Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so after reading 45 pages from one post and some 32 pages on another I am more confused than when I started.

I have been patiently waiting on some wheels to come in, I would have had them installed on Saturday but we had some rubbing issues...

Still the same style wheel but, for the same price, my wheel guy actually let me pic between:

The VERDE HELIX

22 x 8.5- with 265/35
on them

or

20 x 8.5 - with 245/45 on them...

After reading I guess people have had performance issues....

Now what are we talking about? can't go as fast, I know some said cornering suffers, and someone mentioned loss on the straights but what am I really expecting with the 22's?

A little rough ride is fine by me but I don't want to slow down...
LOL, I guess fast and rough is okay by me....
Need help... please let me know what I am up against performance wise...
i can deal with rolling fenders and that kind of thing I just want to still be able to stomp on the gas and let my hair fly (with out losing power or worry about severe wheel vibration) I know people with 24's complain about vibration a lot so I'm not even going that route.... thanks guys appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
big guns

It's a function of weight and diameter. The weight you add with wheels and tires is "unsprung" weight, and will detract from ride quality based on how much heavier they are compared to the factory wheels. A few pounds is not noticeable, but big heavy wheels can really ruin a nice ride.

Then there's diameter. Not the wheel, the wheel/tire combo. The larger they are compared to stock, the more HP is lost trying to turn them. You can usually carefully control this with a small upgrade but it quickly becomes a problem with HUGE wheels. Weight is still a player here as well, I have seen a beautiful performing car become a real road toad with some huge wheels added.

To each his own, it's your car, you get to do whatever YOU want!

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
The 265/35/22's diameter is 29.30", which is a lot taller than the stock 18" 28.63 inches.
Unless you fix the speedo with Superchips/Diablo/Starscan, your EVIC 0-60times will look worse. You are also effectively changing the gearing by adding a taller tire, which will probably hurt real performance a little bit.
You are also adding more weight with 22"s vs 20's.

The 245/45/20's are an almost perfect fit/diameter, at 28.68".

If you care about performance than go with the 20" wheels.

You should also consider 275/40/20's.

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
I can't tell any difference with my 22's at all....

But its like steve and joey said.. weight. If you buy heavy cast 22's, you'll likely pay 'some' performance penalty... and might have vibration issues that can be tricky to find the culprit. All in all, unless it is severe, I don't think you'll really notice, or be too concerned.

If you can afford forged rims, their lighter weight will reduce or eliminate the above penalty. It gets confusing in all the threads here since not everyone has any, or any combo, of the above symptoms ( I went back and forth for two years reading those posts). I don't think it is that bad of a tradeoff if you are wanting the look, others may be upset I said that since it is a personal choice, and you may or may not have issues. So if you want 22's, get the lightest set you can, and be prepared to possibly give up some things. At least you'll be prepared if it happens.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My .02cents is with a bigger engine such as 300c hemi or the SRT8, i would put 22's. With 3.5 or 2.7 I'll stick with 20's. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, think the 22's I'm looking at are only a smidge heavier than the factory wheels, guess that means I have run an extra few miles in the morning to make up for the dif...
The wheels should be in by 3pm my time, so whoo- hoo, can't wait to get mounted....:arms:

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
I think you'll love the wheels! You know these folks will beg you for pics, so hope you are prepared! ;)

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
i have the 2.7L v6 engine...

ive had the 17" stockers, 18" C chrome wheels, and now 22" Dropstars DS02

to be honest, they all ride pretty much the same. you might feel a few extra vibrations with the 22s on rough roads. but overall, barely noticeable.

performance- i see no loss of it. not that a 2.7 has any to begin with
breaking- i see no loss of that either.
cornering- i can still take corners at decent speeds- no worries

weight: my rims weigh about 41 pounds a piece. these are 1 piece wheels

compare it to OEM 20" SRT wheels, those weigh about 38 or 39 pounds a piece. with the factory RSA or F1 tire on it, its about 59 pounds

i forgot to weigh my rims with the tires, so i dont know how much heavier a 265/35/22 tire weighs compared to a 245/45/20

overall... go with the 22s. fits the wheel well better, no significant loss of performance, breaking, or mpg.

there is an increased "wow" factor.. more heads turning.. and just better looks of the car.

hope this helped

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
went with the 22's pics will be here tomorrow after I hose it down a little . can't have a mucky car pic, course it rained yesterday when I was getting mounted...um the wheels...

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
went with the 22's pics will be here tomorrow after I hose it down a little . can't have a mucky car pic, course it rained yesterday when I was getting mounted...um the wheels...
When you take the pics of the car with the new wheels don't forget to include yourself in the photo, wink wink...

Moose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts