Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AS a cts v owner let me say first - great ride!! second If anyone gets a chance, could you please take a picture of teh rear diff in the SRT 8 as you guys know, we over on the CTS V fourms have been destroying the rear diffs on our cars. looking for possible replacements that may be fabed into our cars. GM don"t seem to care, but they will keep replacing the stock ones. I am currently on my 3rd. :AR15firin

Thanks.

If possible you could mail them directly to [email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
??
Do you think they would fit???
Golly - good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Its been said all along that the caddy rear ends are very weak on the cts-v,that's only one of the reasons why I choose the 8 over the v!!! As the 8 is designed by the SRT team for every specific application,for which it was made to do,while the cts,they dropped in a vette engine with the manual tranny and 3.73's,and were hoping to make a big splash without having a fine tuning team as the SRT has,and that was a HUGE mistake IMO for gm!!!To answer your question however,I believe you should get all the collective cts-v owners together,and go complaining publicly to gm first and if that doesn't work,take it to the press,for gm CAN'T afford to have anymore bad press than it already has been getting ,with their lack of selling their cars and all!! peace! JG :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
From what I have read, both manufacturers spent considerable time developing the cars! I do believe the CTS-V will outhandle most 4 door vehicles on the road. GM did some great stuff with that car, but perhaps they used all that was available to them at the time for the rears?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Pete's3 said:
From what I have read, both manufacturers spent considerable time developing the cars! I do believe the CTS-V will outhandle most 4 door vehicles on the road. GM did some great stuff with that car, but perhaps they used all that was available to them at the time for the rears?
Apparantly not enough time,"using all that's available to them",doesn't cut it!! Bad research&development IMO!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
I could take a few shots of the rear assembly in our MSRT-8 next week and send them. My understanding is that the unit is a variant of the 500 series Mercedes units. Anyone have this info?

Todd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Forget it,

The diff from a SRT8 won't fit the CTSV - I bounced the question off of a GM mechanic.

Try the diff off of the '05 GTO. It will fit and it will handle up to 550 rwhp without any problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
my gto rear is stock and currently holding 585 rwhp and 694 rwtq :banana: and i have a ton of 1.5 60 fts on it


i was at the track last month and a guy with a cts-v was playin around in the parking lot......didnt even get 1 run in
and blew the rear.....i was like damn!!! that sucks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Johnny G said:
Its been said all along that the caddy rear ends are very weak on the cts-v,that's only one of the reasons why I choose the 8 over the v!!! As the 8 is designed by the SRT team for every specific application,for which it was made to do,while the cts,they dropped in a vette engine with the manual tranny and 3.73's,and were hoping to make a big splash without having a fine tuning team as the SRT has,and that was a HUGE mistake IMO for gm!!!To answer your question however,I believe you should get all the collective cts-v owners together,and go complaining publicly to gm first and if that doesn't work,take it to the press,for gm CAN'T afford to have anymore bad press than it already has been getting ,with their lack of selling their cars and all!! peace! JG :)
That is an extremely uninformed posting. The V was EXTENSIVELY tested, built and developed around the most demanding track in the world, Neurbergring. It was built to beat the BMW M3 and M5 and GM succeeded. The V was not made as a drag strip car and that is why the rear was not developed to handle 5k rpm clutch drops.(although it should have been).

As for GM woes, Chrysler is down in sales more than GM and Chrysler is the one still trying to prove to America that they will not need anymore govt. bail outs, that they can make a decent motor, and a tranny that will last. Not saying that they haven't, but there are still alot of people out there that flat out refuse to buy a Chrysler product because of the past short commings.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,300 Posts
GNSCOTT said:
As for GM woes, Chrysler is down in sales more than GM

Speaking of being uninformed. lmao
How many times will you (incorrectly) say this before you fix it? Chrysler's sales are up considerably over prior year. I'd also caution anyone making fun of a 20 year old bailout unless they enjoy the crow if GM &/or Ford don't turn around soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
GNSCOTT said:
That is an extremely uninformed posting. The V was EXTENSIVELY tested, built and developed around the most demanding track in the world, Neurbergring. It was built to beat the BMW M3 and M5 and GM succeeded. The V was not made as a drag strip car and that is why the rear was not developed to handle 5k rpm clutch drops.(although it should have been).

As for GM woes, Chrysler is down in sales more than GM and Chrysler is the one still trying to prove to America that they will not need anymore govt. bail outs, that they can make a decent motor, and a tranny that will last. Not saying that they haven't, but there are still alot of people out there that flat out refuse to buy a Chrysler product because of the past short commings.
Apparently not caddy boy,the rear end is lousy!!! So much for your extensive Neurbergring testing!! Maybe they should find some other SO called specialty testing!! As far as 5k rpm clutch drops,I know people who lost the rear ends on their cts-v's at 1800-2000 rpm launches!! Either way it still equals to poor job by the sooo called R & D people who dropped the ball!! No excuses for that kind of money!! Go back to your caddy board as everyone knows that Chrysler had a much better year than BM did!! Oops,I mean gm!! :) Chew lose mane!!! :AR15firin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Johnny G said:
Apparently not caddy boy,the rear end is lousy!!! So much for your extensive Neurbergring testing!! Maybe they should find some other SO called specialty testing!! As far as 5k rpm clutch drops,I know people who lost the rear ends on their cts-v's at 1800-2000 rpm launches!! Either way it still equals to poor job by the sooo called R & D people who dropped the ball!! No excuses for that kind of money!! Go back to your caddy board as everyone knows that Chrysler had a much better year than BM did!! Oops,I mean gm!! :) Chew lose mane!!! :AR15firin
:rolleyes:

Can't we just get along?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Johnny G said:
Apparently not caddy boy,the rear end is lousy!!! So much for your extensive Neurbergring testing!! Maybe they should find some other SO called specialty testing!! As far as 5k rpm clutch drops,I know people who lost the rear ends on their cts-v's at 1800-2000 rpm launches!! Either way it still equals to poor job by the sooo called R & D people who dropped the ball!! No excuses for that kind of money!! Go back to your caddy board as everyone knows that Chrysler had a much better year than BM did!! Oops,I mean gm!! :) Chew lose mane!!! :AR15firin
:crazy:
What is with some people around here? He politely asked a question looking for some assistance...and gets a 10 year old "my bike is nice and shiney and yours is a piece of crap" response? Sheessshhh, nice way to 'earn your wings' on the forum....

-Travis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Chrysler vs Caddy posts.....hmmmm.....anyway, the issue with the CTS-V differential apparently carries over into the newer Caddy crossover vehicle(can't remember the letters for it, SRX I think). I don't believe the CTS-V unit was designed as a specific component for the car, so a lot of the comments about testing and crap are just pot stirring. The SRX(??) is available with a V6 and the Northstar V8(read, not a huge amount of grunt down low, goes good up top) and both models are experiencing failures on the center diff unit.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,071 Posts
tgt said:
:crazy:
What is with some people around here? He politely asked a question looking for some assistance...and gets a 10 year old "my bike is nice and shiney and yours is a piece of crap" response? Sheessshhh, nice way to 'earn your wings' on the forum....

-Travis
Well I think MY bike is definitely nicer and shinier....It's why I bought it.

Yeah yeah, it'd redundant to hear.

But you're gonna. Afterall, It's a forum about one bad ass testosterone inducing car for Crepes sakes!

It's not that big a deal.

Someone with an answer about our diff will step forward....I hope....I wanna learn more too. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
My Dodge 1500 lost the transmission about 50,000 miles. I do worry about Chrysler powertrain still. Is the transmission and rear on the 300's a Chrysler product or left-over MB stuff?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Pete's3 said:
My Dodge 1500 lost the transmission about 50,000 miles. I do worry about Chrysler powertrain still. Is the transmission and rear on the 300's a Chrysler product or left-over MB stuff?
I don't think the topic involved the durability of DCX drivetrain parts but rather the lack of durability issues with Cadillac CTSV differentials. :spank:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Johnny G said:
Apparently not caddy boy,the rear end is lousy!!! So much for your extensive Neurbergring testing!! Maybe they should find some other SO called specialty testing!! As far as 5k rpm clutch drops,I know people who lost the rear ends on their cts-v's at 1800-2000 rpm launches!! Either way it still equals to poor job by the sooo called R & D people who dropped the ball!! No excuses for that kind of money!! Go back to your caddy board as everyone knows that Chrysler had a much better year than BM did!! Oops,I mean gm!! :) Chew lose mane!!! :AR15firin
Ok Johnny, now you are killing me. If you drop the clutch on a V at 1800-2000 you are going to bog and/or stall the motor. The R&D people did not drop the ball, The V will get around the track faster than any 4 door on the market below $90k.

As for not posting on the board because I have a Caddy, that is kind of a 3rd grade mentality, if you cannot handle having a discussion on a BB, maybe you should be the one to go. As I have said in many posts, I am in the market for an SRT-8.
 
1 - 20 of 159 Posts
Top