Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I visisted my local dealer today expecting to drool a bit and not find much in stock. I managed to find one unit in stock minus a couple of options that I was looking for and a dealer VERY willing to deal. Long story short, they offered a very fair trade-in for my car and worked a bit on price. It's a black 300C with the Sound Group II (wanted), the California Wood Trim (wanted), Roof (wanted) and power pedals (not wanted but no biggie). It's missing the HIDs I wanted and the Sat. Radio (of which they said could be added after via MOPAR parts and have the same look/function as factory for a cost tbd which I should find out on Monday). My question is, how important are the HIDs? (ie - are they a deal breaker since they cannot be added after with ease) and anyone have experience with MOPAR replacing the head unit for one with Sirius? We're still negotiating sales price, but it looks like I might be able to get down to/very near Invoice (plus their $500 advertising crap they claim is on the invoice). Rate is at 4.2 for 60 mos and I might be able to get them down to 3.69 for 60 if they do business with National City because of current promotions. At this point, I'm just asking for input from users on their thoughts/recommendations, good or bad. Thanks in advance for letting me pick your brain!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Happy,

It all depends on what you want. If you cannot wait.
HIDs are a great option, they do make a difference. Does it have protection group II?? Sirius can be done later as stated.
check with the forum vendors for prices.

It seems that the $500 is a joke! I'd get more info on that one.
If you haven't make sure you find out the invoice of what you're looking at as well.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From checking various websites, I see my car stickering at $35975 and invoicing at $33325 but their invoice shows almost another $550. Two of the items were gas (!?!?!) at $15 and customer mailers at $25, then 2 additional coded items which I am guessing are dealership advertising fees, etc. I was actually told by someone else in the industry (and not at this dealer) that those are now appearing on dealer invoices and might not be BS. It does not have the protection group II, but I wasn't looking at that as an option. (Should I be???) My main concern was the HIDs. I can wait if I have to, but the longer I do, the more my trade-in will fall in value because it's coming close to a mileage threshold that's going to considerably drop the value. But, if it's an option that absolutely should not be done without, then I might. I'm hoping to go back on Monday evening and drive the car at night to get a feel for the std. lamps. Has anyone noticed if the std lights are crap/weak or decent? I know in my existing car my std. lights are horrid!

·
Registered
824 Posts
MrHappy said:
Has anyone noticed if the std lights are crap/weak or decent? I know in my existing car my std. lights are horrid!
Put it this way, I wish I had Protection Group II. I got my car early on and I took what I could get. I could of waited for about 3 weeks and could of got a Black fully loaded 300C, but I wanted mine 3 weeks early so I took a Midnight Blue with Sound Group II with no nav. and No Protection Group II which I really wanted both of those options.

To answer the question about the STD lights, they are okay. I wish I had the good ones. I see other 300C's with the nice blue lights and I want to kick myself. If you can wait and get what you wan't, and don't settle for less.

But, you have to do what you have to do, and if value may drop on your trade in, well, just take what you can! Later you can get the good lights on your ride when you get more dough, it might be like $500 to upgrade but at least time is on your side.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Happy,

PGII is a great safety feature. I would suggest it.
I chose not to get smokers package/engine blk heater/sirius.

Again, do what you like.
If i were in your shoes I'd negotiate the trade-in on an ordered C. If you have to, do some more research and take information from the forums. Again, that $500 is bogus. If a dealer charges extra for "advertising" on top of your purchase of a $35K+ car???? Do not let the dealer 'talk' you into something you do not want, just to overcharge you for something you do not want.

Again, if you cannot find what you want be patient. Order your C w/your options and negotiate the trade in.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not exactly on topic but didn't want to start a new thread... I remember reading a thread a while back talking about some way to help improve launches on the car but for the life of me I can't find it. Anyone remember this or have I gone off the deep end with the thought of finally getting a C? :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Buy it!!! Tell them to throw in the Sirius with installation and you'll sign. The dealer won't let you leave over the Sirius. It's a simple upgrade! $500 over invoice isn't bad for a car on the lot if you consider most everyone else is paying MSRP. Your financing rate is outstanding. If Chrysler financial is still offering the $1000 off to finance-use them and stop at NCB on your way home. Sirius is free for the first year. I would maybe consider a Chrysler extended warranty too but that's just me. Tomorrow this car can be in your garage!!!!!! You live in Ohio?

·
Registered
731 Posts
The $500 advertising, $15 for gas, and the other add-ons were always part of the dealer invoice. When you go to a dealer offering to pay invoice, expect these items to be included.

There is even a blurb on Edmonds referring to the advertising fee add on.

The amount of the adv. fee is determined by what part of the country you live in. For arguments sake, if you live near a big city, like NY or Chicago, you will pay more as it will obviously cost more to place ads there as opposed to Oshkosh

Think of it, it seems every time you turn on the TV, there are adds for autos. Who do you think pays for all that?

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
jeepgrady is correct, the adv. fee is not bogus... Good luck with your decision, here's my $.02:

The HID lights are great, but not so sure the lack would be a deal-breaker for me, why not take a test-drive at night to be sure? Sirius is no biggie...

Protection Group II... now THAT would be a deal breaker for me, I'll never have another car without this OR navigation (street rods aside)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
With a car even our Cs, any and all prices are negotiable! If you do your homework and at least are as good as the saleman you can buy a car a little over invoice.

So I stick with bogus charges. The buyer must be educated.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
tekhen said:
With a car even our Cs, any and all prices are negotiable! If you do your homework and at least are as good as the saleman you can buy a car a little over invoice.

So I stick with bogus charges. The buyer must be educated.
not trying to be argumentative tekhen :)
Directly from Edmunds:
Most vehicles carry a legitimate advertising fee levied by either the manufacturer or by regional dealer groups. National or regional advertising fees, when charged, should not exceed 1 percent of the vehicle's MSRP. Because individual dealership advertising is a cost of doing business, you should never pay an advertising fee levied by the dealer rather than a regional dealer association or the manufacturer.

If the ad fee is in the car's invoice, paying it seems unavoidable. If it has been written into the dealership's contract as an additional item, you may be able to get it removed. We know buyers who have protested the fee and successfully bought the car without paying it.
That being said, you can try to negotiate $500 out of the deal and tell yourself it was the ad fees.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all the input everyone. I think I'm gonna try to get them down to invoice (which includes the $500 adv. fees) which in my mind with then be invoice + $500 which was my original goal. I am going to test drive tomorrow night to check out the std. lights and get an accurate price on the Sirius installed to see how much more on top that goes. If all goes well, I'll be a part of the club by Monday evening!!! Now if only I could find that thread about improving the launch by training the computer or something like it... (it was a late evening when I read it a while back!)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hemeee,

When I bought my C w/ the $1k off, I paid less then invoice outside of taxes.

Even at invoice I personally believe that this is not the manufactured cost of the car. As I am sure you know the big three make their money off of their financial legs and not thier automobiles.

There are ways(as you mentioned) to get around fees. This is why I say bogus. They are add-ons just as the $900 for the purchase and install of an E&G grille.

An educated consumer(that is why I love this forum) will not allow themselves to be overcharged.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
tekhen said:
Hemeee,
When I bought my C w/ the $1k off, I paid less then invoice outside of taxes.

Even at invoice I personally believe that this is not the manufactured cost of the car. As I am sure you know the big three make their money off of their financial legs and not thier automobiles.

There are ways(as you mentioned) to get around fees. This is why I say bogus. They are add-ons just as the $900 for the purchase and install of an E&G grille.

An educated consumer(that is why I love this forum) will not allow themselves to be overcharged.
Hey tekhen, I always enjoy your posts, but your last line really gave me a giggle... I consider myself a fairly educated consumer, yet I did allow myself to be overcharged out of pure lust... er, love for the car.

Money wasn't really an issue and I justified the "overcharge" in a number of ways: I felt, and still feel, the car is underpriced (shh don't tell DCX); I knew the price was going up; the C6 Corvette or Infiniti FX45 I had considered would have been another $10K+; my time is valuable and I had already spent considerable time searching incl. 2 orders that never developed; the dealership gave us nearly $2500 more for our BMW than any other offered... etc, etc, etc, (this was a lot car and remember I'm in CA).

So instead of looking at it as though we "allowed ourselves to be overcharged", I prefer to say we allowed the dealer to get as much satisfaction from the sale as we did... only my smiles will last years! :D

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The real skinny on dealer cost

Dealer Cost equals IP minus (DH+AC+FPK)

IP = Invoice price
DH=Dealer Holdback
2-3% of MSRP cost is held back by Chrysler, and will be given to the dealer quarterly, after the dealer actually sells the car. Dealer holdback is never discussed with the public. It is untouchable dealer profit. It explains how dealers can sell at invoice and still make money
AC=Advertising Charges
Dealers usually get $200-$300 for advertising the car. Some dealers bill you for this, when in fact they have no reason to do so, because Chrysler pays it to them, neutralizing their cost.
CMA= Chrysler Marketing Adjustment
Usually given to the dealers: $100 - $300 to offset the dealer's interest costs for keeping the car on his lot.

For slower moving cars (not the 300c) a couple of other Chrysler to dealer kickbacks can apply to the equation lowering the dealer cost.

A tank of gas (72 litres in Canada where I live) is included in the invoice price of the car - not a chargeable extra.

The dealer can invent other spurious charges to put on the invoice if he wants --- just don't accept them!

Helpful? ;)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hemeee,

The way I look at it, you are not the "target audience"!
When I say educated consumer, I mean the ones that want the car but are "counting the dollars".

Others(including myself) are trying to "beat" the dealer at their game. Even though these "charges" are written I have always tried to base things on the fact that they are trying to make an extra buck. (What is that telephone universal phone charge? etc...)

They try to take a buck, I try to keep 2.

The post we have will hopefully make MrHappy be more educated in his decision, again that's why I enjoy this forum and the good folk here!

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
PGII is more important than HID though the HID is excellent at night. You sound like you are getting a good deal, I added Nav in my garage and it functions factory perfect, I imagine sirius would be the same. Hermino just detailed adding factory HID so it can be done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the HID and they are awesome, if you want them you will regret not getting them every time you see one with them. PG II is a good value and good safety. May save you on insurance too.
I paid sticker. $39460 plus tax and title. No extra BS. It was all backed out of the sticker price. I kinda liked not haggling for a change. I couldn't have dealed anyway, there was another couple waiting for me to walk and this was the last one they had. They sold 9 cars in 3 days.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow... guess I got a good deal then. They didn't move off the $500 over but I thought it was fair since they offered a very reasonable amount for trade (near private party sale value) and got me in at 3.69% for 60 months. The dealer said they'd install the Sirius for $400 out the door but I'm going to wait even at the discounted price. Just seems a bit much for something I don't NEED. Might eventually tackle it myself someday. Thanks again all who've helped... I'll be picking up my new C tomorrow afternoon! If you're in Ohio, I'll be the guy in the black C who can't stop smiling!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts