Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took her out for a quick drive this afternoon, A couple miles of long straights through farms that leads to 1.5 miles of twisty with 20-40 mph turns (leads to nowhere but an abandoned mine), with clear skies and around 40 degrees. I wanted to push it hard to find out what kind of work needs to be done while hibernating in the garage this winter. :biggthump

I installed Hawk ceramic pads and PowerSlot rotors last summer, thought it'd be good enough for road use. Well... they faded. quick. They worked pretty good from ~130 to 80 for the first few sweepers, noticed a little fade as corners gets tighter, but approaching one of the later 20mph turns, I had to push the pedal to the bottom just to get to an acceptable cornering speed, and late braking was outta the question after that! :wtf: Keep in mind that all this happened within 1.5 miles.

By the time I got to the abandoned mine, thin smoke was coming out of all four corners, so the return trip was, as expected, uneventful. I tried a 60-0 stop afterwards, and they were definitely capable of locking the front wheels up before ABS kicks in.

I'm not ready to throw in big money for Brembos as of now, but this is pretty unacceptable for me. So guys, are there any solutions for this? do I need more aggressive pads? custom cooling ducts? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
The braking system on the 5.7 is good. Before you think about expensive Brembos, I would suggest this. Your rotors are new, so they should be okay, as far as wear is concerned. They may have ridges from pad material, but you can easily fix this.

Discard the Hawk Ceramics and put in StopTech Performance Pads. A very smooth, progressive pad, with a decent wear factor. I use them with my Brembos for daily driving as well as road racing.

Once the pads are installed, be sure to properly bed in the brakes. This is very important. All the details are here: http://www.300cforums.com/forums/brakes/86126-fixing-brake-pulsing-shudder-loss-grip.html

Hope this helps!

·
Currently Away From 300C Forum
19,574 Posts
I agree with NR on the pad swap and I'd also replace the stock rubber brake lines with some braided stainless steel lines.

Also, make sure you have the right DOT spec fluid in the system when you bleed it again.

·
Have to be odd to be No.1
7,943 Posts
Tried those Hawk ceramic pads when I had the 6.1 and had the same symptoms you described. Never liked the feel of them from day one.
If your gunna drive hard you need the stoppers and go with something like NR suggested

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
Ceramics are rarely a good choice for hard working brakes!

Wear your brake dust proudly, as the super clean low dust formulas rarely have the fade resistance you may want or need.

I second the Stoptech proprietary formula. It is unique IME...

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
I agree with all of the above... I think people see ceramic and imagine an exotic sports cars brakes and imagine all the stopping power that comes with it. The ceramic pads we can put on our cars are far from the Carbon Ceramic rotors and pads on the exotics. Whilst they are a great combo on those cars, only together, mix and match and they too suffer from fade and dull pedal feel. Actually most exotics equipped with Carbon Ceramic suffer from dull pedal and an all round squishy feel till they are super hot anyway, they are designed to run and develop pedal the hotter they get, making them a little underpowered for daily driving in some cases. In your case the components making up your pads and rotors are not playing nice, your ceramic pads made for long life and low dust want to bite at temps different to where your rotors will still feel like biting. As was mentioned in a great statement, 'where your brake dust with pride' and get a softer set of pads and that car will stop far better than you are now!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback guys! The stock pads were ceramics, so I picked the Hawk ceramics without a second thought, lesson learned! Looks like I'll be joining my next door neighbor's weekly wheel cleaning too (Bimmer), I ain't even mad lol

So StopTech SS lines & pads are now in my to-do list, just need to settle on the fluids.

I bled with DOT 3 last time as the dealership recommended, which brand would you guys recommend if I want to switch to DOT 4? And would I need to bleed it every year like some of the race fluids I've read about?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts