Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i took my car in for an oil change at my local dealer. come to my surprise, they charge $65 for a change! they had an oil change special for $18 but i guess the HEMI engines were not included. they use 5w-20 oil which is "special" oil to them even though we can buy it in the store. they said the oil change deal was for bulk oil (10w-30). i call BS on that and left. i went out and bought my own castrol gtx 5w-20 and did my own change.

some dealers i have went to (with other cars) charged me like $30-40 per change using the same oil. im not sure what these guys are smoking but i havent met anyone who would pay $65 for an oil change for "special oil". :twak:

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
I think I would shame them in the store in front of some other customers.....

I don't mind paying for services rendered, as it makes the world go around. I just ask that folks only ask a reasonable profit from me, not screw me in the backside like I am a sucker and they are the wise old owl.

Like the time a Ford shop (when I owned my mustangs) told me, when I simply asked them to drain a small amount of coolant and top off with straight antifreeze because a cold spell was coming and my protection level wasn't low enough, " I talked to our service techs, they said that would just dilute the antifreeze... what you need is a flush and fill". I told him " I think I just got filled..." ans left the shop.

Takes all kinds.....

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Yes, that price sounds high, unless they are using full synthetic. I'm not sure how many quarts of oil your 5.7L engine takes but they use 7 qts of Mobile 1 synthetic for my SRT8, and I pay "only" $70 (out the door) at Jiffy Lube. This price includes the $5 discount coupon from their website. The Jiffy Lube price seems reasonable given the higher cost of synthetic.

Ken

·
Registered
364 Posts
That definitely is high.

I pay around $20 for my 300C after discounts, haven't changed the 08 yet but I'm sure there's no difference.

$65 sounds more like my Crossfire oil change which is about $90 as it uses 8.5Q of 0w40 synthetic but I only need to change that 7,500 or 1 year.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
thats The #1 Reason I Never Brought My Cars Back To A Dealer For Service.about 5 Yrs Ago I Brought My 3 Day Old Diamante In For A Bulb In My Fog Light And They Told Me I Have To Check To See If It Was Under Warranty,and They They Told Me If It Wasnt I Had To Pay For Labor Which Is $75 An Hour.went To Auto Part Store And Got Bulb For $6.00 And Changed It Myself.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I never take my car into the dealership unless it's a warranty issue. I DON'T TRUST THE MECHANICS OR TECHNICIANS AND THEY CHARGE AN ARM AND A LEG!!! If it's an oil change or a simple minor problem, I'll do it myself. I've had bad experiences with the dealerships in the past.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have always taken my cars in for oil changes to dealers. it actually paid off one time. my old infiniti was stolen from my driveway and i could not verify the mileage. i guessed about what it was and then they took down the details of where the vehicle was serviced. they called and verified the mileage and the last oil change and estimated my mileage for me.
i also like to have a service history on file with the dealer (to include oil changes). if they charge an arm and a leg for an oil change, ill keep the service records myself. my old infiniti costed me $40 for a full oil change. also, i read the coupon online for the $18 oil change and it did not specify the HEMI engine not included. if i did not buy my own oil and did my own change, i would raise hell about this. it said that it will cover 5 quarts of oil and thats it. no exclusions.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
i have to use synthetic in mine, and i'm used to the price, but my dealer charges almost $100 retail for synthetic changes.
it is ridiculous, i get a discount, still making it like $70 or so, but i will only take my cars to either a manufacturer (dealer) or a good shop that will charge almost the same.
i have had bad experiences with cheaper companies doing shotty work.
i change my oil every 5000-6000 miles to so it averages out almost and isnt really that much to pay for a little more peace of mind.

IF you get a good dealer that does good work on their own cars.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
I can't even conceive of NOT changing my own oil :) Same with brake pads, tune ups, fluid changes etc. It's just worth it to me to know what was actually done; plus I've seen WAY too many stripped out drain plugs to let anyone else change my oil.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I took my car to Mathew's Dodge Chrysler in Marion, Ohio.. $49 for oil/filter change and tire rotation. They say the Chrysler oil is 5-20 semi syn....... Great service dept........About $32.50 for OC & F

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
i have always taken my cars in for oil changes to dealers. it actually paid off one time. my old infiniti was stolen from my driveway and i could not verify the mileage. i guessed about what it was and then they took down the details of where the vehicle was serviced. they called and verified the mileage and the last oil change and estimated my mileage for me.
i also like to have a service history on file with the dealer (to include oil changes). if they charge an arm and a leg for an oil change, ill keep the service records myself. my old infiniti costed me $40 for a full oil change. also, i read the coupon online for the $18 oil change and it did not specify the HEMI engine not included. if i did not buy my own oil and did my own change, i would raise hell about this. it said that it will cover 5 quarts of oil and thats it. no exclusions.
I keep a file folder on all my cars with all receipts/dates/miles for all service mostly by me and a few retail services (usually not the dealer) so I keep my own service history and have no need for any dealer service history. I cut off all credit card numbers, addresses, and phone numbers from any paperwork and pass the entire folder on to whom I sell a car to.

KJ, I use a Fumoto drain valve which makes oil changes a snap and in the very unlikely event that I would ever take my car to anyone for an oil change all they need to do is turn the lock lever, no loose bolts or crush washers to deal with. You just need those idiots to return it to the closed position. I just finished wifeys MDX a few minutes ago change and the Fumoto is a real time and hassle saver.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Change it myself also. Just write down the milage when I changed it on the oil receipt and I am good. Last one cost just under $60 in the CSRT and feel better knowing everything was done right.

This helps too:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry IESRT8 We dont all have a hydro lift in our garage to make it alot eaiser... :lick:

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
IESRT8, what kind of lift is that, how much, and how does it work. I use ramps and jack stands/floor jack for added safety. On the SUV, there is easy access sans ramps.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It is a Kwiklift. Works great for standard garages without room for a post lift.

Use a jack to lift the rear of the unit. Lays flat when not in use, out of the way.

This was bringing it home from the shippers:

The way it usually is in the garage:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts