Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Yes, the numbers are a little disturbing, however, I generally feel the general public and the majority of consumers are very ignorant to Chrysler, especially "NEW CHRYSLER" and the true/real aspects of this product. The general public still does not know or have to be reminded that Chrysler was purchased by Mercedes in 1998. Without this union of Mercedes & Chrysler I would not have considered the 300 nor Magnum no matter what the car looked like or its size & power. Prior to the 300C we would probablly have purchased a Mercedes C230 Sport which is a sub-compact (very small), with a small anemic supercharged 4-banger and a measly 189HP for the same price of $35k. That purchased does not seem like a good buy now.

This car is for the smart and intelligent and not the people that just want to brand name drop and know nothing about the aspects of this vehicle.

The car is "World Class" PERIOD! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
E55 KEV said:
Yes, the numbers are a little disturbing, however, I generally feel the general public and the majority of consumers are very ignorant to Chrysler, especially "NEW CHRYSLER" and the true/real aspects of this product. The general public still does not know or have to be reminded that Chrysler was purchased by Mercedes in 1998. Without this union of Mercedes & Chrysler I would not have considered the 300 nor Magnum no matter what the car look like or its size. Prior to the 300C we would probablly have purchased a Mercedes C230 Sport with is a sub-compact (very small), with a small anemic supercharged 4-banger and a measly 189HP for the same price of $35k. That purchased does not seem like a good buy now.

This car is for the smart and intelligent and not the people that just want to brand name drop and know nothing about the aspects of this vehicle.

The car is "World Class" PERIOD! :D
I couldn’t have said it better myself, the 300c is the only domestic auto that I’ve considered purchasing. Prior to the release of the 300c, on my short list was in this order 1. Acura TL 2. 2006 Subaru Legacy STI 3. Infiniti G35

Funny thing is that both my fiancée and I are in the market for new autos and she wanted a Merc 240 sedan, that’s all changed now. After seeing me get all excited over the 300c now she says that she would drive it and has completely changed her mind about wanting the Merc. :D

I know that all these vehicles are very different and all there + and –‘s. For those that understand their cars, the 300 has a lot to offer. Chrysler, as of late, has been making some decent cars, but without the help of Merc and its platform I don’t see the current 300 being produced. The combination of the RWD, power, and its looks swayed me into me first domestic product, and that’s saying a lot. IMO the magnum and the 300 will bring in new customer into the dealers that otherwise never would considered either of these auto manufacturers.

I'm not quite sure that American's know that they have such a great cars in its hands. Maybe this car can only be fully appreciated by us enthusiast. :cool: Read the comments that people have left and you'll see exactly what I mean. Even the poll speaks volumes about the way American's feel about the 300 :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,719 Posts
When it comes to cars, Americans have an anti American bias fueled in part by the media and old history. Buick and Lincoln are excellent cars yet get little respect as good (not enthusiast) cars, and I am an import guy with only 5 domestics out of nearly 40 cars owned. A survey was done in USA Today that showed the discrepencay between perceived quality and actual. Mercury was at the bottom with very good quality yet low perception of quality. Range Rover had the highest perceived quality relative to it's actual poor quality. This is the kind of stuff that is hard to overcome much like American's perception of diesels. People are very forgiving of thier imports and if one thing goes wrong with a domestic they say "I'll never buy that piece of junk again". A friend of mine had a new BMW 528 spontaneously catch fire in the garage from a short in the power seat and the car was totaled. This was replaced with a Volvo for 18 months and now they have an 04 BMW 525! I guarantee if that had been a Buick in the garage they would never buy GM again. This is what the 300 has to overcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
When it comes to cars, Americans have an anti American bias fueled in part by the media and old history. Buick and Lincoln are excellent cars yet get little respect as good (not enthusiast) cars, and I am an import guy with only 5 domestics out of nearly 40 cars owned. A survey was done in USA Today that showed the discrepencay between perceived quality and actual. Mercury was at the bottom with very good quality yet low perception of quality. Range Rover had the highest perceived quality relative to it's actual poor quality. This is the kind of stuff that is hard to overcome much like American's perception of diesels. People are very forgiving of thier imports and if one thing goes wrong with a domestic they say "I'll never buy that piece of junk again". A friend of mine had a new BMW 528 spontaneously catch fire in the garage from a short in the power seat and the car was totaled. This was replaced with a Volvo for 18 months and now they have an 04 BMW 525! I guarantee if that had been a Buick in the garage they would never buy GM again. This is what the 300 has to overcome.

