Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ive had this thought floating in my head for a while. Do you think the corvette intake will fit on the V8's there is a large space inside the grille housing the filter could sit in there. If it works the car will be fed fresh cool on-comming air.

your thoughts?

·
Registered
118 Posts
ive had this thought floating in my head for a while. Do you think the corvette intake will fit on the V8's there is a large space inside the grille housing the filter could sit in there. If it works the car will be fed fresh cool on-comming air.

your thoughts?
Look here for the better Corvette intake. It pulls air from outside the vehicle, and at speed creates a positive air flow. It is "*THE* air intake of choice for Vette owners with both dyno *AND* track results to prove it.

VR-B2

I had one on my C5 as well. And yes, it is a huge difference.

The Vararam pulls TRUE cold air from outside the engine bay and forces it into ducts already built into the front facia.

I have found this idea very interesting for us 300C owners because we have similar vents in our front facia that could be used.

I think we oughtta do a mail barrage to this place, and have them design a system for us.

·
Banned
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THAT WOULD BE THE SWEETEST INTAKE EVER

·
Registered
118 Posts
THAT WOULD BE THE SWEETEST INTAKE EVER
Thanks for posting the pic. I just sent their sales department an email asking if they had plans on making an intake for the 300C cars. We should organize some kind of "mail-in" to get their attention.

The coolest thing about this intake is, the faster you go, the more power it makes for your engine. The claims for siginificantly lower ETs on Vararam's site have been proven over and over hundreds of times.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Thanks for posting the pic. I just sent their sales department an email asking if they had plans on making an intake for the 300C cars. We should organize some kind of "mail-in" to get their attention.

The coolest thing about this intake is, the faster you go, the more power it makes for your engine. The claims for siginificantly lower ETs on Vararam's site have been proven over and over hundreds of times.
The same can be said for the other "bottom breathers" for Corvettes. A Corvette is one of the few vehicles out there that have CAI's availble that ACTUALLY WORK.. I mean work in a dyno and track proven manner. But the Corvette also has a sealed radiator shroud that most of these units tie into, that is fed, high speed, high pressure air. We are not that lucky with the 300.

The closest we could get is a fog like fed system, and I don't know about you but I am not giving up my fog lights!

·
Registered
76 Posts
why give up anything (other than things that are in the way). remove the plastic pieces on the fog light housings (on the 300c/srt8) remove the old air silencer/housing and route some black heater hose up from the opening in the bumper, through the existing hole to the bottom of your cai. it gives you the same affect. this is what we use in the grand nationals and have proven time and time again that it works.
hope this helps you guys some.
rob

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
The air intakes beside the driving lights feed the front rotors with cooling air, I wouldn't want to lose that feature.. 4160Lb cars need brake cooling :)

There is the little slit opening under the grill that may work. Not sure how well it would work without seeing a smoke test in a wind tunner, but it surely would be better air than anything a regular CAI pulls in.

·
Registered
76 Posts
unless you are tracking your car and using the brakes every few seconds..that little bit of air isn't doing a thing for you. utilize it for your engine. if you have a car that you are doing hard braking on, put a y split on there and have your hoses running to your brakes and to the engine.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
someone on this forum is actually building a custom bottom feeder, dont remember the thread tho.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just my 2 cents here... The corvette intake above is set before the radiator from what I can see. That means it is getting the cool air before the radiator fins heat the air, and thus transfer heat away from the coolant. I could be wrong, it's just what I can tell from the photo.

I was talking about creating an air intake for the 300's that would be a true cold air intake w/ a tube from the intakes near the fog lights. The problem is, this already exists. if you look at pictures of the MOPAR CAI and the Volant CAI, they both have tubes that run down to the inlets, and thus are cold air intakes. My balloon was kind of deflated to see this, but the info is good for all those looking at this thread.

·
Registered
84 Posts
spideraccessories_1993_109401485.jpeg

FYI, this is just a picture from another thread

·
Registered
45 Posts
View attachment 28521

FYI, this is just a picture from another thread
That one still has a long convoluted path for the cold air before it reaches the TB compared to the "Vette-style" intake shown at the beginning of this thread. It takes more that just "cold air" to make a good performing CAI system. The shorter, less restrictive path the air must take before reaching the TB the better.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just my 2 cents here... The corvette intake above is set before the radiator from what I can see. That means it is getting the cool air before the radiator fins heat the air, and thus transfer heat away from the coolant. I could be wrong, it's just what I can tell from the photo.

I was talking about creating an air intake for the 300's that would be a true cold air intake w/ a tube from the intakes near the fog lights. The problem is, this already exists. if you look at pictures of the MOPAR CAI and the Volant CAI, they both have tubes that run down to the inlets, and thus are cold air intakes. My balloon was kind of deflated to see this, but the info is good for all those looking at this thread.
I used the above intake on my Vette for four years. It has nothing to do with the radiator. The pictures can be a little deceptive, unless you're familiar with the undersides of a C5 Vette hood.

Like the Hemi's, there is a large, round throttle body housing that connects to an air filter. The LX cars route that to the driver's side, put a filter on the end and call it good.

The Vararam intake splits the round throttle body opening in half, and is fed by two compeletely independent ducts that run from natural openings in the Corvette's front clip. There is no radiator involved.

Also mentioned above, the Vararam is not a bottom feeder, although there are a few bottom feeders out there for the Vette.

What I am saying, and a couple others on here are saying is that the 300 cars have a very similar setup - faux openings in the front clip, next to the fog lamps. Just like the Corvette. Why not fabricate some ducting to actually make use of the faux vents, and run that ducting up into the TB, just like the Vararam unit?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts