Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So it's a pretty crappy Photochop but this is what I've been thinking of doing for my nav. I've wanted the nav from the start, but wasn't too fond of Chrysler's OE system. There are some cool double din's out there but that would mean loosing the 6-disc and Sirius that i already have installed. And now w/ kmoney posting that sweet input hack for the Sirius module I can listen to my iPod w/ the stock setup. So, that left me thinking that I should use the single din that's left over (the crap holder just above the ash tray) to house a motorized LCD that's dedicated only to Nav. Well the position way down there by the shift knob just wouldn't work, so I'm going to talk to a custom shop somewhere around here to do an install with a custom dash. I think it'd work out pretty nicely, especially since I could put the LCD away when I didn't need the nav.

Oh yeah, and I think i'd be able to hook up just the center speaker in the dash to the LCD which would both seperate the sound for a better experience like a lot of people are talking about and allow for a speaker for the nav voice prompts...

Anyway, I just wanted to see what you all thought of the idea and maybe if anyone out there had a similar setup and what they thought of it.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Your photoshop looks fine, but I'm wondering just how much electrical "re-adjusting" you'll have to do behind the scenes. "Lowering" all those controls may necessitate different (custom?) brackets, etc. My advice is to take off the bezel and give the situation underneath a good looking over before you make any purchases to see whether you can actually make it all happen. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I think flip ups look out of place in 300c. Any time a flip up blocks AC vents it looks "awkward" to say the least.

Have you considered going with a Double Din unit like the Eclipse AVN2454 or the Kenwood DD7015? They are both due with new double din units out this year. You would retain that OEM look.

The Kenwood supports sirius and has AUX input. All you would need is a Sirius antenna adapter I believe. You would lose your steering controls until something is released.

·
Registered
178 Posts
rogue said:
I think flip ups look out of place in 300c. Any time a flip up blocks AC vents it looks "awkward" to say the least.

I have seen a great number of flip-up installations and, to be quite honest, all of them look awkward.

It is an interesting gizmo on it's own. But, no matter what one does, in practical applications it always looks like an eleventh hour afterthought.

....sT

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Not to mention the mechanisms that allow that neat "flipping up" are one extra thing to break.... I also believe they attract thieves more so than an OEM looking double din unit.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
rogue said:
Have you considered going with a Double Din unit like the Eclipse AVN2454 or the Kenwood DD7015? They are both due with new double din units out this year. You would retain that OEM look.

The Kenwood supports sirius and has AUX input. All you would need is a Sirius antenna adapter I believe. You would lose your steering controls until something is released.
I've looked at both, but my deal with those is that I'd have to re-purchase the Sirius modules and subscription and would have to deal with trying to sell the OEM changer and OEM Sirius module. I would do that if I could get a decent price (the module has a lifetime subscription) but I don't think that would happen given the poor aftermarket of the Nav units.

Also, don't you guys think that a double din where a double and a half is supposed to be would look small and out of place?

Oh, and I don't have the steering wheel controls, but if anyone is not doing aftermarket for that reason you should check out this: http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-Y7jHQrGZfzn/reviews/20040810/alpine_ivad300.html?page=8

·
Registered
178 Posts
300TouringNproud said:
I've looked at both, but my deal with those is that I'd have to re-purchase the Sirius modules and subscription.......

Would you? I wonder. I suspect if you spoke to Sirius and explained the situation, they might transfer the balance of your present subscription to your new installation hardware. It is only good business sense to do so.

That is unless you are still using the first free year that came with the OEM unit and therefore don't really have a subscripiton per se as yet.

....sT

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What?!?!

Simon Templar said:
That is unless you are still using the first free year that came with the OEM unit and therefore don't really have a subscripiton per se as yet.
First year free?! When did they start doing that?!! I never heard anything about that!! Son of a!$&#*@(

I got the one-time fee, lifetime subscription which can be transfered owner to owner w/ the unit, but I've never looked to see if it can be transfered from unit to unit. I have a feeling that's one of the caveates of buying the lifetime sub..

·
Registered
178 Posts
300TouringNproud said:
First year free?! When did they start doing that?!! I never heard anything about that!! Son of a!$&#*@(

I got the one-time fee, lifetime subscription which can be transfered owner to owner w/ the unit, but I've never looked to see if it can be transfered from unit to unit. I have a feeling that's one of the caveates of buying the lifetime sub..

<chuckle>

Well then, it seems I've let the cat out of the bag, haven't I? Yes, I got the first year free with the car. Perhaps that is a "C"-only thing...perhaps it is something new....I don't know. I thought they'd been doing it all along, actually. They didn't even try to nick me for add-on subscription time as I had expected they might.

Still and all, I would think they would understand people changing equipment and having the need to change targets for their subscription. As I said, it would be good business sense to be prepared to do that. Goodwill, customer satisfaction, all of that sort of thing. Certainly worth looking into, I should think. All you stand to lose is the price and time spent on the phone call.

....sT

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
300TouringNproud said:
wes, that's awesome. Computer install I take it? What size is that monitor you've got in the dash there?
We have 4- 10.2" touchscreens with our voice-controlled and fingerprint protected computer set-up.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wesexcellence said:
We have 4- 10.2" touchscreens with our voice-controlled and fingerprint protected computer set-up.
Holy crap! Very cool. Now if there was only a way to control the heat/cool setting via your voice controlled PC you wouldn't even have to have those nobs below the screen!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
300TouringNproud said:
Holy crap! Very cool. Now if there was only a way to control the heat/cool setting via your voice controlled PC you wouldn't even have to have those nobs below the screen!
And if I could interface the steering mechanism to the tranny and abs control interface, then it would drive itself. Heck, with the right video interface I could sit at home and drive my C. hehe

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another photochop of a setup... thoughts?

Spent some more time contemplating and photochopping. Anyone got opinions? The stupid little half-moons aren't bothering me as much for some reason...

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
Nope... now you're back to that flip-up-that-screams-I'm-an-afterthought thing ;)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
HEMEEE said:
Nope... now you're back to that flip-up-that-screams-I'm-an-afterthought thing ;)
Yeah, yeah, I know... but it's so damn easy, and cheap (I have a Touring for a reason)... Guess I'll just have to hold off 'til I can afford the double-din.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts