Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Chrysler 300C RWD 5.7 Hemi, Diablosport tune, BC Racing Coils, Catless, SLP Loudmouth
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had this clunky noise coming from my rear driver’s side of my suspension ever since I bought my car. It drives my (car guy) passengers absolutely crazy. Since buying it I’ve changed out the stock wheels and tires, got rid of the old shocks and springs and put in a brand new set of coil overs, still clunking! All my friends constantly argue about what it is, one will say sway bar end links, another says “I already checked them” and it’s absolutely driving us insane. We even took the time to get under it w/ a rubber mallet, no luck. Has this happened to any of you at all/ could you fellas provide any insight or suggestions!?

·
Registered
2011 Chrysler 300C RWD 5.7 Hemi, Diablosport tune, BC Racing Coils, Catless, SLP Loudmouth
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you describe under what conditions the clunk occurs ? Over rough pavement, turning, breaking accelerating,, etc
I can’t believe I forgot to add that, it’s over any uneven surface basically, railroad tracks, bumpy pavement, dirt roads, ect. You can tell it’s not a natural sound tho, sounds like something is lose and being jostled around. But my friend went over the whole suspension and said everything was tight.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
179 Posts
We have a 2014 Dodge Charger SXT in our stable of vehicles and it has done this forever, if it's the same type of sound. Without hearing it I wouldn't know.......but I could never figure out what it was. Still doing it to this day.

Years ago we were down in Florida with the car, and the noise was so bad that my wife wouldn't allow us to drive it any longer without trying to get it fixed. I took the car to a local Firestone service center and paid royally for what they thought would resolve it. They took the lower control arm from the right rear off and showed it to me. Said that it was all jacked where the bushings were. So they replaced the arm (new bushings) and the noise went away........only to come right back about a month later. VERY FRUSTRATING. I banged and banged on that car with a rubber mallet just like you have and couldn't make anything sound like what it does when it's rolling. Ours will even do it on a smooth surface with no irregularities.

Reactions: Wannabe SRT

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have a 2014 Dodge Charger SXT in our stable of vehicles and it has done this forever, if it's the same type of sound. Without hearing it I wouldn't know.......but I could never figure out what it was. Still doing it to this day.

Years ago we were down in Florida with the car, and the noise was so bad that my wife wouldn't allow us to drive it any longer without trying to get it fixed. I took the car to a local Firestone service center and paid royally for what they thought would resolve it. They took the lower control arm from the right rear off and showed it to me. Said that it was all jacked where the bushings were. So they replaced the arm (new bushings) and the noise went away........only to come right back about a month later. VERY FRUSTRATING. I banged and banged on that car with a rubber mallet just like you have and couldn't make anything sound like what it does when it's rolling. Ours will even do it on a smooth surface with no irregularities.
It’s lasted THAT long?? Sheesh. It doesn’t bother me as much anymore because I’m so used to it. But everyone of my friends get mad and tell me

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
179 Posts
It’s lasted THAT long??
Yes Sir, sure did. The same hasn't developed in my 2018 300s.....yet.

At one point, I sprayed the entire rear passenger side suspension with PB blaster and then again with white lithium grease just to see if I could get it to go away. It did for a short period of time again, then right back. Nothing ever fell apart or otherwise made the car unsafe that I know of.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Just a shot in the dark here: look for cracked welds at all mounting points. Seems to me you have eliminated the components as defective so now look past them. Mind you, I have no special knowledge here - just ""got a feeling that I can't let go".

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
179 Posts
Whats in the trunk? Or under the floor of the trunk?? Just sayin'...could be simple...
I thought the same thing with my "noises" from the rear. I took out and moved the spare tire and everything else in there and made sure the battery was tied down very well. Eliminated all that and it's still there. I would be surprised if it's anything in the trunk itself.......but I have been wrong before.

Reactions: Ratbike228

·
Registered
145 Posts
My car is developing a similar noise on both sides in the rear, a subtle clunking while moving slowly over uneven or small bumps. Once the car is in motion it seems to disappear. It’s gotten louder in the past 10k so it’s time to investigate. I hope it’s not the tension link, thing will cost you your first born.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I’ve had this clunky noise coming from my rear driver’s side of my suspension ever since I bought my car. It drives my (car guy) passengers absolutely crazy. Since buying it I’ve changed out the stock wheels and tires, got rid of the old shocks and springs and put in a brand new set of coil overs, still clunking! All my friends constantly argue about what it is, one will say sway bar end links, another says “I already checked them” and it’s absolutely driving us insane. We even took the time to get under it w/ a rubber mallet, no luck. Has this happened to any of you at all/ could you fellas provide any insight or suggestions!?
Try rocking the car side to side. This will simulate a differential in left/right bumps. If the clunk happens then, it is the sway bar end links. This won't show up when you just bounce the car up and down. Best to lay under it and have someone else rock it side to side for you. Put your hand on the different suspension parts. You'll find it. Also, check the "suitcase" mufflers. The rear most bolt/hanger can be not in place properly causing a clunk.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try rocking the car side to side. This will simulate a differential in left/right bumps. If the clunk happens then, it is the sway bar end links. This won't show up when you just bounce the car up and down. Best to lay under it and have someone else rock it side to side for you. Put your hand on the different suspension parts. You'll find it. Also, check the "suitcase" mufflers. The rear most bolt/hanger can be not in place properly causing a clunk.
Will do 🫡, as far as the mufflers, I haven’t got any, I have an aftermarket exhaust system

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any answers to the problem yet ?
No sir, unfortunately not. I have coil overs so me and a friend are going to take the rears out and see if putting the spring isolators back will stop it because its “metal on metal” but the person who installed them for me said they weren’t necessary anymore. So after that if the noise persists then we have absolutely no solution whatsoever. End links are fine, all suspension components are tight and secure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Following... just bought a 2011 with a slight clunk coming from the rear when hitting bumper. Thought it might be shocks (116k on car) so we are replacing with bilstein b6. From the comments it may be something else.

I've had jeeps / suvs for the past 12 years... I forgot that you can't just crawl under a car 😆

·
Registered
Chrysler 300 2011
3 Posts
ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED…
I have a 2011 300 and it has been lowered a little and ever since that was done I have a HORRIBLE RATTLING in back that no one can figure out. All of the following things have been replaced

Sway bar end links, camber arm links, tension links, springs, shock.
None of that changed or helped the rattling and it is driving me crazy.
What else possibly could this be??
I am so worried that something major is about to break on me.
daily driver and mother of two so I can’t be left on foot.
anyone has any idea what this could possibly be?? TIA🥰

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED…
I have a 2011 300 and it has been lowered a little and ever since that was done I have a HORRIBLE RATTLING in back that no one can figure out. All of the following things have been replaced

Sway bar end links, camber arm links, tension links, springs, shock.
None of that changed or helped the rattling and it is driving me crazy.
What else possibly could this be??
I am so worried that something major is about to break on me.
daily driver and mother of two so I can’t be left on foot.
anyone has any idea what this could possibly be?? TIA🥰
If it’s any help I’ve had this problem for a couple years now and nothing bad has come of it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts