Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a CHRYSLER 300C , 2007 Model with 55,000 miles . About 2 weeks ago the Electronic clutch control light and Engine block light both came on and would not clear whilst driving. I took it in to my local garage and was told that the Swirl Port Motor needs replacing and would cost me GBP 570.00 + Labour GBP 450.00 + VAT , so costly.
The thing is I love this car, and I am getting it fixed, but is this problem likely to occur again or do I need to sell.
I have seen on other sites that this is a regular occurrence .I do not have any error codes.
Regards,

Colin

·
Registered
652 Posts
There is a cheaper alternative - Chrysler 300c Swirl Port Emulator . Plug it in, leave the broken swirl in situ and drive happily ever after. Passes MOTs and runs fine.

If you are getting it fixed, however, there's a seal that needs replacing in the pipe that drips onto the swirl. Check the many swirl related threads on here for details.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear talldave,

Thank you for your advise, so I can just leave it where it is. I will contact the garage, hopefully they have not started the work. If they have I will mention that they have to replace the pipe that drips into the swirl.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Colin

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Hello,
I do not have any error codes.
How did you check for error codes? If the swirl motor had failed and/or you had warning lights, then there should have been error codes set. Did your engine go into "limp" mode? Hopefully, you will be able to avoid the expense of a new swirl motor by following talldave's advice.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Replacing the turbo inlet pipe is not cheap either.
I made the mistake of having mine changed at the dealership a few years ago. AND they replaced it with the same (orange) seal. There is a site where you can buy just the seal (black) that does not drip, saving you at least £150.00!
Or, you follow the advice and bypass the swirl motor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How did you check for error codes? If the swirl motor had failed and/or you had warning lights, then there should have been error codes set. Did your engine go into "limp" mode? Hopefully, you will be able to avoid the expense of a new swirl motor by following talldave's advice.
Hi ,

I had the warning lights come on for Electronic Clutch Control & Engine Light stayed on, my car drove ok though, but booked it in to the local garage , very costly GBP 1300.00 all in , still at garage.

Thanks & regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just to echo the above points on the swirl emulator that can be bought from the 300C Custom Shop.

I had a similar issue four months ago after only owning the car for a few weeks. My local garage said they would need a couple of hours to strip down, to investigate, even before they could let me know what needed fixing.

I decided to research myself and thanks to this excellent forum and with the help from the 300C Custom Shop, I bought the swirl emulator for £40, fitted myself in about 30 mins and everything now works perfectly.

I was very happy!!!

Such a great car, makes me smile every time I get in it!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just to echo the above points on the swirl emulator that can be bought from the 300C Custom Shop.

I had a similar issue four months ago after only owning the car for a few weeks. My local garage said they would need a couple of hours to strip down, to investigate, even before they could let me know what needed fixing.

I decided to research myself and thanks to this excellent forum and with the help from the 300C Custom Shop, I bought the swirl emulator for £40, fitted myself in about 30 mins and everything now works perfectly.

I was very happy!!!

Such a great car, makes me smile every time I get in it!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi AB77,

Wow GBP 40.00 for a swirl emulator, in future I will get my stuff from the 300C Custom shop, mind you I have no clue on to fit it, but still, I will get a Mechanic to fit it.

Cheers,

Colin

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hi AB77,

Wow GBP 40.00 for a swirl emulator, in future I will get my stuff from the 300C Custom shop, mind you I have no clue on to fit it, but still, I will get a Mechanic to fit it.

Cheers,

Colin
The pictures you need are in post 30 from Paul at the custom300cshop here: Link

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hi AB77,

Cheers,

Colin
Its so easy to fit yourself. Id never done more on an engine than check the oil before and I managed it no trouble. From what I remember you remove engine cover, undo jubilee clip from the pipe to the port, lift it up, unplug something and plug in the emulator. Theres a guide somewhere. Took me 20 minutes and most of that time was because I was pussy footing around sh*tting myself!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
J_LI
Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums
Join the 300c forum community to discuss the Chrysler 300c, SRT8, horsepower specs, AWD system and so much more!
Full Forum Listing