Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new owner of 300C, had one delivery from Florida for 1k under MSRP, these basterd Southern California dealers want 4K above MSRP.

After reading a couple of messages, I'm confused about the effect of cold air intake system, I guess because 300C not using MAF so the cold air intake system won't have any effect?

I want to find out wheter it is worth of $170 to buy these air intake system.

Cheers

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
i have the airRaid kit on mine as well as NOS and i beleive the AIR RAID kit to be the best money spent on the project.....the noise it adds to the car is AWESOME!!! and along with driving without a hood it really adds alot of horse......

ps. havent used the NOS yet .....gotta get some diff. wheels..........

·
Registered
52 Posts
Any good quality cold air induction that provides a less restrictive air flow is of benefit on any car. You'll for sure notice a couple extra ponies.

·
Registered
239 Posts
tommyz said:
i have the airRaid kit on mine as well as NOS and i beleive the AIR RAID kit to be the best money spent on the project.....the noise it adds to the car is AWESOME!!! and along with driving without a hood it really adds alot of horse......

ps. havent used the NOS yet .....gotta get some diff. wheels..........

Driving with the hood off? :eek: What kind of car do you have? A 300? A 300 what? NOS is a company, and what does "gotta get some diff wheels" have to do with that? :rolleyes: :confused: :)

I see you are brand new here, welcome to the forums. Please provide some additional info on your car!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I started by replaceing the stock filter with a K&N flat filter, and did not notice any appreciable difference. I was also hesitant about spending any more money after reading a lot of the posts here about mass air sensors verus speed density systems, so I spoke with the service manager at my dealership who is really into mods and performance. He told me that we do have a speed density system on the 300C, but more air is more air and that it will make a difference.

I went with the Airraid Open box system and definitely recommend getting one. My butt dyno tells me there is an noticeable increase in performance and the sound is incredible! especially if you have a modified exhaust. Spend the money, you won't be dissapointed. Anyone want to buy a slightly used K&N filter? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
lol......i have the 05' lava red c with 27"s wheels and custom forged spindles , with a nitrous express 100 shot and a AIRRAID cold air intake, i drove it to indy without a hood because i had a funtional ram air hood made for the car and i had to go pick it up

mmm.....what else......oh MBRPcustom cuda tip exhuast , about 3k of stereo goodies....and some carbon fiber floormats....oh a carbon fiber rear lip spoiler, and a carbon fiber front chin , a deep dish grill with a stainless steel insert, oh and im working on a stainless steel roof accent as well.. oh and the reason for not shooting up my NOS is the damn wheels/ tires cost 12k and im not into braking my car.....

so if that is enough background for you , we can get back to talkin about our cars.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am bias so go ahead take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I have seen all the intakes and regardless of the other items you have purchased the basic warm air intakes produce no more gain than the removal of the silencer.

Proof is in the dyno found on d-o-d-g-e-f-o-r-u-m-s by phantom505. you will also find that is where my bias lies I made him a “Real” cold air intake.

Your best bet it to do your own research as to what you like in looks and style. All the warm air intakes offer the same gains . My unit is way out of your budget so don’t even bother.

The map for this car is pig rich so yes there are gains to be had within the current design even with a cold air intake.

The big difference will be noticed with the headers and exhaust. That’s when the intake showdown will end.

Ty

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I read somwhere that the trans can only handle 425 torque (same as the SRT8). With headers, exhaust and cold intake how long do you guys think the trans will last without any very pricey upgrades?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone used the system offered by K and N? How much horsepower and /or fuel mileage increse? K and N typhoon system

·
Registered
239 Posts
speedyguy said:
I am bias so go ahead take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I have seen all the intakes and regardless of the other items you have purchased the basic warm air intakes produce no more gain than the removal of the silencer.

Proof is in the dyno found on d-o-d-g-e-f-o-r-u-m-s by phantom505. you will also find that is where my bias lies I made him a “Real” cold air intake.

Your best bet it to do your own research as to what you like in looks and style. All the warm air intakes offer the same gains . My unit is way out of your budget so don’t even bother.

The map for this car is pig rich so yes there are gains to be had within the current design even with a cold air intake.

The big difference will be noticed with the headers and exhaust. That’s when the intake showdown will end.

Ty
OK, I went to that forum, found lots and lots of discussion on the CAI but never saw anything about dyno numbers. Where was that? Did I miss something?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I contacted K&N and asked for a dyno chart. They said they'll be posting it on thier web site in the future. However, peak horspower gain with thier Typhoon kit for the 300C is 12.8HP.

·
Registered
232 Posts
King,

Some of us will always want to push the limits, I personaly would be more than satisfied with performance close to or equal to the SRT8.

·
Registered
46 Posts
numbers are misleading

I used to worked for a performance shop that sold performance products for high end German cars. The horsepower numbers these manufacturers of cold air intake, throttle body, exhaust, header, etc is MISLEADING. For example, a manufacturer would advertise that their cold air intake would gain 12hp, well this is true, but also misleading. What they don't tell you is that the cold air system is MEASURED with a 12hp gain by adding the header, exhaust, throttle body, ect. and the dyno run is with a cold fan plowing on the engine to bring down the temp, not real road load testing. The most HP gain we ever got with just running the cold air intake was 4hp!!.

I also worked for DINAN (BMW Turner) and we would dyno just the air intake alone, throttle body alone, exhaust alone, ect. and we would disclose hp numbers for each product, and also combined numbers. With everything COMBINED we usually saw a gain of about 20-22HP for an M3. Its funny everytime I read one of those import magazines and see ads for air intakes or exhaust with claims of 20hp gains.

Scarface

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Thanks for your factual input. I've been considering a custom cold air intake.

A 4 hp gain on the Hemi - king of torque - engine isn't worth the expense of the kits - IMO.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Good info scarface, I too will forgo this cosmetic upgrade. I knew that testing was done under cold lab conditions some going so far as to pack ice on the intake manifold.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just a thought, why not just buy a cone filter, and remove the original filter box, and connect it to the existing 4 inch intake tube.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts