Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have just over 50K kms on my 2006 300C. My manual says I need to do plugs. I've spoken to a few dealers in the area and they've given me prices from $300 up to $600. I understand that the 5.7 does not use platinum plugs and they are about $5 each X 16 plugs. I've been given approximately 2 hours of labour. Has anyone done their plugs recently? If so, what kind of costs did you incur (only in Ontario please as the costs will differ)? Finally, do I need to have a dealer do the plugs for warranty purposes or can I have my local mechanic, who I actually trust, do the work cheaper?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Well, if you do the plugs your self ....Champion plugs are about $1.39 a piece and about an hour to do them. I am told to do it with a cold engine and coat the threads with a release agent.....

·
Registered
774 Posts
Buy the Champion plugs yourself and a bottle of anti-seize. If you can use a pen to write, you can change the plugs (seriously....it's that easy). If you'd feel more comfortable, search these forums for a step by step DIY with photos. I saw it a while ago, so I know it's here.

You basically look at your engine and

1) unscrew the 2 bolts per coil.
2) Then remove both the coil AND the boot from both plugs (per cylinder) (I've never unclipped the coil. They both come out together anyways),
3) wipe off any crud that's accumalated around the plug,
4) remove them (both plugs),
5) place a little anti-seize on the thread of the plugs,
6) put them back in and torque them downb(15 ft.lb....DO NOT EXCEED)
7) Put a little dialectic grease inside the boot and coil and re-attach. Put the 2 bolts back in.

You've now done 1 cylinder. Only 7 more to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts