Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I have found my dream 300C Heritage Edition up in Great Falls, MT, and am very close to calling the seller to tell her it's sold. However, I've been doing some last minute research and have found that Consumer Reports knocks the hell out of the C's Hemi for reliability. Obviously I don't want to buy a problematic car and was wondering from you current C owners if you have had any problems with your Hemis. If not, what are they talking about?

On the other hand, my Mark VIII is on the Consumer Reports Do Not Buy list and, aside from having to take a few hours to replace the whole air suspension last year, it's been an amazing car.

So any feedback from you guys would be much appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
774 Posts
Mine has 80,000 miles on the original engine and tranny. I've only had to change the oils and do regular maintenance as per the owner's manual (plugs, tranny fluid, air filter, etc....).

No rust or paint coming off. Interior is still solid.

Had a problem with tire rods and steering rack (replaced under warranty) and the rear axle seal (same thing, replaced under warranty) and the nozzles for the wiper fluid (all done under warrantly).

Other than that, this car is bulletproof. Just make sure you use synthetic oil (please guys, don't start posting about the benefits of dino juice :biggrin: ) and follow the maintenance schedule and you shouldn't have any problems. Lots of guys around here are able to help if you have a question or a gremlin. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
We've had our 300C almost 26,000 miles, done oil changes roughly ever 3k with mobil1, and so far these are the issues that have come up:
*Transmission O-ring (very common)
*Rear differential seal (again, common)
^ caught by dealer and taken care of very early on
*Tire pressure sensor damaged when installing new tires (dealer's fault, replaced under warranty)

Nothing else, really. I have a rattle from a loose amplifier and the part by the defrost vents in the dash, and I've been meaning to get to the bottom of that, but it's something I'll be doing in my own time, and on my own - simple fixes.

The car's been wonderful! :)

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
I think if we all took for gospel what CR recommends we'd all be driving Hondas. That's gotta be the worst reference source to go by. You should be asking owners what they think, not just here, but people in your community.

These cars have been around for almost 4 years now. Sure there've been some problems, but all have been identified and have TSB's for them. Most are minor in nature too.

Several members have 80-100,000 trouble free miles on their cars. This is a pretty damned reliable car for the most part, barring the occasional minor electrical gremlin.

Bernie

·
Registered
364 Posts
Considering this is my 2nd 300C and the 8th Chrysler vehicle in the household over a period of about 10 years, I think it's safe to say I don't have a problem with Chrysler's product quality.

There are very few things that I would agree with CR on and those are very "bread and butter" things like washer/dryers and maybe refrigerators, and even then, I mainly just look at their energy ratings and things like that.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
We've had our 300C almost 26,000 miles, done oil changes roughly ever 3k with mobil1, and so far these are the issues that have come up:
*Transmission O-ring (very common)
*Rear differential seal (again, common)
^ caught by dealer and taken care of very early on
*Tire pressure sensor damaged when installing new tires (dealer's fault, replaced under warranty)

Nothing else, really. I have a rattle from a loose amplifier and the part by the defrost vents in the dash, and I've been meaning to get to the bottom of that, but it's something I'll be doing in my own time, and on my own - simple fixes.

The car's been wonderful! :)

Can you tell me more about the rear differential seal issue because I think I've noticed a leak on mine lately. Is there a TSB #?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I have a very poor opinion of Consumer Reports. They base their reports mostly on customer surveys, not on actual testing and research.

As an indication of how bad their ratings are, they were reporting that the Chrysler Concorde had transverse FWD engines, right up to the second to last year that they were made. Everyone knows the LH platform had longitudinal FWD engines. Just opening the hood would have confirmed that.
Shows you how much of "research" they actually do.

IMO initial build quality is very good. As with any car, you may have some issues that are taken care of with TSBs.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Consumer Reports might be a good source to decide what kind of microwave oven to buy, but they bash ANY car that's not a Honda basically. They know nothing about cars. I think I'd tend to trust Motor Trend (who named the 300 "car of the year" for 2005) on car issues over Consumer Reports.

My 2005 "C" has been very reliable; I had the transmission leak that everyone has had (and is an easy fix) , my right front window regulator was replaced under warranty, and the computer re-flashed to re program the A/C tempurature controls.

As for the Hemi engine itself, it and the transmission are bulletproof. If you do have any problems with a 300c they will more than likely be software or electronics related, not the engine or transmission. If you like your Mark VIII you'll LOVE the 300c. (My last car was a close cousin to your Lincoln, a Thunderbird SC ).

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Yeah and the sad part of all, they are Honda ballsack riders but they don't even do the research to see how many BIG issues there have been with Honda's. Of course I don't expect Honda owners to talk poorly about thier favorite car, but just do the research on TSB's and Recalls for thier vehicles...

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well this makes me feel a lot better :biggrin:

The book I was going off of was the 08 Buyers Guide and they seem to have changed their minds already:irked:

But, aside from the minor cosmetic changes for 08, nothing mechanical changed on the C right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts