Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I figured I see what I could do about it.
Found some nice chrome caps to go over the screws they used to screw into my bumper. I'm gonna see what the wife thinks about it. I may go another route with some allen head caps I saw in the same area and just use some silicone to help keep them in there.
What do you all think?



Later...
Bruce
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
Wanna"c" said:
So I figured I see what I could do about it.
Found some nice chrome caps to go over the screws they used to screw into my bumper. I'm gonna see what the wife thinks about it. I may go another route with some allen head caps I saw in the same area and just use some silicone to help keep them in there.
What do you all think?

Later...
Bruce
Not feeling the look of those caps. Isn't MD a front plate required state? Is the wife concerned about staying legal or cosmetics?

If you really hate the holes, I guess you could have a shop try to fill them and paint the bumper cover.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,719 Posts
Ohio is a front plater too, I don't use a front plate on the C or the RX8, no problems yet, there is always tomorrow.I am not feeling those Herman Munster caps either, how about sonething semi flush, a thin disc of aluminum siliconed in place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
II kings 9:20 said:
Ohio is a front plater too, I don't use a front plate on the C or the RX8, no problems yet, there is always tomorrow.
MD is as well, I still have paper tags so I'm not concerned now or whenever the time comes. Momma's good looking enough to get out of speeding tickets I hope she can avoid a lousy front tag violation.

As for the cap idea Jerry, I felt they were as about as large as these are.
The other option I was thinking about trying was a set of chrome caps that snap into the head of allen screws. They sell them large enough that I could stick them in the screw holes.
As for taking it to a shop to have them filled that seems crazy to me seeing how a nice chrome cap can fix the problem plus it goes with the rest of the chrome.
Tomatoe... Tomato

Thanks for the input guys!

-Bruce
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
Wanna"c" said:
MD is as well, I still have paper tags so I'm not concerned now or whenever the time comes. Momma's good looking enough to get out of speeding tickets I hope she can avoid a lousy front tag violation.

As for the cap idea Jerry, I felt they were as about as large as these are.
The other option I was thinking about trying was a set of chrome caps that snap into the head of allen screws. They sell them large enough that I could stick them in the screw holes.
As for taking it to a shop to have them filled that seems crazy to me seeing how a nice chrome cap can fix the problem plus it goes with the rest of the chrome.
Tomatoe... Tomato

Thanks for the input guys!

-Bruce
I was talking about really hating them (like REALLY REALLY hating them).

There have been plenty of people doing crazier things for less reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jjs said:
I was talking about really hating them (like REALLY REALLY hating them).

There have been plenty of people doing crazier things for less reason.
Yeah, she bought the car cause of the way it looks as well as how it rides.
The front end of these cars is definately a selling point as with most Chrylser's it's the one end of the car that seems someone actually took some time in designing.

I'm not by any means trying to say your idea was horrible, if it came across that way, I apologise!
We may go that route as well, one never knows when it comes to what you like one weekend and what you do not.

-Bruce
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
Wanna"c" said:
Yeah, she bought the car cause of the way it looks as well as how it rides.
The front end of these cars is definately a selling point as with most Chrylser's it's the one end of the car that seems someone actually took some time in designing.

I'm not by any means trying to say your idea was horrible, if it came across that way, I apologise!
We may go that route as well, one never knows when it comes to what you like one weekend and what you do not.

-Bruce
No prob.

Maybe another idea is to see if there are 'plugs' available (like you see sometimes for access to door panels, etc.) The ones I am thinking of have a pretty flattened top and might fit the holes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
524 Posts
Wanna"c" said:
So I figured I see what I could do about it.
Found some nice chrome caps to go over the screws they used to screw into my bumper. I'm gonna see what the wife thinks about it. I may go another route with some allen head caps I saw in the same area and just use some silicone to help keep them in there.
What do you all think?



Later...
Bruce
My dealer did the same thing to mine. There are better options IMO. I had the same problem and used some stainless allen head bolts and a noce recessed washer to give it a little more finished look. These are the best pics I could find for now. If you want a closer look PM me.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jjs said:
No prob.

Maybe another idea is to see if there are 'plugs' available (like you see sometimes for access to door panels, etc.) The ones I am thinking of have a pretty flattened top and might fit the holes.
Funny you should mention that. I was thinking about that as well, plus getting some touch up paint to paint them with.
Aspen, I like the way you think. PM sent I would like a closer look to see what it exactly comes out like.

Bruce
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
Wanna"c" said:
Funny you should mention that. I was thinking about that as well, plus getting some touch up paint to paint them with.
Aspen, I like the way you think. PM sent I would like a closer look to see what it exactly comes out like.

Bruce
But of course they get painted! :D

For those who don't know what I am talking about...the photo shows it (not sure if there are different styles available).
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've heard some refer to them as "Christmas tree plugs" I don't make this stuff up.

I thought the chrome would add more to it though. Think for what all the parts cost I'll try some different variations and see which comes out best.
I'll post the pics when done.

Later...
Bruce
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Another idea, I had a PT Cruiser I turned in on the "C."
I had bought chrome strips (after market product) to go on the painted grill. I had 3 left so I cut them (approx: 18" wide) and used them (2) to cover the holes. They looked good and gave a little extra protection if someone hit the bumper in a parking lot. You can order extra door protectors from the "C" and use them or go to a auto parts store and buy any color/style/length you want.

I know this is a lousy "PhotoShop" but it gives you some idea. I used the horizontal bar from the stock grill.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
They would have replaced my front bumper!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
Great Mindz....

The dealer did the same thing to me - even after being asked not to install the front plate -- said they "had to" because of state law and all that.
Whatever.
INstalled some nice chromed "aero" nutz in their place - mini '"dagmars" -- a la '55 Cadillac. :rolleyes:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Does anyone know if you can just lower the existing license plate frame or do you have to purchase a new frame? Seems like you would need the curvature of the existing frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,719 Posts
coolvanilla said:
Does anyone know if you can just lower the existing license plate frame or do you have to purchase a new frame? Seems like you would need the curvature of the existing frame.
You can lower the existing frame with some shaping, instructions came with the E&G grille. PM me for details.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,621 Posts
coolvanilla said:
Does anyone know if you can just lower the existing license plate frame or do you have to purchase a new frame? Seems like you would need the curvature of the existing frame.
Here are the E&G instructions. I circled the areas you have to cut. I bought a mesh wire cutter at a local hardware store to cut the plastic. Others have used a dremel to file/grind down the plastic.
 

Attachments

·
Banned
Joined
·
223 Posts
This is the same thing i'm upset with. I ordered a 300 Touring & told the dumb ass salesman that i didn't want a front plate because i dont want any holes in my front as here in PA we don't use front plates & he called me back saying well it comes with the front plate on & thats how it ships from the dealer. I'm about to call him back for him to double check because the 2 holes look wack.

btw where are you guys buying these chrome caps from ?
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top