Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 300C SRT8 I thought I had a bad gasket until I brought it into the dealer and they showed me a pea sized hole in the block. They dtod me it was a casting defect , I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem... and the next problem is finding a block to have it replaced. Chrysler stopped making them and the dealer has no way to get one since 2010.. anyone have any good suggestions to find one without breaking the bank..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 300C SRT8 I thought I had a bad gasket until I brought it into the dealer and they showed me a pea sized hole in the block. They dtod me it was a casting defect , I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem... and the next problem is finding a block to have it replaced. Chrysler stopped making them and the dealer has no way to get one since 2010.. anyone have any good suggestions to find one without breaking the bank..

I would source a used engine. In Canada there are many in yards that can be sourced for $3000-$5000 CAD so I'm sure one could be found much more reasonably in your area. Use car-part.com put in your zip and you'll find what you need. Probably the best solution because finding a short or bare block anywhere else is likely close to impossible at this point.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would source a used engine. In Canada there are many in yards that can be sourced for $3000-$5000 CAD so I'm sure one could be found much more reasonably in your area. Use car-part.com put in your zip and you'll find what you need. Probably the best solution because finding a short or bare block anywhere else is likely close to impossible at this point.
Cheapest running 6.1 on car-part.com right now is $3000 in California. Can't imagine what it would cost to ship.

You'd be very lucky to find a good running 6.1 with less than 100k in a yard near you for much less than $5000 USD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It depends, if the hole is accessible were you could drill out the hole and tap it, so a small plug could be screwed in and J-B welded (epoxied) in to place. I have fixed a couple of engines that had sand casting voids with get success. Hope this helps.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Have you actually seen this hole/leak. I find it hard to believe that, if this is true, it didn't show up before now unless it has been running water for coolant for the past 13 years. There's not a lot of corrosion going on if the correct coolant has always been used. A "pea" sized hole is pretty good size and would be dumping a lot of coolant in a hurry.

In any case, if there is a "real" problem, there are many reliable and effective ways to fix it these days, without changing the engine block. An internet search is your friend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
magnuman
Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums
Join the 300c forum community to discuss the Chrysler 300c, SRT8, horsepower specs, AWD system and so much more!
Full Forum Listing