Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

I've got a '56 CRD estate and however I drive, I can't seem to get much better than 30mpg. The average seems to be 29 - 30 mpg although today I stuck to the speed limits all the way on a 60 mile largely motorway journey and got 32mpg. I did a calculation from fuel receipts and got 29.3mpg over mixed routes over 2 - 3 weeks.

Should I expect better? I've read of other people getting 34mpg on average with 38mpg on a run, is that more normal?

Many thanks,

KEITH.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hiya,

I've got a '56 CRD estate and however I drive, I can't seem to get much better than 30mpg. The average seems to be 29 - 30 mpg although today I stuck to the speed limits all the way on a 60 mile largely motorway journey and got 32mpg. I did a calculation from fuel receipts and got 29.3mpg over mixed routes over 2 - 3 weeks.

Should I expect better? I've read of other people getting 34mpg on average with 38mpg on a run, is that more normal?

Many thanks,

KEITH.
Hi Keith,

I drive daily from Redditch to Coventry (M42, M6) and average 40mpg thats with a Drake tunning box. Before that it was around 36mpg. A lot depends on how you drive it I guess?.

Cheers
dave

·
Registered
73 Posts
It might be to do with the computer being calibrated in US gallons- which are smaller than imperial gallons -however that does not tie in with your fuel receipt calculations. My EVIC mpg usually settles at around 28mpg -but if I reset it before a long motorway run it usually shows around 35mpg at the end of the journey.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Hiya,

Many thanks,

KEITH.

Do you reset the evic every time you fill up? If not it works out the average over a long period. It could be worth you looking to see if it has the dreaded fuel leak where the metal fuel pipe is jubilee clipped to the rubber hoses under the engine cover directly above the alternator.

Mine averages 30mpg plodding around town but when I reset the evic before a long run I get 42-44mpg with cruise set at 75 and A/C turned off. I find mine much better on fuel between 70-80mph than it is at 50-60mph.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hiya,

Many thanks,

KEITH.
Mine is averaging 36 on mixed driving at the moment, I did have a Drake Tuning box fitted, so I expect it will drop now it has been removed, it's for sale if you are interested

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! :arms:

I reckon my economy is not as good as it could be, but I'll check for leaks and monitor for a bit longer. I'll talk to 2008uk300c about his Drake too!

KEITH.

·
761 Posts
My 30 mile daily commute gives me around 36-38 on the evic.
On a decent run I show 44.

Real work calculations (between fill ups) would also indicate numbers around thiese figures, maybe 1 or 2 mpg lower.
Whilst I agree, it's worth checking the jubilee clips on the 2 hoses above the alternator.
A leak of this magnitude (to affect consumption by around 6 mpg) would mean that you'd be losing around litre of Diesel every 40 miles or so..
I think, you'd know you had a leak, if this were the case.

Whats your driving style.
My boots have feathers in them. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Keith
Got 07 estate & generally get about 28mpg around town, that's going 5 miles into Liverpool city centre, maybe the odd trip locally to customers & then home again. City driving really buggers your fuel consumption!
Just got back last weekend from our 2 week holiday jaunt to Livorno in Tuscany via Switzerland, Lake Garda & French Alps with boot packed solid, 4 people on board, keeping the cruise set to 85 (apart from a couple hours over the whole trip at about 100) covered 2865 miles & EVIC showed fuel consumption @ 36.2.
As soon as started back to work & after 3 days it's @ 32.4 & falling!

Col

ps maybe should move office to Livorno & improve fuel economy!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Agree with Hmmmmm 38.2 mpg at 70 mph, and ive clocked this over 5000 miles. Ive also checked the speedo is correct and it is always cock on or -1mph compared to 3 different sat navs. Ive also checked the odometer against 3 sat navs and google maps its within 1% + or - and ive brim to brim checked the evacs again its within 2% + or -. We are talking about a car with an amazingly accurate speed/distance/consumption reading system. My experience of fancy diesel is the consumption is worse! down by 5% I. I dont know why and i was amazed but iv check this over 1000s of miles.

I fill up at Asda.
I run 18" pirelli P7s nearly out of tread
Its a 2007 300c crd

What makes the biggest difference......run the tyres at 2.5bar you will get +10%.
Dont get fooled by plug in performance enhancing boxes, check your consumption brim to brim the evics will be wrong if ou have a chip fitted also different wheels/tyres with a different rolling radius will skew the figures.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm driving my second touring a total of 160 000 km, every fill up is logged, and put to a exel-sheet. Both cars had the same average 8,9 l/100 km, with or without a tuning chip. With the chip evic is showing ~1,5 l/100 km lower consumption but not in the real world. My driving is commuting 40 km a day plus a lot of autobahn, eventhough on the autobahn ~140 km/h.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.