Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized I couldn't change screens on the EVIC display. Thought the display was locked up. Then I realized I couldn't control the stereo either. Then I noticed the steering wheel buttons were not illuminated at all. No controls work on the steering wheel. Has anyone run into this? I couldn't find any obvious fuse problems either.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
952 Posts
Might be a bad wheel (harness inside)? Just fyi, I am getting the buttons/molding around the buttons replaced due to cracking, and apparently this requires an entirely new steering wheel!?!? (Dealer is ordering one so no complaints but seems like overkill IMO)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,418 Posts
JMatt said:
I realized I couldn't change screens on the EVIC display. Thought the display was locked up. Then I realized I couldn't control the stereo either. Then I noticed the steering wheel buttons were not illuminated at all. No controls work on the steering wheel. Has anyone run into this? I couldn't find any obvious fuse problems either.
Ah, the dreaded delayed reaction to having an owner clamber into the trunk via the rear seat backs. ;)

j/k - This is the first I've heard of losing power to the s/w buttons.

Is the horn dead also?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
JMatt said:
I realized I couldn't change screens on the EVIC display. Thought the display was locked up. Then I realized I couldn't control the stereo either. Then I noticed the steering wheel buttons were not illuminated at all. No controls work on the steering wheel. Has anyone run into this? I couldn't find any obvious fuse problems either.
Mine went dead about 9 months ago. Everything on the steering wheel including the horn. Dealer said it was the "Steering Wheel Modulator". They replaced it and it was good to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
MrHappy said:
Might be a bad wheel (harness inside)? Just fyi, I am getting the buttons/molding around the buttons replaced due to cracking, and apparently this requires an entirely new steering wheel!?!? (Dealer is ordering one so no complaints but seems like overkill IMO)
Hnmmmmm...I'm getting this very thing done on Monday where they are replacing the "cracked" sterring wheel covers.

But they are NOT replacing the entire steering wheel. I know because the service tech told me what parts were ordered. And it wasn't a steering wheel.

Strange.

Since we are on this area...anybody else ever notice that their wheel has become "loose" where you can feel it "knock" a little when you move it left to right?? I can even feel/hear this knock movement sometimes when turning the wheel.

Anyone?

JFF:D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The "clock spring" was bad and had to be replaced. Fixing the steering wheel also corrected the red air bag indicator. The nicest thing is that I dropped the car off at 7:30 a.m., and they called with the car finished at 4:00 p.m.

In that time they also fixed the rough idle (TSB), the shift hesitation (TSB), and noted to order the new brake pads (TSB).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,621 Posts
JustForFun said:
Since we are on this area...anybody else ever notice that their wheel has become "loose" where you can feel it "knock" a little when you move it left to right?? I can even feel/hear this knock movement sometimes when turning the wheel.

Anyone?

JFF:D
I had a similar/same problem, but it seemed more like a "creak" than a knock.
Dealer had to wait for a fix/answer from Chrysler before they would touch it. My repair order said
"Removed lower dash panel - Removed kick panel - Losen up center steering support - realigned and tightened".

At the time I had 3100 miles on the car, and it was repaired Jan 2005. The repair fixed the problem. No more creaks/knocks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
joey said:
I had a similar/same problem, but it seemed more like a "creak" than a knock.
Dealer had to wait for a fix/answer from Chrysler before they would touch it. My repair order said
"Removed lower dash panel - Removed kick panel - Losen up center steering support - realigned and tightened".

At the time I had 3100 miles on the car, and it was repaired Jan 2005. The repair fixed the problem. No more creaks/knocks.
Very similar to my issue Joey. I took it in on Monday when they enabled my DRL's. They also fixed the loose steering wheel. What the ticket says:

Guest states that there is a play to the steering column sideways.
Cause: hardware loose on steering column.
Disassemble knee-bolster and covers. Found loose attaching hardware, tighten all bolts and reassemble kneebolster.
/ test Ok
No slap or knock now! :)

JFF:D
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top