Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i notice a nice shimmery puddle of water under my car where i normally park at work the other day. I didn't think anything of it (stupid me) and figured it was someone elses car. Well, on my way to work the other day my temp gauge was all over the map. It was up in the red when i looked down at a stop light, then the light turned green. I took off to pull into a parking lot a quarter mile down the road and the temp fell back to normal withing a matter of a couple seconds. At that point i realized the heat wasn't working and the extra cooling fans on the radiator were spinning. So, pull in to said parking lot and the temp moves back up into the red in about 30 seconds or so. I shut down the motor and pop the hood. Coolant reservoir is basically empty, just a few ounces of fluid in it. Do some googling on my phone for overheating engine and find that trying to rev to get the water pump to spin can help, and it did. Same action as when i took off from the green light, the temp came down quickly and the vents resumed blowing hot air....

So, I did some poking around under the hood (and on the forums) last night and heard a hissing from the back side of the water pump after i shut the engine off after the coolant reached temp. Definitely saw some moisture in that general area. Filled up the coolant on my way to work today (to Max Cold mark) and it was back down to basically empty by the time i got to the office (15 minute drive, not freeway). Heat would come and go depending on engine RPMs.

So now to my question. Take a look at the pic below. What is that black tube that comes out of the back side of the water pump? This pic is taken from the passenger side of the engine compartment looking across the engine at the drivers side. It seems the coolant leak is coming out of where that black tube meets the back side of the water pump.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a close up pic of where I believe the coolant to be leaking from. This is where the black tube meets with the back side of the water pump. You can see the residue left behind after the coolant has evaporated from where it is leaking.... Any insight would be helpful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Daily bump, although probably not necessary. Anyone know what that black tube goes to / is for? Looking through the 10,000 page shop manual trying to find it... Gonna tear it apart toady. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just adding my name to this post as I'm also interested as my Chrysler 300c must have a very small leak as I also need to add water now and again t the Max when cold mark.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't know the name of the tube but it's a hard line from the water pump to the engine block. It usually has an Oring seal if it not pressed in the pump. If it is pressed in you won't be able to get it out so it should come with a new water pump.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That tube goes to the heater, i put a little silicone and fix the problem temporarily.

To replace it, is very complicated, you have to take the manifold out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you still have this vehicle.

I bought one and need to ask a few questions.

Are you located in Texas by chance? Of were you when you had this ride?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is a close up pic of where I believe the coolant to be leaking from. This is where the black tube meets with the back side of the water pump. You can see the residue left behind after the coolant has evaporated from where it is leaking.... Any insight would be helpful.

I have the same problem but can not see if you resolved it or any photos please advise

1 - 10 of 10 Posts