that is fine with me--that means fewer of these 300's on the road and more for me! :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
300c Owner said:
Did Mercedes purchase Chrysler or was it the other way?
If you are serious (I see no smileys in your post) - Mercedes-Benz parent company, Daimler-Benz purchased Chrysler and became Daimler-Chrysler or DCX. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
The deal was titled "merger of equals" but in actuality it appears that Mercedes is more in control. There is a lawsuit about this issue by a major shareholder who lost big bucks in this "merger of equals" when Chrysler stock tanked . This will be played out in the courts in the near future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
After my post I did a little research and found that most articles talk of a "merger of equals" but I did find something to indicate Mercedes became 55% owner ... enough said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
People's opinions don't bother me too much, i can take the trash talk. Let them go spend their money elsewhere. But what really gets me in the people who call Chryslers nothing but a cheap Mercedes, or a rebadged Mercedes. Or say their Mostly Mercedes. If any of that were true, then Lexus is nothing but a rebadged Toyota. Infiniti is nothing but a rebadged Nissan. And Saab is nothing but a rebadged Ford (way overstating it there).
I think the merger between Chrysler and Daimler is really a good thing, probably one of the best to happen to an american car company. Chrysler uses Mercedes technology, not necessarily their parts... generally. :) Sure, the crossfire is something like 40% Mercedes. But on the 300, i believe i heard from a DCX official, one would be hard pressed to find one part that's not "american", meaning made in North America. Even the supposed Mercedes transmission (which has been modified by Chrysler - autostick, torque converter) is made in Kokomo Indiana.
Rebadged Mercedes, i think not.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
However, I think calling the Chrysler 300 a "Rebadged Mercedes" is a compliment. And quite frankly, the main reason I am interested in the 300 and Magnum. That verbage is not the same as some calling a "Jaguar a Rebadged Ford". Now that is an insult. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
JS440,

I think you ment to refer to Saab as a rebadged chevy or GM. Ford ownes Jaguar, and Volvo (probably was thinking of Volvo). But I get your point and agree. I look at the merger as a good thing for me. I like and appreciate German Engineering. I also feel the 300C is potentially a perfect blend of some of the finer points or American Muscle and German engineering making for some great new styles. I also like the Crossfire, just not the price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,719 Posts
I agree with all of that guys however perception has a huge impact on re sale value. I am planning to keep my C 7-10 years so I don't care, short term buyers may have a big drop in value. "If it appreciates buy it, if it depreciates lease it" J. Paul Getty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Js440 said:
People's opinions don't bother me too much, i can take the trash talk. Let them go spend their money elsewhere. But what really gets me in the people who call Chryslers nothing but a cheap Mercedes, or a rebadged Mercedes. Or say their Mostly Mercedes. If any of that were true, then Lexus is nothing but a rebadged Toyota. Infiniti is nothing but a rebadged Nissan. And Saab is nothing but a rebadged Ford (way overstating it there).
I think the merger between Chrysler and Daimler is really a good thing, probably one of the best to happen to an american car company. Chrysler uses Mercedes technology, not necessarily their parts... generally. :) Sure, the crossfire is something like 40% Mercedes. But on the 300, i believe i heard from a DCX official, one would be hard pressed to find one part that's not "american", meaning made in North America. Even the supposed Mercedes transmission (which has been modified by Chrysler - autostick, torque converter) is made in Kokomo Indiana.
Rebadged Mercedes, i think not.

Js440 I hear what you’re say, but I would like the chance to set the record straight with the American public. There’s a fundamental different between being objective and just straight ignorant. And every chance I get I will educate the general public about the 300

Did anyone actually read the besmirching of the 300. Get this they complain because it is RWD, they call it a German piece of krap, and they have the audacity to call its styling cues ho-hum. Yes I will have to school a lot of people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
haha your right GMLind, didn't read back through that real well before i hit the 'reply' button. Yes, i meant Saab as beeing a rebadged Chev (GM) and Jag as being Ford... which quite frankly is rather rediculous. I think Saab and Jag have done an excellent job in keep true to their identities, and if they share technology with their parent companies, then i'd be hard pressed to find any proof.

However, i do feel that Infiniti is nothing but a rebadged Nissan, with a few extra options. Maybe they have a slightly higher standard for workmanship out of the factories, but i'm not really sure. Toyota and Lexus are guilty of the same thing. I know Lexus is higher rated, blah blah. But their cars are SO similar... At least with the Intrepid and 300m there was a significant difference in how the car looked, if not engine, suspension and overall feel.

I really think that the non-euro imports are going to suffer in the next few years, at least the higher end ones. I work in the video game industry, and i see the same problem in both fields... not enough innovative design. They don't really come up with many ideas for making cars desirable. Most of their ideas have been tried by other companies first. Then again, hehe at least they get them working ;)

I went to Lexus' website the other day, to price out an LS430. With their big package the car was over 70k... 70k! For that i could buy a 300c AND a Magnum. Or a 300c and a Crossfire. And honestly, there weren't that many more options on the Lexus than the 300C. Turning headlights, rear heated/cooled seats... couple other things but really... not worth double the cost of a 300C.

Haha, i feel like preachin to the choir, i'll shush up now :)
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top