Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car has started making large "clunk"-ing noise coming from the suspension every time I go over frost heaves, or hit a pot hole. Undulations on the road result in NO noise whatsoever. Could it be the suspension bushings/mounts? I'm not hearing it on the highway (unless I go over some radical bumps). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Could possibly be a broken inner tie rod... Common problem with these cars

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could possibly be a broken inner tie rod... Common problem with these cars
Tire rods were changed under warranty 6K miles ago. Do you think it broke so soon?

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
Might be (broken) shocks or (more likely) ball joints... that's why its over bumps, not just on the road.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Might be (broken) shocks or (more likely) ball joints... that's why its over bumps, not just on the road.
I was hoping it was a cold related gremlin........
Any ideas on how much (parts and labor) for either one?

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
No idea of cost.... have it checked out by a competent shop. Parts for those items are relatively cheap though, if that is the problem

You still under warranty?

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Speaking of Gremlins

I was hoping it was a cold related gremlin........
Any ideas on how much (parts and labor) for either one?
The fact that you have Canuck in your handle and live in Montreal and Toronto may have something to do with the gremlins and tempting fate?:)

In all seriousness though, a trip to your Chrysler dealer for a ride with a service tech sound like a smart move.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No idea of cost.... have it checked out by a competent shop. Parts for those items are relatively cheap though, if that is the problem

You still under warranty?
No. I have 80,000 miles (130,000 kms) so I'm out of luck. I was hoping to avoid the cost, but no biggee. Thanks.

The fact that you have Canuck in your handle and live in Montreal and Toronto may have something to do with the gremlins and tempting fate?:)

In all seriousness though, a trip to your Chrysler dealer for a ride with a service tech sound like a smart move.
The last service tech at a dealer here missed the fact I needed new rods and a steering rack when I brought it in for an alignment (!) :pat: . I've had better luck with the dealers in Toronto who caught the problem and repaired it under warranty.
And I bought the car specifically for long trips, since I travel back and forth between Montreal and Toronto once a week. Can't think of a better car to do that trip in, and I've owned a TownCar and a S500.
On the other hand, maybe living in 2 cities evoked the wrath of a gremlin from French-Occupied-Canada? Nah.......

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
On the other hand, maybe living in 2 cities evoked the wrath of a gremlin from French-Occupied-Canada? Nah.......
If it is just a matter of driving between Montreal and Toronto I think your OK. I was afraid for you if you were a Vancouver Canucks fan living in either Toronto or Montreal.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it is just a matter of driving between Montreal and Toronto I think your OK. I was afraid for you if you were a Vancouver Canucks fan living in either Toronto or Montreal.
What? There are other hockey teams in Canada for the Habs to beat up on other than the Maple Leafs? :)

I brought the car to the shop today. Nice guys, that shop. They specialize in restoring Hemis (Cudas, Challengers, etc... you see his cars on Barrett Jackson every year)from 69 to 71. Anyways, I pull in and tell the owner the problem. He moves a SuperBee out of the way, hoists my car up, and goes directly to the ball joints. A few minutes later, he yanks on the lower control arm (passenger) and re-creates the "clunking" noise. Ordered the part from Chrysler today (he would have machined one for me, but I didn't have the time to wait).

So thanks to all for their advice.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
What? There are other hockey teams in Canada for the Habs to beat up on other than the Maple Leafs? :)

I brought the car to the shop today. Nice guys, that shop. They specialize in restoring Hemis (Cudas, Challengers, etc... you see his cars on Barrett Jackson every year)from 69 to 71. Anyways, I pull in and tell the owner the problem. He moves a SuperBee out of the way, hoists my car up, and goes directly to the ball joints. A few minutes later, he yanks on the lower control arm (passenger) and re-creates the "clunking" noise. Ordered the part from Chrysler today (he would have machined one for me, but I didn't have the time to wait).

So thanks to all for their advice.
Good to hear it got resolved...now quit tempting fate and change your handle to MoparHab.:cool:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to hear it got resolved...now quit tempting fate and change your handle to MoparHab.:cool:
But then how would my friends in the U.S. know I'm Canadian? You can't type "eh?" after every posting, eh?:dance:

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
Glad you got it figured out!!

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tie Rod Bushings

1 - 17 of 17 Posts