Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this sound right?

A friend of mine has had his 80 000 klm CRD in to the dealers for the second time with a faulty Swirl Motor .

The dealer has said it was all carboned up and you need to give it a hard time more often to stop the carbon build up , this guy is no granny when it comes to driving around town but that comment from the dealer surprised me.

He is now thinking of selling it because when its out of warranty its a $2000.00 fix

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Does this sound right?

A friend of mine has had his 80 000 klm CRD in to the dealers for the second time with a faulty Swirl Motor .

The dealer has said it was all carboned up and you need to give it a hard time more often to stop the carbon build up , this guy is no granny when it comes to driving around town but that comment from the dealer surprised me.

He is now thinking of selling it because when its out of warranty its a $2000.00 fix

I haven't heard of that before.
Hopefully NMG can give you the lowdown on it.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Yep, "Wozza", mine failed last year (around 40,000 km), it was actually the swirl motor linkage which broke. My dealer replaced it with a modified linkage and changed the swirl motor anyway. It is a "common" failure and is in the TSB. The dealer is really Bxxx Sxxxxxx when they said it is to do with the way we drive the car. Cars should be designed for all kind of legal driving, I think it is just an excuse for them when they use inferior parts or bad design.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
The swirl motor, or swirl port motor opens and closes swirl ports in the intake manifold, to take advantage of / and to enable the best air flow characteristics in the intake manifold. From Idle to WOT, air flow characteristics can change in the inlet manifold, designs of inlet manifolds can vary, i.e best air flow characteristics at low speeds, or best air flow characteristics at high speeds. ( a very simple comparison. It is a lot more complex than that, think of porting and polishing heads. this is done to enable the engine to breathe better increasing power, etc. ) The inlet manifold has butterflys that can open and close to take advantage of the way the engine is breathing, regardless of engine speed. A lot of manufactures are now using this technology to make engines more effiecent, powerful, smoother etc etc. Like any other mechanical components, these can wear out, stop working, break, carbon up, the list goes on.
Maybe it could be a one off with your friends car.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
swirl motor

According to Chrysler they have not had a huge amount of problems with the swirl motors. They claim there is also a modification that they do to the linkages if the check engine light comes on. As was mentioned however, they are expensive to replace if the vehicle is out of warranty. The Jeep CRD's seem to be having similar problems

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have been dreading this happening to my CRD, I have heard about it all to often now.
Well it did happen to my car a couple of months ago. NOT HAPPY. It will happen to every CRD!! make no mistake. It's only a matter of time. My neighbors car just sh*t it's-self a week ago. Same problem. He is not a happy camper. During his rage, he also told me about every thing else that has failed before 70.000K. And I thought that I had the longest amount of replacement parts and repair before 70,000K. Gee, my old old Ford did 300,000k with only a head gasket and an inner tie rod end. I still love the 300C but it comes at a cost plus wearing the embarrassment of being seen on the back of the flat-bed too often.
A word of warning, when installing the BT catch can. Make sure that you use larger fittings (5/8) and hoses than the recommended ones. The 1/2" does not carry enough volume under heavy load in hot weather. Trust me.

·
Premium Member
13,325 Posts
According to Chrysler they have not had a huge amount of problems with the swirl motors. They claim there is also a modification that they do to the linkages if the check engine light comes on. As was mentioned however, they are expensive to replace if the vehicle is out of warranty. The Jeep CRD's seem to be having similar problems
http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB_300C_Forums/TSB_0900207_LE.pdf

this is the only swirl related TSB...... the motor failing outright from contamination never appears!!

ps....my suggestion of using a panty pad permanently on top of the swirl motor/under the intake seal to catch drips has been tried by a UK member......he says its safe & works well

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
These swirl port motor issues have put me off ever wanting to buy a CRD.

If you want cheap running costs just buy a V6 petrol and put it on gas, conversion cost is less than the difference in price between the two models and a brand new petrol V6 crate motor can be brought down here for $5,500 if the need arrises. If you want more power, buy the hemi and put it on gas.

My 2 cents worth based on other peoples experience with the CRD.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Mate:

V6 petrol 280,000 km
V6 petrol on gas 220,000 km
5.7 petrol 240,000 km

Worn a few suspension bits, tyres and brakes out. Broken 2 out of 3 pink things in the shifters and one fuel pump on the LPG car. No major issues touch wood.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Well it did happen to my car a couple of months ago. NOT HAPPY. It will happen to every CRD!! make no mistake. It's only a matter of time. My neighbors car just sh*t it's-self a week ago. Same problem. He is not a happy camper.
Kelvin did you get to examine the failed swirl motor? I'm less than convinced that the problem is caused by oil leaking on it from above. The thing looks too well sealed for that to be a problem. In addition, some motors seem to have been replaced and then failed soon afterwards.

I'd like to get my hands on a failed motor so that I can get it examined to determine the cause.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
I believe the problem was cured in recent models. I have had it with one of my cars but not the others and I would be prone to it because of excess idling cars.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I currently have a failed motor, I am going to have my car repaired by an independent garage and have a full report written up on the problem, I will have the failed motor examined and look at the hose / oil leak issue while I am doing this.

I am trying to assess how many vehicles this is happening to, I firmly believe that it will happen to the majority of vehicles at some point in their life, however the problem is only happening with the 3oo CRD so not a big problem in America which is why Chrysler are trying to deal with this on the cheap.

Please join facebook group "chrysler 3L CRD Recall" i am trying to gather all the information in one place here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
With my CRD now almost 3 years old and with 70,000ks and the only non standard repair being a starter motor wiring harness replacement, I have to say "I love this car!". It is the only car I have owned that, after three years, I still look forward to getting in the drivers seat as well just looking at. No, I am not a Chrysler employee but thought I should bring some balance to this discussion as it seems that people mainly talk about the "bad news" ,which is understandable, but can give a misleading skew on things. Don't get me wrong, I am concerned about the swirl port issue too and am considering taking out the extra 2 year warranty to protect myself for the next couple of years.

I have my car serviced at NMG in Melb and at each service they check for any oil leakage above the swirl port. The other issue that seems to cause swirl port motor failures is the quality(?) of Australian diesel that is causing issues with turbo diesels from all makes. I read that Mercedes Benz have taken this issue up with the Aust Govt due to the problems the fuel is causing with the very fine tolerances that the turbos have. Apparently our diesel is not as good as the european stuff. I have wondered if this is why the performance and fuel economy figures for the Australian 300CRDs are not as good the the figures for the UK versions which I thought were the same.

A couple of years back a local Safeway servo had a batch of bad diesel that caused many different branded CRDs to fail with very expensive repairs required.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The other issue that seems to cause swirl port motor failures is the quality(?) of Australian diesel that is causing issues with turbo diesels from all makes. I read that Mercedes Benz have taken this issue up with the Aust Govt due to the problems the fuel is causing with the very fine tolerances that the turbos have. Apparently our diesel is not as good as the european stuff.

A couple of years back a local Safeway servo had a batch of bad diesel that caused many different branded CRDs to fail with very expensive repairs required.
I think MB should check the fuel quality in europe as well if fuel has something to do with the swirl port problem. Same problem with this engine where every you go on the planet.

Fuel problems i would say would be injector or fuel pump related.

Since the swirl port motor went in mine i fitted a engine monitor you would be surprised what its actually doing it terms of inlet pressure and exhaust temps fuel rail pressure ect.

I have seen a few diesels all much bigger this engine it is equal or exceed the above points in comparison.

I would like to see a swirl motor i bet its made in Taiwan (lowest tender).:pat:

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts