Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everybody! I got a serious problem on my hands, yesterday I took the car for a spin, to do some shopping. At the third stop, when I got back at the car, put the key in the ignition, turned it and nothing, no lights on dash , as if the computer didn't recognize it. Tried it for a few times but nothing, just a simple ding when I put it in the ignition and a brief "DAMAGED KEY" in the evic, for a second or so.
After many attempts it finally recognized it and I could start the car (like nothing was wrong) and took it straight home.
I don't really understand what happened, I haven't dropped the key, not for a long time anyway, it doesn't have other key's on it so when the car is not used, the key is on a shelf somewhere.
The car is registered in '09 so it's a 2008 model, with a Mercedes Benz type key.
The really bad thing about this is that I don't have the spare key, because the car is on a lease and they got the second one. I just got another emergency key for the doors.
Any idea what went wrong, is it the key or something else. I don't thing it's the battery because I can open/close the doors from the remote.
Did any one else experience this?
Thanx in advance...

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Your "key" is the newer type called a FOBIK. Regardless of the lease, they should've given you both of them.

I've never never heard of only one key given to a customer on the basis that the car is a lease. If that's what you were told by the dealer, then it's bullcrap. They probably didn't have one to give you, and told you such, as to not have to program another for you. Then again, maybe things are different in Romania....

There was a reported glitch with these a couple of years ago. It's not likely a FOBIK issue but more of a WIN (wireless ignition Node). This is the device that you insert your FOBIK into when you start your car. Check for service bulletins in the forum regarding this issue. You may require a dealer flash to correct this. Also, see if you can have your dealer either give you the spare (which I doubt exists) or have an additional FOBIK programmed for your car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your "key" is the newer type called a FOBIK. Regardless of the lease, they should've given you both of them.

I've never never heard of only one key given to a customer on the basis that the car is a lease. If that's what you were told by the dealer, then it's bullcrap. They probably didn't have one to give you, and told you such, as to not have to program another for you. Then again, maybe things are different in Romania....

There was a reported glitch with these a couple of years ago. It's not likely a FOBIK issue but more of a WIN (wireless ignition Node). This is the device that you insert your FOBIK into when you start your car. Check for service bulletins in the forum regarding this issue. You may require a dealer flash to correct this. Also, see if you can have your dealer either give you the spare (which I doubt exists) or have an additional FOBIK programmed for your car.
Tnx for the reply man...
The only thing I can do right now is to leave the...FOBIK in the ignition at all times and close the car with the emergency key. I'm afraid if I take it out of the ignition again it will never recognize it :(
I'm just glad I could start it when I was out in the city and park it in the driveway at home.
The last thing I needed was to tow it...
Regarding the other FOBIK...I'll have to finish paying the car before the lease company will give it to me. It's a safety measure in case you don't make payments anymore.
Anyway I'm pretty pissed off, but then again with the winter coming and all, it's better just to leave it in the drive way. In Romania it's awfull in the winter, a lot pot holes, they throw gravel on the road when it's icy/snow...nice, huh ? :|
I don't want to sound mean or anything but this is a car I would never buy second hand...to many headaches !
C'MON SON...almoust 3 year now, not even 47.000 KM and I already have a unsolved list:
1) bad MERCEDES type A$$ FOBIK or whatever !
2) right front damper it's leaking oil !
3) possible REAR damper or something else in the passenger side (it's more of a HOP "over bumps at low speeds)
4) the STRESS of always checking those F F F ...fuel lines above the alternator almoust everyday (just recently another "MADE IN GERMANY" clip was loose, luckily I saw it in time)
5) the STRESS of a possible leak at the orange seal, pink in my case...at that turbo pipe (the only action I took with this, is to always put a new pink seal when I do the oil change, 2 or 3 changed so far)
...C'MON SON...
Not to mention all the little shitty stuff, like the dash rattling, the driver door and driver mirror cover rattling over cracked roads, when it wants.
This things should of been sorted out, it's a '08...ALREADY !
Excuse my temper but the FOBYK really got me.

Pls reply if anyone else had problems with Mercedes Benz key.
Best of luck and by the way I luv my car :):rippedhan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts