Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Factory Reproductions 22" SRT replicas are starting to corrode from around the centre cap on a couple of my wheels. Has anyone else seen the same on their Factory Reproduction alloys?

I'm in the UK, so the weather ain't the best for alloys, but surely they shouldn't be doing this within 8 months of owning them?

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, just going to be a pita getting anything sorted since I'm in the UK!

I thought I was free of the Chrysler corroding alloys issue, lol!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I've got a bad set of alloys. Doug has sold a few sets into the UK and has never had any reported problems. All 4 of my wheels are a total mess now and not just round the centre caps!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I've got some pics which I sent to Doug. Doug has sorted me out with an agreed refund, things are a bit more difficult with me being in the UK so didn't want to be sending wheels back and forth! I've offered to take some more photos for Dougs own records so I'll post them when I get a chance to take some more.

I ain't heard of anyone else having any issues with Factory Reproduction wheels which is why I was so gutted, but with Dougs great service I'll be getting my wheels refurbished in the near future. Just need to decide which finish to go for and if I have them done in black or not :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had factory lugnuts corrode on the inside of one wheel so bad that the garage spun the chrome cover off 3 of the 2 pc nuts. Had to weld another nut on what was left of the old nut to get it and the wheel off... ended up replacing All the lug nuts w/ aftermarkets. No more 2 pc lugnuts for me. I went with real chrome... The heck with the factory nuts.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Do you live near a toxic waste dump or something? Maybe your town experienced some kind of mix up with their winter road treatments and got sodium hydroxide instead of plain sodium, a.k.a. salt. J/K

Seriously, salt and aluminum don't mix you need to wash the wheels regularly to knock off the road grime even if it means rinsing them off daily. If you consistently have this problem you best bet is to have your wheels clear anodized to protect the finish. Looking at your posts this is your what...third set of wheels with a corrosion problem? You also had a corrosion problem with your startech grill. It appears you live in an area that uses some harsh winter chemicals so your choices are

a) move

or

b) do a little preventive maintenance with clear coats and/or regular cleanings

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope, no more harsh suff used than anywhere else. Car is looked after well, no harsh cleaners used on wheels and two bucket method used. Wheels haven;t been treated any differently from the alloys wheels I;ve had on 5 other cars. These wheels were fitted in March last year and by November there was corrosion on all 4, not 2 as I previously mentioned.

Chrysler OEM wheels have a VERY bad rep in the UK and hundreds of sets have been replaced foc under warranty. Probably more like thousands of replacements since many owners have replaced two or three times within the space of a couple of years.

Alloy wheels should not need to be cleaned every day, they are designed to be as durable as the finish on the car itself.

I figure I've just been unlucky with my set of factory reproductions and Doug has been great in supporting me. I have not been put off using factory reproductions and would happily purchase from them again.

This thread is not ment to detract from Factory Reporductions in any way, but is simply a way of sharing what has happened to my wheels.

There is nothing I could do with my grille as it is plastic and the cheap chrome finish is simply starting to bubble. I could have cleaned it every day, but that would simply result in me rubbing away the cheap chrome finish! :)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are the machine faced with silver pockets.

There are a few sets in the uk, haven't heard of any other sets going wrong. The sun is out today so I may just manage to get some pictures taken.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts