Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

My girlfriend had slp loudmouth II installed on her car this past weekend. She loves it, what I found really funny was that she actually like it the most when the drone kits in while I was in the car looking for something to plug my ears. Since I have corsa on both my srt8's, one I had over year I wanted to share my personal opinion of the two.

1. Corsa has a high pitch wine like a indy car. SLP has a very muscle car sound like a big block from the 70's.

2. WOT corsa is louder by far. I have no clue on how they make it so loud with mufflers and resinators. In every other aspect SLP is louder by far.

3. Corsa has zero drone and after driving around in a car with the slp it further comfirms this. SLP II has drone in so many rpm ranges that it will be easier to tell you where there is no drone. So cruising at 55mph in 'D' their is absolutely no drone.

4. The fit and finish of both are top notch. I wasn't expecting slp to be as good as it was. We all know corsa is at the top when it comes to this category.

Conclusion - After driving around my girlfriends car for a few day (we swap cars often) the drone it less annoying. When you're at part throttle with slp in manuel it just sounds plain wicked. When you're slowing down and downshift my gosh does it sound mean. I will not put slp on my car but to drive it around every once it a while is good enough for me. I couldn't live with this day in and day out. But Corsa has the best of both worlds. It's has a slight rumble at idle and cruise but during WOT it sounds like the gates of hell are opening. This more suits me than the slp.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Guys,

My girlfriend had slp loudmouth II installed on her car this past weekend. She loves it, what I found really funny was that she actually like it the most when the drone kits in while I was in the car looking for something to plug my ears. Since I have corsa on both my srt8's, one I had over year I wanted to share my personal opinion of the two.

1. Corsa has a high pitch wine like a indy car. SLP has a very muscle car sound like a big block from the 70's.

2. WOT corsa is louder by far. I have no clue on how they make it so loud with mufflers and resinators. In every other aspect SLP is louder by far.

3. Corsa has zero drone and after driving around in a car with the slp it further comfirms this. SLP II has drone in so many rpm ranges that it will be easier to tell you where there is no drone. So cruising at 55mph in 'D' their is absolutely no drone.

4. The fit and finish of both are top notch. I wasn't expecting slp to be as good as it was. We all know corsa is at the top when it comes to this category.

Conclusion - After driving around my girlfriends car for a few day (we swap cars often) the drone it less annoying. When you're at part throttle with slp in manuel it just sounds plain wicked. When you're slowing down and downshift my gosh does it sound mean. I will not put slp on my car but to drive it around every once it a while is good enough for me. I couldn't live with this day in and day out. But Corsa has the best of both worlds. It's has a slight rumble at idle and cruise but during WOT it sounds like the gates of hell are opening. This more suits me than the slp.

Thanks for the review, Will :biggrin: ....

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No prob bro.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Guys,

I have a question. In your opinion, does the difference in sound and quality warrant the 500-600 dollar difference in price? I too am shopping for an exhaust and have been pretty impressed with the SLP sound clips that I have heard.

I have seen SLP Loudmouths II start for around 700 while the Corsa's that I have seen are flirting with 1300 dollars!

Everyone on here won't stop talking about the quality of the Corsa and Borla, so even a cheapskate like me has to take notice of such a large public display of admiration. However, i'll be danged if i'm going to spend 1300 dollars + tax+ shipping + installation for 15whp!! It better sound nothing short of pure sex!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have a question. In your opinion, does the difference in sound and quality warrant the 500-600 dollar difference in price? I too am shopping for an exhaust and have been pretty impressed with the SLP sound clips that I have heard.

I have seen SLP Loudmouths II start for around 700 while the Corsa's that I have seen are flirting with 1300 dollars!

Everyone on here won't stop talking about the quality of the Corsa and Borla, so even a cheapskate like me has to take notice of such a large public display of admiration. However, i'll be danged if i'm going to spend 1300 dollars + tax+ shipping + installation for 15whp!! It better sound nothing short of pure sex!
It's not the sound that makes corsa $400 more (in the srt8,$800 for slpII and $1200 corsa). Its the engineering that went behind having zero drone. With the slp there is drone everywhere. If you can live with drone like my girlfriend I would say go for the slp I. But if you don't want it loud in the cabin all the time, just a slight rumble at idle and cruise and when you get on her it screams louder than them all corsa is the way to go.

·
Registered
883 Posts
coming from a LM II owner...the drone is bad at cruising speeds.How ever...with the money you save you can ad a predator and kill mds and no more drone!Thats what I did and the mileage isnt that much different.Or you could buy shortie headers...I replace the whole exhaust for 1500 from header all the way back(not including installation)

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
I spent the big bucks for Corsa on my one Vette and had Borla on another Vette and had something similar to Blastin Bobs (eliminated mufflers) on another Vette.

To be completely honest, I wouldn't buy Corsa again. I don't like the sound and I can live with "drone" to get the right sound that a V8 should make.

I have a custom catback on my 1500 Rumblebee with Flowmaster Super 40's and it's absolutely EVIL. On my 300 it's gonna be JBA ceramic coated Shorty headders and SLP Loudmouth II's all the way!

·
Registered
883 Posts
I spent the big bucks for Corsa on my one Vette and had Borla on another Vette and had something similar to Blastin Bobs (eliminated mufflers) on another Vette.

To be completely honest, I wouldn't buy Corsa again. I don't like the sound and I can live with "drone" to get the right sound that a V8 should make.

I have a custom catback on my 1500 Rumblebee with Flowmaster Super 40's and it's absolutely EVIL. On my 300 it's gonna be JBA ceramic coated Shorty headders and SLP Loudmouth II's all the way!
Ditto!!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Exactly. If you can deal with drone you can go to a custom exhaust and have them made for less money than buying slp. Have a good exhaust shop install flowmaster 40's with custom steel 3" piping from the cat back for around $300-400.

Exhaust is a personal choice on sound. I like the raspiness of corsa and the resonance free character others dislike the sound.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
The lack of Drone is something that Corsa has going for it, I won't argue that. I was also very impressed with the quality of construction of my Corsa system, of course I paid nearly 2K for a catback so if it would have been anything less than spectacular, Corsa would have had one angry customer on thier hands.

The raspiness was the downfall for me. I like that throaty growl that the SLP setup and Borla have in spades. I can't say that I'd take the chance on another Borla setup. Fit and finish on the Borla's I bought were terrible, the tips came scratched up, the pipes didnt fit and required heavy nudging to make them fit. That was a few years ago and I'm sure they have improved.

I could save money by having my local guy fab up a system but it would be aluminized and I really want polished stainless. I will fork over for the SLP LMII setup it's actually a bargain compared to the others.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
Good write up. I did notice that going with high flow cats my Corsa was slightly louder...then when I tuned my car it got slightly louder again. Still nice and quiet except for WOT, but it did get a little louder.

I believe there is a baffle that gets pushed back at WOT on the Corsa to make it sound so frigggin mean. That's what it sounds like anyway.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wow guys, I think you all have talked me into going for one of the cheaper systems as long as they are stainless. I am dying for an aggressive sound but I am a little nervous about drone, however 1300 dollars for just a simple catback is waaaaayyy to expensive.

I heard one person on here say that there isn't much difference in MPG with the MDS turned off, can anyone else confirm this? I put about 500 miles a week on my car, so I'm a little nervous about shutting it off with my diablo :(

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Wow guys, I think you all have talked me into going for one of the cheaper systems as long as they are stainless. I am dying for an aggressive sound but I am a little nervous about drone, however 1300 dollars for just a simple catback is waaaaayyy to expensive.

I heard one person on here say that there isn't much difference in MPG with the MDS turned off, can anyone else confirm this? I put about 500 miles a week on my car, so I'm a little nervous about shutting it off with my diablo :(
Putting any other aftermarket exhaust besides Corsa you will have drone PERIOD. Like I said, if you can live with drone go for the slp. I can't and you see what exhaust is on my car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
NYC: You don't have the MDS issue that some of us have but I can always see where less drone is better.

Is there anyone out there that had the drone/resonance at 55mph issue with their 2005 C that I am having and if so, did the Corsa get rid of it??? I am not against shutting off the MDS but don't want to put out the cash for the Corsa if my resonance issue will remain.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NYC: You don't have the MDS issue that some of us have but I can always see where less drone is better.

Is there anyone out there that had the drone/resonance at 55mph issue with their 2005 C that I am having and if so, did the Corsa get rid of it??? I am not against shutting off the MDS but don't want to put out the cash for the Corsa if my resonance issue will remain.
I heard numerous guys on this board and others say they have zero drone when mds kicks in. One name I can remember off hand is greedyk. He has a 5.7 with corsa if I remember correctly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts