Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone looked at the resale value of our cars? People are having issues selling a fully loaded C for anything more than 30K. Any ideas or reasons why this is happening to such a great car?

·
Registered
226 Posts
mm300c said:
Has anyone looked at the resale value of our cars? People are having issues selling a fully loaded C for anything more than 30K. Any ideas or reasons why this is happening to such a great car?
Try buying a Cadillac for $52,000 and then selling or trading in the $30-$35K range just 12 months later. Welcome to the world of American made cars. Or perceived American made cars. Even though the quality rankings according to JDPower continue to show Cadillacs beating Mercedes, BMW, Inifinity and more, their resale continues to lag. Why would you expect Chrysler to be any different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm assuming people who can afford a 30k used vehicle are willing to wait long enough to buy a 40k new vehicle with a full warranty. We'll have to hold on to these cars for a while before we get a fair deal. Dealers can offer attractive financing 3-6% that beats any used car loan.

The 36k mile warranty is too short too - I've only had the car a year (feel like I haven't broken it yet) and I am starting to wonder what am I going to do in 19k miles when my warranty is gone. I don't want to think about how much it would cost to do major repairs on this V-8.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I don't think any other cars do much better than ours, and some do much worse. What do you think the market is for say a lightly used Cadillac DTS? I'm guessing, not very strong. All cars depreciate, and I'm not counting on getting collector value either. I see it as an expense of living like heat or food.

They sell extended warranties if you're worried about repairs out of warranty. An extension to 7/70 would cost about $1000 for a new 300C, perhaps a little more when it's one year old but as I understand it not much. Don't worry, be happy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I traded my 5 month old 2005 Acura RL SH-AWD with 5,800 miles for my SRT-8 Charger. I bought the Acura for $48,300 and then traded it in for $39K... after 5 months! I think the depreciation goes across the board with these high end cars. :sigh:

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
I love my 300C...

There is no amount of depreciation
That can undo my appreciation!

·
Registered
203 Posts
In the SW. PA area, I see very few used 300's for sell and when I do, I can't believe how little they depreciate, I believe other brands depreciate more.. I love my 05"C" as much now as the day I bought it.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
That's interesting, the 300Cs I've seen that were "fully loaded" at 30k were 2005s with lotsa miles (40k+).

A used 2006 with ~12k or less miles almost costs as much as a new one on ebay lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i just paid 29,500 for a loaded 05 C (nav,proII,Xenon) with 14K miles, 1 owner out of Arizona...awesome car, I couldn't get the car around here (ky) near that cheap...I thought I got a great deal, was it just an average deal??

I think part of the problem is Chyrsler itself, by advertising the new base model for only $24,000 in doing so they bring the whole market down, if they did away with the base and started at least the Touring level it would hold up better IMO, hopefully I bought my car right and the other guy took the hit.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I think you did good, and it'd be tough to compare the 2.7, not to bash it, but have you ever sat in one?

The seats are cloth
The steering wheel has no buttons
The shifter isn't autostick
The center stack is black
There's no climate control

etc etc :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
i know that the base is very limited, I guess that it my point kinda, the C is a great car that compares very well with cars of much greater costs (its like riding in a 70k Benz for half the price), but when you put a car on the road for $24k that looks (from the outside to the untrained eye) just like your $40K flagship i think it can't help but bring down the value of the C. JMO

·
Registered
226 Posts
HEMEEE said:
There is no amount of depreciation
That can undo my appreciation!
I don't car who ya' are that's some funny stuff thar.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Bottom line Crucat - - NO new car is EVER a good " Investment ". A car is an expense - - period.

Now SOMEDAY certain cars will be worth a lot of money of course, but there is no way to predict which ones unfortunately. Don't buy a car based on what you think it might be worth down the road because that is just a crap shoot basically (other than the certainty that it will go down lots!)

If you maintain your 300C and drive it for 10 years, it doesn't matter what it's worth in 2016 - - you've gotten your money's worth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
kevenj said:
Bottom line Crucat - - NO new car is EVER a good " Investment ". A car is an expense - - period.

Now SOMEDAY certain cars will be worth a lot of money of course, but there is no way to predict which ones unfortunately. Don't buy a car based on what you think it might be worth down the road because that is just a crap shoot basically (other than the certainty that it will go down lots!)

If you maintain your 300C and drive it for 10 years, it doesn't matter what it's worth in 2016 - - you've gotten your money's worth.
exactly, that is why i never buy a new car...the way i look at it is that i just saved 9-10K off the price of a new car just like it and this car is really just like new, i am very happy with it and i get to transfer the 7/70 warrantee over to me!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Red Baron said:
I'm assuming people who can afford a 30k used vehicle are willing to wait long enough to buy a 40k new vehicle with a full warranty. We'll have to hold on to these cars for a while before we get a fair deal. Dealers can offer attractive financing 3-6% that beats any used car loan.

The 36k mile warranty is too short too - I've only had the car a year (feel like I haven't broken it yet) and I am starting to wonder what am I going to do in 19k miles when my warranty is gone. I don't want to think about how much it would cost to do major repairs on this V-8.
I know what you mean. I just went ahead and got the extended warranty. I am good for 7 years/75K miles. I knew that I really liked this car and I have no intention on selling or trading this car in. :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
i originally purchased a base 300 for $23,475 and traded it in for my C about 7 months later with about 12,000 miles and the gave me $20,000 for the trade. as far as the C's they seem to depreciate a little more but once again they also cost more so there value doest hold as strong. but all cars do that. as soon as you drive off that lot it has gone down in vaule. just a fact of life. :pat:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
DAMN it, after I finished typing this reply my internet went out and now i gotta retype it.

Anyway, this is funny because i was talking to a guy about it last week.
When I got my car washed, I saw a guy with a SRT-8 and I started talking to him.
He didnt even go in to the dealer for an SRT-8, but he did come from a S500.
When the dealer told him the car was over $5000 MSRP, he said ok and took the car no problem, Just goes to show how big his wallet is.
We were talking about the cars value and how he said he hopes his car holds its value because he knows chryslers car values sucks.
I had told him that your car value over mine C should be better cause they made a limited amount of his car.
Best of Luck to that guy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
BMW has low depreciation, and big 3 cars have more depreciation. Other than the fact there are way more big 3 cars here than BMW imports, the reason that BMW retain their value is that there are people who want the BMW, but can't afford new, so they are happy to buy a 3 year old one, even at an inflated price. BMW knows this and makes a killing. They lease the car and make a killer profit. The guy who leases usually gets a new lease of the newest and best BMW (BMW is always changing motors, etc, to keep the lines fresh), and BMW financial then turns around and sells the old car and makes another great profit.

How to fix this? Well, one thing to do is to get rid of the huge rebates and other factory financing. After all, when everyone can buy the car for $5000 below MSRP (even for a few months), then the used car price will suffer. GM cars are especially hurting from this (as I understand the CTS-V is really suffering some big depreciation because of the big rebates).

The question is, can the big 3 get off the incentives bandwagon? Not sure if they can. I guess the question is, do you want to pay more up front, but get more back on the trade in, or pay less up front, and lose it on the trade in? Perhaps best to not pay up front.

Lets take a look at leasing 3 cars at approximately the same MSRP. BMW has leather but no nav, 300C is loaded, is350 has only the moonroof option (ie no nav, HID, etc.). Note all calculations are done from MSRP using values from Canadian manufacturer's web sites:

........................MSRP......lease...... residual%... gross
..................................36 months................... profit

BMW 330i........ $54,300 ..... $841 ...... 61% ..... $9,099
Chrysler 300C... $50,625 .... $874 ...... 45%....... $3,211
Lexus is350...... $52,925 .... $921 ...... 53%....... $9,912

The profit is an estimate using a rough calculation of:

total payments - (MSRP-residual) = gross profit

Now, even with the bad residual, Chrysler financial is giving us a break by having these low payments due to their low lease rate. Meanwhile, BMW and Lexus are padding their lease profits above what their lease rate provides for (you didn't really think you were just paying off the depreciation on that Bimmer?). So lease a Chrysler, or a BMW or a Lexus as they are about the same price (not counting features), but if you really like the car, which one would be the cheapest one to buy at the end of the lease? The 300C will be the least expensive to buy and have the most features.
Of course, the Lexus may be the only one that is still running. :twak: Sorry, just kidding!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Don't feel bad about the "C". Part depends on your location, are there a lot around, or not so many.

Our local FORD dealer has a 2004 SRT-10 Ram regular cab on his lot (14K miles I think), can't move it, has dropped the price to 28K. That's a heck of a deal, but a lot of depreciation there!

Auto companies are excited anytime the value rate is above 50% after 36 months. It was a BIG deal for the new Caliber to come in at 51% value.

Mr MoPar

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was offered $20,000CAD for my 03 Avalanche with 29,000KM(17,000miles) on it. I paid $56,000 for it 2 and a half years ago. On the other hand, a friend bought a '95 Honda Civic new for $10,800. Drove it for three years, put about 100,000KM(62,000miles) on it and sold it for $9,500. I thought SUV's had great resale value????

1 - 20 of 21 Posts