Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago my check engine light came on early in the morning on my way to work. It stayed on later that night on the way back home and I figured I call and make an appointment. Well, on the way to the grocery the light was mysteriously off and I just figured oh well it must not have been major.
OK, so I just did the self-diagnostic thing and it pulled code p0524, which is Oil Pressure Too Low in OBD2 lingo. I immediately checked the oil level (yes, at 2:30am) and that checked out just fine.
Now I'm nervous. The car wouldn't just pull that code out of its @ss for no good reason... yet at the same time I'm confused as to why a code that "I" would consider major would just turn itself off.
I'm especially concerned because I just ran a few 0-60 runs today with the EVIC easter egg I found out about on the forum.:pat:
Help please

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
I don't have an '07 service manual, but this is from the '06 one:

When Monitored:
Engine running.

Set Condition:
The engine oil pressure never reaches the calibrated specification to allow the MDS activation.

Possible Causes
ENGINE OIL/ENGINE MECHANICAL
(G6) ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO BATTERY VOLTAGE
RESISTANCE (G6) ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT
(G6) ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
RESISTANCE IN (F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT
(F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
RESISTANCE IN THE (K900) SENSOR RETURN CIRCUIT
ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR
PCM

The manual lists an Intermittent Condition diagnostic procedure for them to go through when the code is not active. It seems most likely to be an electrical problem rather than truly oil pressure. I'd have it looked at, personally, but wouldn't fret too much over it until you can have it checked, as long as it doesn't come back and stay on. Maybe one of the Chrysler service techs on the board will see this and offer some better advice.

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
Some things the manual states are:

Ensure that the engine oil is at the proper level. Also, check the customers oil change history to ensure that the oil is being changed at the correct intervals and that the proper oil viscosity is being used.

The following items must be considered before determining the cause of this DTC. Failure to do so may lead to misdiagnosis.
  • ENGINE MECHANICAL TOLERANCES OUT OF SPECIFICATION
  • ENGINE OIL PRESSURE OUT OF SPECIFICATION
  • LOW ENGINE OIL
  • OIL DIRTY OR DETERIORATED (Lack of scheduled oil changes)
  • CORRECT VISCOSITY
  • ENGINE OIL CONTAMINATED (i.e., coolant and/or fuel)
  • If any of the above conditions are found, repair as necessary.
I agree it's probably an electrical problem, which may have cleared itself. Keep an eye on it and if it comes up again your best bet is to take it in. If you've done your own oil changes just have proof you've done oil changes as per the the recommended intervals AND that the proper viscosity was used.

Let us know what happens!

Bernie

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help.
I'm taking the car in tomorrow to have it looked at. Oddly enough, I found all of the window stickers in the glove box from the previous owner that are put at the top corner of the windshield after every oil change from a local place called Master Lube. They're all accounted for from every oil change the guy had from about 6k miles to where I'm at now at 17k miles. So the oil's been changed routinely but could still have gotten contaminated.
I'm glad you guys mentioned you thought it was electrical too.That's what I was hoping but I'll let you all know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts