Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon purchasing a new SRT, one can "add" the following to the vehicle (atpoint of purchase or anytime) :

MY QUESTION IS ARE ANY OF THESE WORTH IT, OR NOT ! ?

1/ eXTEND THE 3/36,000 WTY to 7/70,000 (but a $100 ded) for $1080 .

2/ Rust/Paint/fabric protection $799 (Rust only $399 - it may deaden the sound - I particulary would like everyone's thoughts on this)

3/ Clear shield ( A 3M product that is a invisible clear skin over front lip/hood and is 90% material cost and only $20 labor - its that good and wty'd for 5 years of rocks bugs, and weather! And they can do the side mirrors and air dam for more) $299

Thanks in Advance !

TraderJohn

my SRT8 Black has 31 miles on it so far :eek:)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
skip 2) that is just a complete waste of money. trust me there is nothing that they will put on your car that will consitute the cost. That's an old dealership scam. If you read any detailing forums they all give it a thumbs down

3) is worth it. but check to see who offers it locally you will probably save a C note or more.

·
Registered
701 Posts
TraderJohn said:
Is it the one that says GE Financial and Heritage Indemnity Company at the top of the first page of the Contract Application? This sounds like the same warranty that I paid $1400 for, 2 days ago with my new SRT-8. I don't know if it is worth it for $1080, but I surely overpaid by at least $320.

Thanks for the info! If it's the same contract I'll try to get mine cancelled or at least get a refund of $320. It seems that for all sorts of reasons the contract can be cancelled and a prorated refund issued, so I should be able to get this done.

What dealer offered you these coverages?

My dealer didn't offer the clearbra but did offer some sort of Teflon coating over the entire paint for a few hundred $. I didn't go for it. Is it the same thing as clearbra?

·
Registered
159 Posts
artichoke said:
Is it the one that says GE Financial and Heritage Indemnity Company at the top of the first page of the Contract Application? This sounds like the same warranty that I paid $1400 for, 2 days ago with my new SRT-8. I don't know if it is worth it for $1080, but I surely overpaid by at least $320.

Thanks for the info! If it's the same contract I'll try to get mine cancelled or at least get a refund of $320. It seems that for all sorts of reasons the contract can be cancelled and a prorated refund issued, so I should be able to get this done.

What dealer offered you these coverages?

My dealer didn't offer the clearbra but did offer some sort of Teflon coating over the entire paint for a few hundred $. I didn't go for it. Is it the same thing as clearbra?
the teflon coating and clear bra are not the same. clear bra is a film that is applied and the teflon coating is applied as a liquid or paste. Teflon is a DuPont product and Clear Bra is 3M.

If you search on this forum you will find additonal contract options that others have posted giving you considerable savings.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Contact Turbomangt on this site. He owns a detail shop and could give you better insight into the "paint protection" option.

I've heard rave reviews on his products here on this site.

Good Luck

·
Registered
224 Posts
fatchance said:
skip 2) that is just a complete waste of money. trust me there is nothing that they will put on your car that will consitute the cost. That's an old dealership scam. If you read any detailing forums they all give it a thumbs down

3) is worth it. but check to see who offers it locally you will probably save a C note or more.
clearbra installed for $199? amazing price, or perhaps really shoddy install...i'd rather pay the pros to do it RIGHT...my $.02

·
Registered
45 Posts
1) I'm in MN also and paid the same price for the extended warranty. I think it's worth it personally. You can get a prorated refund if you sell the car before the end of the warranty (I did that on the Suburban I traded in for my 300C and it was painless).

2) I had it done :sad: and think its a waste of money.

3) Definitely worth it. I had mine done locally by P&L Automotive (click the link) in Edina and they do a fantastic job. Avoid using Trim Doctor, the guy seems like a hack. Incidently, P&L is the company that many local dealers sub-contract with for the Rust/Paint/Leather protection. They do a good job but the price is not worth it (at least for the paint/leather). I'm happy about the added rust protection though.

TraderJohn said:
Upon purchasing a new SRT, one can "add" the following to the vehicle (atpoint of purchase or anytime) :

2/ Rust/Paint/fabric protection $799 (Rust only $399 - it may deaden the sound - I particulary would like everyone's thoughts on this)

3/ Clear shield ( A 3M product that is a invisible clear skin over front lip/hood and is 90% material cost and only $20 labor - its that good and wty'd for 5 years of rocks bugs, and weather! And they can do the side mirrors and air dam for more) $299

Thanks in Advance !

TraderJohn

·
Registered
625 Posts
Warranty

I paid $2500 to extend the warranty from 3 years/36,000 miles to 5 years/100,000 miles including the 5 years/60,000 mile tire and wheel road hazard protection. This is a warranty by Fidelity Warranty Service. They supposedly include the most items (aka exclude the fewest items) on the car. I also paid $500 (again to Fidelity) for the Service plan. Full synthetic oil changes every 3,000 miles, some "Inspections" and a coolant flush at 45,000 miles.

One thing you didn't ask about is Gap Insurance. I paid $500. It covers the delta between what you owe (if financed) and what it's worth, in the unlikely event of a total loss.

The costs may seem like a lot, but for someone like me who keeps their cars and drives alot (1,000 miles a week) its well worth it. One major repair could easily be more than $2500. The tires and rims are about $900 a piece. 20 oil changes cost alot more than $500. Gap insurance is something I hope I never need to use.

Dan

·
Registered
49 Posts
TraderJohn said:

Thanks in Advance !

TraderJohn

1) I've always found warranty to be an individual choice. Are you planning to keep the car for more than the 3 years? Average milage or high? By comparison to our prices in the UK this doesn't sound too expensive.

2) I have to agree with Fatchance on this one! Of all the paint and fabric care products i have ever used, none of them can beat a bit of TLC and a good brand of polish.

3) Never heard of this until i found this forum.

Hope you enjoy the car when it arrives!

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
NEVER buy an extended warranty when you initially purchase the vehicle. In most cases you can pay for it LATER and for the SAME cost, up to a year/12k later. After one year their is a small surcharge, but WHY pay upfront for something that you will not use for several years??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts