Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
I watched this video and did exactly as it said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai92ZuoDayw

I did it in the late afternoon with the sun on one side of my car. With the combination of the sun and WD40 it came right off and didn't even leave any glue behind on the door so I didn't even end up buying Goo gone. The other side left a little glue but it came right off just by peeling it slowly.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
hi
Does the same tecnique work for removing chrom molding stuck to the car with 3M tape?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just did mine, I bought a 38 dollar can of 3M adhesive remover, sprayed it down, waited 5 minutes..........then I used a plastic putty knife wrapped in a cloth and pryed away. It pretty much just peeled away. I used Meguiar's #9 wax to clean up any tell tale signs and voila! Done. Everyone seems to swear by WD40, it would have saved me 40 bucks. lol

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
Many things can break down old adhesive. One thing I can not stress enough is when re-applying ( using 3M VHB ) is to clean area first with isopropyl alchohol FIRST. I use more double faced tapes than most everyone here combined and it's rule number 1. Wax or use sealant after. Temp would be 2nd in that list

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im Thinking Of Demoulding My 05 300 But Im Afraid That The Paint Behind It Wont Match The Rest Of The Vehicle. Can It Still Be Done?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Im Thinking Of Demoulding My 05 300 But Im Afraid That The Paint Behind It Wont Match The Rest Of The Vehicle. Can It Still Be Done?

I have the same exact concern. I'd like to demould my 05 Brilliant Black Limited but I'm afraid there will be a variation in the paint. I've had it garage-kept since I bought it a year ago, but the previous owner didn't take very good care of the paint, so I have no idea if it sat in the sun for the previous 2-3 years or not. I also park outside at work every other day so it has had some exposure.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
172 Posts
When i did mine i pulled it iin my shop,used a trim stick to pull up the first end then pulled it off the door. Then i roll the left over tape off with my finger

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I Went Ahead And Did It! It Was Easy Taking Off The Moulding But The 3m Tape Was A Pain. I Answered My Own Question For My Last Post. There Is A Slight Darker Shadow Where The Moulding Was At But Does Not Stand Out Too Much.
Something That I Came Across That Got Me Upset Was That The Paint On One Door Was Bubbled Up And Had Water In It.
Does Anyone Know How That Would Happen?
The Sun Has Helped With The Bubble Issue. They Are Starting To Go Away Now. No Regrets Though!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Well I Went Ahead And Did It! It Was Easy Taking Off The Moulding But The 3m Tape Was A Pain. I Answered My Own Question For My Last Post. There Is A Slight Darker Shadow Where The Moulding Was At But Does Not Stand Out Too Much.
Something That I Came Across That Got Me Upset Was That The Paint On One Door Was Bubbled Up And Had Water In It.
Does Anyone Know How That Would Happen?
The Sun Has Helped With The Bubble Issue. They Are Starting To Go Away Now. No Regrets Though!

Not trying to pick on you, but why do you capitalize every first letter of every word you type? That seems like it would be a pain in the ass to do for no reason. :dunno:

ANyways, got any pics of the finished product?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I watched this video and did exactly as it said.

YouTube - Removing Side Moulding on Chrysler 300 Touring AWD

I did it in the late afternoon with the sun on one side of my car. With the combination of the sun and WD40 it came right off and didn't even leave any glue behind on the door so I didn't even end up buying Goo gone. The other side left a little glue but it came right off just by peeling it slowly.

I did the same method, with a fellow member on this site, USMCSGT. Since it wasn't quite hot enough outside, we used a blowdryer. Sprayed the area with WD40 while using the blowdryer. Got a cloth and spatula and it slowly came off. Afterwards washed off the area with soap/water and used NU Polish. That picked up any remainder of the glue and.

Took about 30mins total to do both sides. You will definately see the difference in a matter of minutes. I was quite shocked after the mod was done. I have no regrets/complaints.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I tried to demold my 300 today and once I got the molding off of one side the paint was all bubbled and cracked.... Lets just say if I would have left it alone it would have looked like crap. I ended putting the molding back on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts