Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's going on Hope everyone is well I have a concern I have a all-wheel drive Chrysler 300C 5.7 for some reason on my display vehicle information it says rear wheel drive but I have a all wheel drive that this is something I can fix or has to be brought up to the dealership?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
What vehicle model, year etc? Later models have Chrysler's intelligent AWD (you'll find lots of threads on the forum here) which only uses AWD when the weather is cold, when wipers have been on for a while or when wheel slip has happened. Otherwise for normal use the transmission reverts to RWD only.

If you have a pre (think it's pre) 2010 model then yes you might have a problem

·
Registered
102 Posts
What they said, I have the same system. Under normal driving conditions that vehicle info display in the EVIC will say RWD. It does that simply for MPG, it turns off the AWD when not needed. But if anything indicates that AWD will be needed it will switch to AWD. If there's any wheel slip, if you turn the traction control off, put it in auto stick, turn the wipers on high, it's cold out, etc. Any of those things will make it swap to AWD.

What that display really indicates is if the front axle is connected. There's two elements that need to activate for power to be applied to the front wheels. There's a mechanical disconnect in the front axle and a clutch in the transfer case. Cause the mechanical disconnect takes a few seconds to activate and will do so with a clunk if done under load the system connects it ahead of time any time it predicts a need for AWD. Whether or not the front axle is connected is what that display is telling you.

Even when that display says AWD most of the time power still isn't going to the front wheels. Power won't be applied until the system thinks it's actually needed and applies the clutch in the transfer case. It's a FANTASTIC system, just let it do it's thing, it works great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts