Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like it says wondering what the average cost per tire is on those 20's. I know it verys alot depending on performance....ect but would like a rough ballpark estimate on how much it would for tires on these guys.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just bought Toyo Proxes 4 (255/45/20 for the front and 275/40/20 for the rears). With shipping, they cost me about $720. Plan ahead, I had a hard time finding the 255's - plenty of 275's around. 255's are on a ship between Japan and here - ETA 30 days if all goes well.

-david

·
Registered
683 Posts
I paid about $150 per tire. I took the best internet deal I could find to discount tire and had them beat or match it. When they couldn't they just ordered the tires for me and put them on the car. I just had the rears done, think it ran me about $425 with shipping mounting, balancing, TPMS o-ring kit, and road hazard warranty.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I just bought Toyo Proxes 4 (255/45/20 for the front and 275/40/20 for the rears). With shipping, they cost me about $720. Plan ahead, I had a hard time finding the 255's - plenty of 275's around. 255's are on a ship between Japan and here - ETA 30 days if all goes well.

-david
They fit the stock 20's, front & rear, I assume?

LJB:rolleyes:

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
Toyos

Do you want the front tires to be taller than the rear ones???? WHY?

Use 275 all around or use 245/45/20 front for near perfect match. Your tire guy should have told you this. None of the 3 sizes rub on any SRT8 with stock rims. Remember your gearing is very slightly better with a shorter tire.

245/45/20 is 28.68 inches high
255/45/20 is 29.03
275/40/20 is 28.66

Now, the Toyo Proxes plus 4 is a great compromise tire. Fairly quiet, rides well, and wears like iron. They give up a very small amount of summer performance to give you true 4 season capability. They are the best all season tire I have ever owned, they really stick great in almost any weather.

When you factor in how CHEAP they are, it's easy to like them. And they are designed for the proper weight, not for a fat SUV!

·
Registered
358 Posts

Use 275 all around or use 245/45/20 front for near perfect match. Your tire guy should have told you this. None of the 3 sizes rub on any SRT8 with stock rims. Remember your gearing is very slightly better with a shorter tire.

255/45/20 is 29.03
275/40/20 is 28.66

Now, the Toyo Proxes plus 4 is a great compromise tire. Fairly quiet, rides well, and wears like iron. They give up a very small amount of summer performance to give you true 4 season capability. They are the best all season tire I have ever owned, they really stick great in almost any weather.

When you factor in how CHEAP they are, it's easy to like them. And they are designed for the proper weight, not for a fat SUV!
I take it those are "ZR" Toyos?

LJB:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
yeah

darn, they're only rated to 168 mph. I'll have to learn to slow down a bit!

·
Registered
358 Posts

255/45/20 is 29.03
275/40/20 is 28.66

I was curious. Why didn't you go for a 255/45/ZR20 for the rears, which is an exact size replacement for stock?

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
reasons

I was curious. Why didn't you go for a 255/45/ZR20 for the rears, which is an exact size replacement for stock?
My car came stock with 245/45/20 all around. Lots of SRT8's did.

Reason # 1 is more width, the stagger looks bad ass!

Reason #2 is this car needs a shorter gear, not a taller one! The shorter tire is just like a very slight rear gear change. I'll take any advantage I can get.

The car really hooks up well now in almost any situation. The difference is huge.

·
Registered
208 Posts

255/45/20 is 29.03
275/40/20 is 28.66

Crap. I started this out with a very strong recollection of seeing posts about running 255/275's when I first joined the forum a year ago. I used the tire calculator - and somehow I still screwed this up. So now I've got tires on the front that are about 3/8" taller than the back, with sidewalls that are about 3/16" taller. Its interesting that none of the C2M2 guys seem to have noticed so far. I just made a couple of trips out to the garage for some good long looks. I think its tough to see it and the car as a whole still has a noticeable forward rake. Other than the appearance issue, does anybody believe this diff will have any effect on the car?

Alternatively - does anybody want to buy a pair of almost new 255/45/20's?

BTW - I work at home and the car tends to sit in the garage for a few days at a time. I've noticed a tendency to flat-spot. It works its way out within 3-4 miles, but its a little irritating.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
everybody does...

somehow I still screwed this up. So now I've got tires on the front that are about 3/8" taller than the back, with sidewalls that are about 3/16" taller.
Other than the appearance issue, does anybody believe this diff will have any effect on the car?
I've noticed a tendency to flat-spot. It works its way out within 3-4 miles, but its a little irritating.
Stop beating yourself up, everybody screws up sometimes. But your tire guys should have mentioned it to you.

As you may have noticed, there is no effect on the car. F1 clients got 245/45/20 fronts and 255/45/20 rears stock from the factory, so you would seem to be in the tolerance range. Too much difference throws the computer for a loop.

My car sits as well, the flat spotting is normal. Especially on these heavy boats.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
guys also check out a tire called vredenstein.
they make a 275/40/20.
and a lot of guys are going that way.
there is a thread over on another site.
srt connect something or other.
check it out.
as the phone # of the place selling them is on there.
if they were not back ordered for 35 days I was going with these this time around.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Since I am shopping for tires due to the outer front drivers side wear... I am liking the idea of the 275. Is there any advantage of staggered other than looks? 245/45/20 front - 275/40/20 rear. If not seems better to go with the 275 all around seeing as for some reason the 245's are the most expensive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Last night I had 275/40/20 Toyo Proxes 4's installed all around. Out the door with tax and everything was $760. Boy these tires look great, bad weather here so I couldn't test them out for traction or handling (they did fine in the rain), better than the stock RSA's.

·
Registered
622 Posts
So let me see if I have this strait.
275's are wider but shorter, better gearing? 245's are thinner but taller, longer gearing?

And there is no rubbing issues with the 275's which are wider?

The 275's have a nice wider stance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts