Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some aftermarket rims do not fit flush against the rotor mounting pad due to stud clips. Is it ok to remove them? What are they for? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Yes, they are okay to remove. They're there only to retain the brake drum/disc brake rotor in place while the vehicle is moving down the assembly line. They're eventually removed and discarded upon eventual brake inspection/repair. :wink1:

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
Mr.DJ said:
Yes, they are okay to remove. They're there only to retain the brake drum/disc brake rotor in place while the vehicle is moving down the assembly line. They're eventually removed and discarded upon eventual brake inspection/repair. :wink1:
Apparently that should read. "They're SUPPOSED TO BE REMOVED and discarded upon eventual brake inspection/reapir." !!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
GoofyTimL said:
Apparently that should read. "They're SUPPOSED TO BE REMOVED and discarded upon eventual brake inspection/reapir." !!!
Only if they remove the rotor, if they cut them on the car there is no need to remove them.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
E55 KEV said:
Some aftermarket rims do not fit flush against the rotor mounting pad due to stud clips. Is it ok to remove them? What are they for? Thanks.
As others have mentioned, they are a crude rotor retaining device. BMW and many others use an allen screw to retain the rotor to the hub. But many other cars have no retaining mechanism at all. It's not like the rotor is going to go anywhere, once the wheel is bolted on tightly.

It's fine to remove them. When installing my StopTech big brakes, I just pried up on the clips with a small flat blade screwdriver, then used needle nose pliers to bend and twist them until they broke off.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had them on both my Cadillac Escalade and my 300c. At both an America's Tire in CA and a Les Scwab in ID, they referred to them as "speed clips" and told me that they had to remove them for safety reasons with aftermarket rims. Both places made a really big deal about this. I am under the impression that it is very common to remove them when putting on aftermarket rims.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
djjasond said:
I had them on both my Cadillac Escalade and my 300c. At both an America's Tire in CA and a Les Scwab in ID, they referred to them as "speed clips" and told me that they had to remove them for safety reasons with aftermarket rims. Both places made a really big deal about this. I am under the impression that it is very common to remove them when putting on aftermarket rims.
That's because the factory rims (and some aftermarket rims) have a recessed area around the bolt holes that is big enough for the clip to fit inside. If your aftermarket wheel does not have this recess, the wheel will be prevented from laying flat against the hub and you will experience high speed shimmy problems.

·
Registered
148 Posts
bling300c said:
you are joking, right?
Turning the rotors on the car is the preffered method, and Chrysler made all of the dealerships buy on car brake lathes back in the early 90s.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a little brake vibrations, rubbing and slight wheel shimmy during moderate to hard braking? I removed the front stud clips but still using the OEM rims????? I wonder what is causing it?

·
Registered
136 Posts
E55 KEV said:
I have a little brake vibrations, rubbing and slight wheel shimmy during moderate to hard braking? I removed the front stud clips but still using the OEM rims????? I wonder what is causing it?
I doubt that this is the problem with OEM rims. The OEM rims have recesses around the wheel stud hole to accommodate the wheel stud clip.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took Magnum to dealer. They said one rotor was "out of round". Replaced both front rotors and pads under warranty. Next day I tried to remove wheel to inspect and they put the damn lug bolts on so tight I could not remove them. I even tried my 12Volt impact gun. My 4 way lug wrench nor the trunk OEM lug wrench would fit over the lugs? I think they damage the lugs so bad they are distorted. Now I have to take Magnum back and demand all new lugs up front. The lugs also seemed to have some back and forth (left to right) play in them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts