Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote from first part of story on speed limits in Indiana, from today's Indianapolis Star newspaper:

At a suburban Detroit test track near the U.S. headquarters for DaimlerChrysler Corp., engineers recently pushed a new Chrysler sedan to maximum performance: 172 mph, says Csaba Csere, editor in chief of Car and Driver magazine.

What else could this be other than a 300C SRT-8 without an electronically controlled top speed?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Pretty bloody fast - for a big sedan

Hmmm---- I'm impressed - almost as fast as my motorcycle :D

At 178mph my motorcyle would appear to be "slowly jogging" past. ;)

·
Registered
856 Posts
John G said:
I have a VON#,how do you find out what the build date will be????
Call DCX @ 800-992-1997. They won't be able to tell you exactly when, but they can tell you your order's status. You're probably in BX or BA right now. Once you hit D status, you'll get a VIN. That's when you can really start to track it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
goddardzilla said:
Hmmm---- I'm impressed - almost as fast as my motorcycle :D

At 178mph my motorcyle would appear to be "slowly jogging" past. ;)
Yes...Bikes are Faster, more fun, yet more dangerous.

I was on my '03 Honda CBR600RR last Labor day, coming back from a 100-odd mile extended "cruise", when I was cut off by some dimbulb in traffic. The ol' proverbial "left hand turn, from the opposite lane", right into my lap.

Nowhere to go, I squeezed both brakes, didn't have the room. Hit the front of the asswipe's car, and over highsided it over the Bike, and the Car...

Full somersault in flight, I hit the street somewhat right side up.

Banged up, no road rash, bruised knee & balls (ouch). Bike wiped out.

Be Careful Out There...

LJB :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
M3SMG02 said:
Yes...Bikes are Faster, more fun, yet more dangerous.

I was on my '03 Honda CBR600RR last Labor day, coming back from a 100-odd mile extended "cruise", when I was cut off by some dimbulb in traffic. The ol' proverbial "left hand turn, from the opposite lane", right into my lap.

Nowhere to go, I squeezed both brakes, didn't have the room. Hit the front of the asswipe's car, and over highsided it over the Bike, and the Car...

Full somersault in flight, I hit the street somewhat right side up.

Banged up, no road rash, bruised knee & balls (ouch). Bike wiped out.

Be Careful Out There...

LJB :rolleyes:
Damn, that really burns me. :mad:
Only advice I have is to double-up on the defensive driving - expect the very worst and watch out for the suburbanite "do gooders" driving Priuses, mini-vans, etc. -- they'll leave you in a lurch everytime, and then blame you for it afterwards.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Is it out of the question that that top speed is a 300C w/o elec. limiter? The two cars' aerodynamics aren't that different, though HP is a different story.

Ride like you're invisible, assume no one can see you, it makes life easier. I've only had my bike in the 130-140 mph range, I can't even imagine 178!
RT

·
Registered
358 Posts
Redman said:
Damn, that really burns me. :mad:
Only advice I have is to double-up on the defensive driving - expect the very worst and watch out for the suburbanite "do gooders" driving Priuses, mini-vans, etc. -- they'll leave you in a lurch everytime, and then blame you for it afterwards.

That's just it...I DID expect it.

When I approached the Intersection, I had the Green Light with me, and, I SAW the Car in the opposite Left Turn Lane.

She made a move, I put my arm out and tilted my Arai Helmeted head at Her, and, She stopped abruptly. So I figure, ok, she saw me, and proceeded to continue thru the intersection.

When I got to the middle, She floored it, right across my path. I was only feet away, no room...

You can be careful, and STILL get nailed on a Bike...

Not stopping me from buyinh a NEW one, though.

Think I'll get the new Yamaha R1. :D

Regards;

Lee

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
rt4 said:
Is it out of the question that that top speed is a 300C w/o elec. limiter? The two cars' aerodynamics aren't that different, though HP is a different story.

Ride like you're invisible, assume no one can see you, it makes life easier. I've only had my bike in the 130-140 mph range, I can't even imagine 178!
RT
Top speed on the 300C without a limiter is 156 MPH.

·
Registered
378 Posts
To Much Front End

JMatt said:
Quote from first part of story on speed limits in Indiana, from today's Indianapolis Star newspaper:

At a suburban Detroit test track near the U.S. headquarters for DaimlerChrysler Corp., engineers recently pushed a new Chrysler sedan to maximum performance: 172 mph, says Csaba Csere, editor in chief of Car and Driver magazine.

What else could this be other than a 300C SRT-8 without an electronically controlled top speed?
Jrt4 said:
Is it out of the question that that top speed is a 300C w/o elec. limiter? The two cars' aerodynamics aren't that different, though HP is a different story.RT
Gang,

I rather doubt that they are speaking about the SRT-8. As has already been stated “aerodynamics aren't that different”. Since they are not different remember that you are pushing a BOX through the air that is not an aerodynamic design. When the Cop shops added a light bar to the top of the 96 Carprice, it slowed it down almost 10 MPH. I have no idea how much this design slows this car down, but I do not believe that 425HP will be enough to pull this box up to 172 MPH.

·
Registered
263 Posts
16 mph more than the 300c .... well, for having 85 more hp ... more torque, and possibly a little less lift with the fron chin spoiler deal ... lower suspension/center of gravity ... etc...

That doesn't sound that impossible ...

Is the gearing itself diff. in the SRT-8 vs. the 300c as well? Or is it exactly the same?

·
Registered
289 Posts
M3SMG02 said:
<snip>

She made a move, I put my arm out and tilted my Arai Helmeted head at Her, and, She stopped abruptly. So I figure, ok, she saw me, and proceeded to continue thru the intersection.

When I got to the middle, She floored it, right across my path. I was only feet away, no room...

<snip>

And what the hell was this SEE-YOU-NEXT-TUESDAY's explanation for her actions once you peeled yourself off the asphalt??

·
Registered
378 Posts
need4speed said:
16 mph more than the 300c .... well, for having 85 more hp ... more torque, and possibly a little less lift with the fron chin spoiler deal ... lower suspension/center of gravity ... etc...

That doesn't sound that impossible ...

Is the gearing itself diff. in the SRT-8 vs. the 300c as well? Or is it exactly the same?
Well let’s see, if I understand you correctly, you’re saying that 16mph won't be that hard to get, correct?? My old 1996 Impala SS would top out at 152mph and its LT1 put out just 260Hp. Now my new "C" puts out 340Hp. I believe that’s about 80Hp more than my old Impala, correct? It’s been said that if our "C's" didn't have a limiter on them they would run 156mph. MMMmmmm that's only 4mph faster than the Impala using 80Hp more. Now the Impala appears to be more aerodynamic than the Chrysler (just looking at the front ends) and if that is the case it should run faster with the same 340 horse power. What I am saying is that I do not believe that the 300 body is slippery enough to pass the wind to reach 172mph using just the available 425hp.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Aerodynamics is more than the body....its the undercarriage too.
I have no idea or opinion on how fast the SRT-8 will be, but when you get way up there in MPH, it's underneath that counts too. The Viper specifically had TERRIBLE aerodynamics underneath, which severly limited it's top speed.
RT

·
Registered
440 Posts
Who here has seen more than the 126 MPH that my C has seen? If so how?

PS At that speed with the tires and rims I have there's tire expansion that causes the upper a-arm to rub the tire ;)

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
rt4 said:
Aerodynamics is more than the body....its the undercarriage too.
I have no idea or opinion on how fast the SRT-8 will be, but when you get way up there in MPH, it's underneath that counts too. The Viper specifically had TERRIBLE aerodynamics underneath, which severly limited it's top speed.
RT
the 300C, despite looking like a brick, has a very low drag co-efficient, as a result of DC's computer modelling. The STR-8 is apparently very slippery. 172 mph just may be possible....

·
Banned
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If not the SRT-8, then what could the car have been?
The article said a new CHRYSLER SEDAN - 172mph. I'm not guaranteeing it was the SRT-8, but for all the naysayers, what else could it have been?

·
Registered
358 Posts
joeSRT8 said:
And what the hell was this SEE-YOU-NEXT-TUESDAY's explanation for her actions once you peeled yourself off the asphalt??
Well, while I was on the Asphalt, my Girlfriend, who was riding alonside on her Suzuki, pulled over, and shrieked at the B*tch in the Car, but, immediatlely rushed over to my side...

Witnesses saw the whole thing, and the Cops got all their statements...

The Driver said, "I didn't see you..."

They never do...

LJB :mad:

·
Registered
334 Posts
If it was a Chrysler Sedan, it could be the Sebring TSI.... that has a body kit on it :)

LJB.... if the g/f was riding alongside you, how'd she avoid the accident?

RT

1 - 20 of 31 Posts