Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to this forum and have a 06, 300 limited. I ran across a 300 on the road that was dropped about 1 1/2". He said he cut the springs! I know this is questionable for lowering, but has anyone else done this and what if any problems were incountered.

·
Banned
651 Posts
dont do it, it will ride like crappp. just buy performance springs for like $250

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Hi I'm new to this forum and have a 06, 300 limited. I ran across a 300 on the road that was dropped about 1 1/2". He said he cut the springs! I know this is questionable for lowering, but has anyone else done this and what if any problems were incountered.
Take the advice of both of these guys and don't do it - http://www.300cforums.com/forums/529362-post19.html.

Bernie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got done building a 07 Eleanor mustang and want to start on my 300. I used eibach pro kit on my mustang and installed camber adj. bolts. Do I need something like this for the 300?

·
Registered
4 Posts
All I can say is don’t consider this option! Ricers, the nice crowd they are, even shun this practice. Overall ride and handling, suffers greatly from cutting or heating the springs. Many different suspension components are at greater risk of failing, costing far more than buying the correct components to begin with. Resale value will plummet due to this hack. The car will looked good only when parked; it will bounce like a yoyo down the road and corner like a boat. You spent too much on your ride for this option. Buy the proper gear for the performance you expect and enjoy the benefits of a quality ride.

I’m sure someone will have something good to say, but I have personally seen many cars ruined by this pratice.

·
Banned
651 Posts
i have a 2006 chrysler 300c. i believe the 300c has a lower stance than the limited and the srt has an even lower stance. Today i placed my order for eibach sportline springs. if you want you can have my 300c spring after im done installing them, free. does anybody know if they will fit? i dont see why they wouldnt

·
Registered
127 Posts
DON'T DO IT!!!!! Listen to everyone here. Cutting the springs is the WRONG way to go. The car will look good while it's parked...but once on the road, it handles and rides like CR*P!!!

I have the Limited and installed the Eibach Pro Kit and it's great. No complaints here.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just got done building a 07 Eleanor mustang and want to start on my 300. I used eibach pro kit on my mustang and installed camber adj. bolts. Do I need something like this for the 300?
Anytime you lower a vehicle you are changing the geometry of the suspension.
On the IRS you will induce significant amounts of negative camber and cause inner tire wear.
The front will not be as drastic but this will occur. What kind of driving do you do. With our EP6570 Adjustable camber bushings in the front and EP7277 adjustable camber bushings in the rear we can fine tune your camber to perform for drag, street or autocross.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info.this is my daughters car and she uses it around town mostly. Were putting 22 on and I want to drop it just a little to take up some of the open gap. Again can the wheels be aligned after dropping 1 1/2" with using stock adjustments? This is a 06-300 limited. Again thanks for the help>

·
Registered
675 Posts
You guys are saying cutting springs will ruin other things?? And mess up alignment? We'll don't you think. Putting eibach or what ever lowering springs will be the same? You would need to do an alignment any ways right? Your shock will wear faster right? All the same effects? Or no?

·
Registered
11 Posts
You guys are saying cutting springs will ruin other things?? And mess up alignment? We'll don't you think. Putting eibach or what ever lowering springs will be the same? You would need to do an alignment any ways right? Your shock will wear faster right? All the same effects? Or no?
yes they will wear out other suspension components faster. eibach or any other "lowering spring" would be a much better choice because of the spring rates involved versus just cutting a stock spring. first off emergency handeling will drastically drop from stock when cutting stock springs (something i would not want on my daughters car) and the choice of an official lowering or sport spring can only help. basically any time you lower a car it is smart to go ahead and get the proper lowering equipment, cutting the stock springs is never the way. i know people cut the aftermarket springs a little bit, but they have tolerances that can hold up much better and not lose their main purpose; to perform. and yes all the same effects are brought by both parties, however cutting stockers will speed up the process ten fold.

chrish

·
Registered
73 Posts
Even if you buy aftermarket "sport" springs, you WILL encounter alignment issues due to the change in the suspension geometrics. Your shocks WILL fail quicker and at that point, the car WILL NOT handle very well. The car becomes more bouncy and does not handle well. The ONLY thing lowering springs do is lower the car. They give the car a better stance. They can however improve the handling if they are a part of a good shock and spring set up, which most people don't do. It still will leave you with the alignment issue. If you are considering 22" wheels and springs you will wear the shocks out even quicker due to the increased weight of the 22" wheels. In the long run it will probably take away the enjoyment of driving the car. It can be done to where it's an improvement over stock but it cost major dollars for the lightweight wheels and a good complimentary shock spring set up. That is the ONLY way to go if you want a good ride that will last. People that have gone with 22" wheels and the lowering springs may say how much they enjoy it, but I beg do differ. I have done the same thing in the past and knew deep down I ruined my ride, but had to try to live with it. Save yourself some trouble. If you do it, do it right. May cost you some money but you will have more than just a car that LOOKS good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Valid points. This is why we take the time and effort into developing systems. These compliment each other and work together to give you better performance. Better handling, better stance, longevity, comfort, safety.

Just doing a hack job will just bring more problems down the road. Some that will not be to bad but increasing the risk of something greater happening.

·
Registered
270 Posts

HEMI4ME has 22s and Pedders 2940 / 7026R coils with Pedders GSR Dampers all around. His ride quality is excellent, not by my butt, but by the butts of fellow LX owners. You can have the LOOK. You can have the RIDE. You can have it ALL.

·
Registered
11 Posts
justice, do you guys offer a setup that will lower it even more, possibly slightly tuck rear and keep front tire about a finger gap between tire and guard? also, do you guys offer a good camber adjustment kit? thanks in advance!

chrish

·
Registered
270 Posts
justice, do you guys offer a setup that will lower it even more, possibly slightly tuck rear and keep front tire about a finger gap between tire and guard? also, do you guys offer a good camber adjustment kit? thanks in advance!

chrish
Yes sir we do. The 2981 will have you riding low and slow and the EP7727 Camber link bushes will provide one degree of adjustment.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Hey CHRISH Here is a pic of the lower 7026L...

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Those are 9.5" wide, 265/35/22 with 7026L in the back...

This pic below, is the 7026R spring rear.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
JJJmm where you located!? I cant PM since you dont have enough posts...

If you want to yack about a possible coil change, or suspension upgrades shoot me an emai if you like!

[email protected]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts