Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It really hasn't been my week and to add to the other problem I had to deal with this. Today after a drive I noticed damaged on my fender. I was wiping my car down when I felt something stick out from the bottom of the fender. I looked closer and it was the actual fender pushed and it had small cracks. I've posted pictures but the pictures are after I pushed it in cause it was pushed out quite a bit. You can tell that its still pushed out a bit but I don't think its worth the time and money to have it fixed cause its so minor. I don't know how it happean cause I don't go over 60 km/h and I only do city driving so my guess is when I was reversing I put have cut the wheel to much. Just wondering what you guys think.

Attachments

·
Banned
87 Posts
what size tires are you running and has the car been lowered? I was thinking of going w/22s but feel there is some risk as you're showing in the photos

·
Registered
677 Posts
Are you rubbing at all? If so, then this is a perfect example of why things should be done right or not at all.

Please elaborate on your Spring, Wheel Offset, Wheel size, and tire size.

·
Registered
448 Posts
300Con23s said:
I don't go over 60 km/h
Man, is that slow! That's only 37 M.P.H. Is that speed a typo? I bet that Hemi is straining at the bit.....the EVIC is probably telling you to blow the carbon out :p

I know you guys with 22s have issues to deal with including brakes & damage with rough roads that stockers would take in stride; but, that seems to be an extreme limitation.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm running the Pirelli's, 265/35/22 with a 1.6" drop. I havent had any rubbing problems but looking at how the fender was pushed out my guess is that the tire rubbed againist the inner plastic in the wheel well and that cause the fender to be pushed out. It was pretty bad but I was lucky enough that it didnt cause a major crack and I was able to push it in.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
frank29 said:
Man, is that slow! That's only 37 M.P.H. Is that speed a typo? I bet that Hemi is straining at the bit.....the EVIC is probably telling you to blow the carbon out :p

I know you guys with 22s have issues to deal with including brakes & damage with rough roads that stockers would take in stride; but, that seems to be an extreme limitation.

Lol, some of the guys with 22's have posted that they've actually done a 100 mph and over which I don't believe. I've taking my car upto 90 km/h and I can actually feel the tire rubbing againist something and my guess is the suspension arm.

·
Registered
448 Posts
300Con23s said:
Lol, some of the guys with 22's have posted that they've actually done a 100 mph and over which I don't believe. I've taking my car upto 90 km/h and I can actually feel the tire rubbing againist something and my guess is the suspension arm.
I would be extremly reluctant to put up with that....especially at a speed only slightly higher than the old double nickel. If you're having these types of issues, maybe you should.......I don't know...but, do something so your car isn't so limited....Lord, you can't even go the speed limit on quite a few highways.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'll bet the UPS guy hit your car, which caused the box containing your NAV unit to fall in the truck, breaking the tape, and THAT is what caused all that damage....to the car AND the NAV unit.

Problem solved.;)

JFF:D

·
Registered
375 Posts
You can FEEL the tire rubbing against somthing?!?! WTF!?!

I'm glad you don't drive on the same streets as I do, you are an accident waiting to happen.

Spend some money to get it fixed before you kill someone or .... yourself.

**On edit, just had to make this edit sentence...LOL

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
This is a serious problem, I agree with 5.7, you will have a tire failure and likely at the most inopportune time like on a two lane road in a curve going only 35km/h sliding into a delivery truck going 65km/h or worse yet sliding into a lady pushing a stroller. You really need to get this fixed or go to 20s.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
5point7 said:
You can FEEL the tire rubbing against somthing?!?! WTF!?!

I'm glad you don't drive on the same streets as I do, you are an accident waiting to happen.

Spend some money to get it fixed before you kill someone or .... yourself.

**On edit, just had to make this edit sentence...LOL
Well it doesn't take a person with half a brain to figure out that you'll have rubbing at high speeds when you have 22 inch wheels. And would I do 60mph on a "street", no. Don't post your stupid nonsense if you don't have anything constructive to add to the post.

I don't really drive my car on the highway cause I live right in the city. If you have 22's and your going be taking your car over 60 mph your asking for trouble imo. And numerous post on here have made that clear. I'm certain the fender damaged was from the wheel cutting into much and hitting the inner fender cover. I wonder exactly what happean so I could fix the problem. I could roll the fenders but it doesn't seem like anyone has done that with a 1.6" drop on 265/35/22's.

And by the way, the rubbing of the bolt suspension can happean with 20" tires depanding on what size the tires are. Its a risk you have to put up with when your riding on larger wheels.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Stupid nonsense? I think you are the one with half a brain...

YOU have a problem, and you KNOW you have one! Why would you put lives in danger?

There are PLENTY of rides on this forum with 22's and drop kits that have no rubbing, and have been installed correctly that I would drive at 125mph with no worries - check our Rogues ride for one - he's driven on the road course at high sustained speeds - no issues.
Your wheels are obviously not correct for the car, and it is just plain unsafe and you are placing your own life and other's in danger.

If you had correct wheels and tires, you wouldn't have any problems...PERIOD!

End of discussion.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
5point7 said:
Stupid nonsense? I think you are the one with half a brain...

YOU have a problem, and you KNOW you have one! Why would you put lives in danger?

There are PLENTY of rides on this forum with 22's and drop kits that have no rubbing, and have been installed correctly that I would drive at 125mph with no worries - check our Rogues ride for one - he's driven on the road course at high sustained speeds - no issues.
Your wheels are obviously not correct for the car, and it is just plain unsafe and you are placing your own life and other's in danger.

If you had correct wheels and tires, you wouldn't have any problems...PERIOD!

End of discussion.

No way, you can't take a 300C with 22's upto 125 mph! Your tire expands at high rate of speed and the tire will start rubbing againist the suspension arm. Imo you would be high or drunk to even attempt to take a car with 22's over 125 mph. I've been in a 745li with 22's and it started shaking at 100 mph so I doubt a 300C with 22's can reach 125. Another reason is you can't prevent the tire from expanding. My rims are correct, they're actually made for the 300C and tire size is correct. I've had my wheels since Dec without any problems until today so I don't know if its the wheels that caused the damage or something else. And honestly I choice not to take my car over 60 mph and some of the reasons why were discussed before by NR about the tire expanding and hitting the suspension arm. It's not a question about rubbing but its a question about safety at higher rates of speed and oversized wheels.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm pretty sure you got that from a slow somewhat sharp turn in reverse while going over a bump such as a driveway or the same going forward over a bump during a sharp turn. It happened to me a couple times in my Yukon after I lowered it with the big wheels. 2 things you can do. 1. have the fenders slightly rolled. or 2. Back up slower over bumps and dont turn the wheel as much. It's not a big deal.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kidcoastal said:
guys, guys, guys.... I'm sure you got that from a slow somewhat sharp turn in reverse while going over a bump such as a driveway. It happened to me a couple times in my Yukon after I lowered it with the big wheels. 2 things you can do. 1. have the fenders slightly rolled. or 2. Back up slower over bumps and dont turn the wheel as much. It's not a big deal.

Thanks. Thats what I thought.

·
Registered
677 Posts
300Con23s said:
No way, you can't take a 300C with 22's upto 125 mph! Your tire expands at high rate of speed and the tire will start rubbing againist the suspension arm. Imo you would be high or drunk to even attempt to take a car with 22's over 125 mph. I've been in a 745li with 22's and it started shaking at 100 mph so I doubt a 300C with 22's can reach 125. Another reason is you can't prevent the tire from expanding. My rims are correct, they're actually made for the 300C and tire size is correct. I've had my wheels since Dec without any problems until today so I don't know if its the wheels that caused the damage or something else. And honestly I choice not to take my car over 60 mph and some of the reasons why were discussed before by NR about the tire expanding and hitting the suspension arm. It's not a question about rubbing but its a question about safety at higher rates of speed and oversized wheels.
1. I'll take you in a ride in my car up to 126mph all day long. It will never rub. I've had my car on a road course at Willow Springs on my 22"s.

2. I can turn lock to lock in reverse and forward with no rubbing.

3. Read the 22" Wheel and Tire FAQ and you will most likely find out why this happened to you.

4. There are a TON of members running 22" setups here with rubbing issues or control arm bolt issues.

5. Read #3 again ;)

6. You still haven't mentioned your offset and wheel width.

7. You may need to roll your fenders due to the drop and offset of your wheels.

8. We're trying to help you out.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
rogue said:
1. I'll take you in a ride in my car up to 126mph all day long. It will never rub. I've had my car on a road course at Willow Springs on my 22"s.

2. I can turn lock to lock in reverse and forward with no rubbing.

3. Read the 22" Wheel and Tire FAQ and you will most likely find out why this happened to you.

4. There are a TON of members running 22" setups here with rubbing issues or control arm bolt issues.

5. Read #3 again ;)

6. You still haven't mentioned your offset and wheel width.

7. You may need to roll your fenders due to the drop and offset of your wheels.

8. We're trying to help you out.
I'm running TIS 03's and it has the standard offset, i think 18mm? I havent had any other rubbing issues but when i'm driving at 60mph it feels like something is rubbing but could this just be drag?? :confused: If it was rubbing i'm sure my tires would have blown.

·
Registered
677 Posts
300Con23s said:
I'm running TIS 03's and it has the standard offset, i think 18mm? I havent had any other rubbing issues but when i'm driving at 60mph it feels like something is rubbing but could this just be drag?? :confused: If it was rubbing i'm sure my tires would have blown.
No drag here. I can take my foot off the pedal at 70 and coast for a good while down to 60... Verify the offset on your wheels. The Perelli's should be fine. What width are the wheels?

Inspect your wheel well from rubbing evidence. Do you see any worn down metal? Worn down wheel liner?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
22x9.5 and i'm 100% sure the offset is 18mm and no sign of wear what so ever. I do have a incline when backing into my garage so maybe that might be reason for the damage. Maybe tommorrow i'll take it on the highway and see if its rubbing or if im just tripping from the road noise, I don't think its rubbing cause I would see damage.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts