Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had no choice in running over a dead deer at freeway speed. Luckily no cosmetic damage was done but as you can see in the pics It needs a little work underneath.

The torn steering boot sux because apparently you can't order just the boot, you have to get a whole new rack. Over $600.00.

As a funny side note I went to the stealer to price the brake ducts and the plastic piece that goes under the radiator. The mouth breather at the parts desk quoted me a price of $810.00 for a piece of plastic. After I showed him what to look up and he still couldn't figure it out, I left. I went back after lunch and the parts manager found the three pieces I wanted for a total of less than $200.00. Even the manager had to be convinced that their was two different front facia's for '06. At first he looked at me like I had antlers, but once he realized that I knew what I was talking about he dug a little deeper and found the right parts.

I will be having an independent mechanic do the steering rack and the rest of the piecing together will be done myself. My insurance guy questioned me about this. My reply was, "I wouldn't trust a dealership to check the oil in my 79 Chevy van." Then he asked why I wasn't doing the steering rack myself... he declined to buy me an alignment rack. :D

At first hit I was sure that the front facia would be toast. The deer was a fresh kill and was three times as tall as the gap between the road and the bottom edge of the car. :scared: I have no idea how the facia was not damaged.

You can see in the pics all the blood and meat still stuck under the car. The pipes had blood all over them. It smelled like venison steaks cooking. Yum.

You can see my dog in the background (above) helping clean the blood and meat off the car. Good boy!

The white electrical tape (below) is my temp fix to keep the grit out. If I get the rack replaced I will have a spare. :cool: I am thinking about just finding a boot in a junk yard. It seems silly to me to take the whole rack off when you could just take the tie rod end of and slip on a new dust boot with a couple hose clamps.

Does anyone know if I can get the steering boot new without ordering the whole rack?

·
Registered
37 Posts
So, inquiring minds down here in Texas want to know if you're you enough of a true redneck to have pulled over to see how much of that now-tenderized, fresh roadkill you could salvage . . .

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dux said:
So, inquiring minds down here in Texas want to know if you're you enough of a true redneck to have pulled over to see how much of that now-tenderized, fresh roadkill you could salvage . . .
It was probly good enough to eat before I hit it. It looked mostly intact. After.... not so much. The intestines were strung out for 100 feet. It was pretty tore up.

·
Registered
14,781 Posts
Wow you were lucky the damage wasn’t far worse than that! A friend of mine hit an alligator (dead in the road) and it tore the absolute crap out of the bottom of his car. (Grand Am) Deer are nothing to play with that is for sure…although in south Florida they are the size of a large dog. Good luck with your repairs.

·
Administrator
23,423 Posts
srt8danno said:
Wow you were lucky the damage wasn’t far worse than that! A friend of mine hit an alligator (dead in the road) and it tore the absolute crap out of the bottom of his car. (Grand Am) Deer are nothing to play with that is for sure…although in south Florida they are the size of a large dog. Good luck with your repairs.
You have alligators on the roads down there!!!?:scared: Next you're gonna say you have those giant tortoses too. Imagine hitting one of those. Like hitting a huge rock.

Won't be long till there will be plenty of deer strikes reported.

Rambit

·
Registered
14,781 Posts
Rambit said:
You have alligators on the roads down there!!!?:scared: Next you're gonna say you have those giant tortoses too. Imagine hitting one of those. Like hitting a huge rock.

Won't be long till there will be plenty of deer strikes reported.

Rambit
Yes we do Rambit….in fact I came up on one very late the other night. (6 +footer) He had is mouth wide open ready to chomp something. Luckily I was on four lane and was able to go around him. Semi’s hit them once in a while. Make a huge bloody mess with very hard pieces of carcass that can do terrible damage.

Yes next month will be 4 years ago that I hit two deer at the same time during rutting season. As I said the deer in south Florida are no bigger than a large dog. Thank god! Still tore the hell out of my Lincoln LS.

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
skeletonizer,
So sorry to hear and see the damage to your SRT due to the dead deer in the road.

I feel bad about the damage to your beautiful car but I'm glad you were not hurt and that you already have the repair issues resolved.

Good luck and I hope the final outcome looks just as good as new!

bruno

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
What a bummer having to go through the hassle of getting your car fixed. This online parts catalog pic makes it look like you have to buy the entire gear assembly. I had a similar situation. The boot seal on my upper control arm was cut open during my KW install. Chrysler designed these cars so the boot seals cannot be easily replaced. The entire upper control arm had to be replaced because of the boot seal.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=214078&chapter=DR3NW05&appSectionid=51858&groupid=51858&subgroupid=2550&componentid=69205&make=7&model=300&year=2005&graphicID=NW05380&callout=1&catalogid=2

·
Registered
419 Posts
skeletonizer said:
I had no choice in running over a dead deer...
Sorry for your bad luck.
It looks like you can buy that rack from Wyckoff (on the vendor's list)
for a lot less than $600. Their site shows a list of $547, and a net of $437. I would give them a call.
-Steve

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
Certainly

I agree it seems crazy to buy a new rack for the boot. Go to one of the rebuilders and they can get you a boot that will work. They have about 500 kinds in stock, and it doesn't have to be exact fit, just close enough to seal it up.

I am amazed that you got over that sucker. This would usually mean big time fascia damage.

Condolences on the damage and good luck with your repairs. Keep us posted as to how it all works out.

·
Registered
14,781 Posts
skeletonizer said:
Well the guy doing the work can't get his alignment rack on 20's so I ordered my winter tires and wheels from The Tire Rack. Here is a link to that little adventure: http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22940

The steering rack should be in next week. He will be able to do an alignment with the 18's on.
So what are you going to do about your 20's? We know how much you love service people touching your car.:thumbsdow ....does this mean you have to take it some where else?

·
Registered
145 Posts
dux said:
it's not roadkill, it's automotively processed. :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
srt8danno said:
So what are you going to do about your 20's? We know how much you love service people touching your car.:thumbsdow ....does this mean you have to take it some where else?
Not sure I understand the question. I only have third grade education. What am I going to do about my 20's ???

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dux said:
The straps were shredded. No bones on the noggin.

·
Registered
14,781 Posts
skeletonizer said:
Not sure I understand the question. I only have third grade education. What am I going to do about my 20's ???
skeletonizer said:
Well the guy doing the work can't get his alignment rack on 20's so I ordered my winter tires and wheels from The Tire Rack. Here is a link to that little adventure: http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22940

The steering rack should be in next week. He will be able to do an alignment with the 18's on.

Maybe I didn’t understand you in this post. I thought you were saying that your dude couldn’t align your stock 20’s because his alignment rack wasn’t big enough. That you instead will have him do an alignment on your 18’s which are your snow tires. So I was thinking if you have your snows aligned, what were you going to do about your other tires the 20’s? Ok, so I don’t understand alignment. I guess it doesn’t make any difference if it is aligned with 18’s or 20’s as long as it is aligned? Is this right? If so I just learned something thanks! :D Sorry to be dense on the subject.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
Book 'em Danno

Danno, alignments work off the wheels. So if your alignment is good on one set it should stay the same when you change rims if your wheels are straight.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Right! Also, I will only need the toe set. I am not sure what the tools are called but the "thingys" that go on the wheel will not open up far enough to fit on the 20's. He said he is looking into getting some as so many P/U trucks are coming with 20's nowadays.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts