Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 300c and noticed I have a coolant leak in my petcock area. I haven't looked to see if its loose because I had just got done driving and the car was hot. But looking down through the engine bay I seen it pooling a little on the black guard/shield near the petcock witch was wet when I looked under. Its not a heavy leak because I havent noticed marks on the driveway but noticed im loosing coolant. Im wondering just incase, can you replace the petcock on these model cars or do you have to replace the entire rad? I've done sum research and seen a 1aAuto video where the tec briefly runs through coolant issues, and said if the petcock is busted or leaking you have to replace the Rad. But I've noticed you can buy a oem petcock for like 10 or15bucks at orallys/autozone? I am not no mechanic but I do have common sense so any help will greatly be appreciated..thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I have a 05 300c and noticed I have a coolant leak in my petcock area. I haven't looked to see if its loose because I had just got done driving and the car was hot. But looking down through the engine bay I seen it pooling a little on the black guard/shield near the petcock witch was wet when I looked under. Its not a heavy leak because I havent noticed marks on the driveway but noticed im loosing coolant. Im wondering just incase, can you replace the petcock on these model cars or do you have to replace the entire rad? I've done sum research and seen a 1aAuto video where the tec briefly runs through coolant issues, and said if the petcock is busted or leaking you have to replace the Rad. But I've noticed you can buy a oem petcock for like 10 or15bucks at orallys/autozone? I am not no mechanic but I do have common sense so any help will greatly be appreciated..thanks in advance!
The bad news is, these cars have an unbelievably cheap, fragile plastic petcock, as opposed to an old-school, solid brass unit that lasts forever, but probably costs 75¢ to manufacture.

The good news is, it's easily replaced and readily available. One tip I can give you is that when opening or closing, try to grip the flat part with a vice-grip or similar tool and apply gentle force away from (when opening) or towards (when closing) the radiator while turning. The threads are crap and this will help to avoid stripping them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bad news is, these cars have an unbelievably cheap, fragile plastic petcock, as opposed to an old-school, solid brass unit that lasts forever, but probably costs 75¢ to manufacture.

The good news is, it's easily replaced and readily available. One tip I can give you is that when opening or closing, try to grip the flat part with a vice-grip or similar tool and apply gentle force away from (when opening) or towards (when closing) the radiator while turning. The threads are crap and this will help to avoid stripping them.
Ok thanks for the tip I will remember that. Im hoping it is the petcock, I haven't got down and really looked at it. I just noticed it last night when I got home from work my car fans was on witch seem odd bc it was cool out. I seen my fluid was low an then seen the light puddling. I just know its coming from that area. It dont seem to leak when the car is off I hadn't seen no puddles on the driveway neither. And seems to only leak when the system is pressurized.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Some other common failure points are the plastic coolant T on the firewall (can't miss it), the seams on the plastic radiator tanks, the coolant reservoir, and the radiator cap seal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts