Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinking about getting the Flowmaster force 2 exhaust and a cold air intake on my car. I also was thinking about getting the Diablosport tuner for it and I see that there are 2. One is the Diablosport intune I-1000 dcx tuner and the other one is the Diablosport trinty t-1000 tuner. My question is, I thought I read somewhere that the Diablosport tuner could actually be seen by Chrysler if you actually have to have the car worked on by the dealership even if you uninstall the tuner and return it back to factory settings when you go in for work. then there are threads that I have read that say As long as you return it to factory the dealer wont know that it was tuned. I think I saw something about a "ghost program" that will be stored in the ecu or something. I am not the most computer literate guy walking the planet, lol so if someone could clarify this up for me so I know what exactly I'm am going to be in for if I decide to do these modifications to the car I would greatly appreciate it. The reason for going with the tune is mainly to turn off the mds so I wont have ANY drone whatsoever. and then I read also that it has a 91 tune pre programmed that I can just install with the intake and exhaust that would give me better response and a little better gas mileage, so im thinking that would be a plus. the car isn't a track car and I live in nyc but I would like it to sound mean and have a little better pep in her step, but if the dealer is going to be able to "see it" then I would just rather wait until the warranty is gone and then get it done. Also can someone tell me the difference in the 2 different tuners, besides the price of course. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Interested in all the same questions, subscribed.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
I'm on the autoguide app...can't see which car you have guys...gen 1 or gen 2? Should be able to help a little more once I know that! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
311 Posts
This is posted in the 2nd gen forum (Does that not show up on the app?) But anyway 2nd Gen 5.7 for me.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
This is posted in the 2nd gen forum (Does that not show up on the app?) But anyway 2nd Gen 5.7 for me.
Nope out doesn't...that's why I mentioned it bud...sucks!

Yes there is a trace I guess left behind in the form of a ghost image (gen 1 there isn't), warranty wise unless they have a reason to look for it nobody will care. Now when you do have an issue if it it's PCM related and the image is found then if you have a stickler of a dealer then it could equal warranty issues for you. However they cannot void the entire warranty, nor can the void it on other individual components unless they can prove the software caused the issue. If you purchased new then this could be an issue, if you purchased it used with low mileage and warranty left you could argue it was sold to you with warranty and the previous guy dead the tune... ;-)

As for which unit, it's all about bells and whistles.. the trinity has more bits to play with but the core tunes are all the same! If you want a good tuner that you can change settings, read codes and load tunes with the intune is for you, if you want 0-60 timers amd the gizmos the the trinity has your name on it!

Reactions: 300CEE

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I have a 2012 300 with a Diablo Trinity tune on it. I run the 91 Octane tune on 93 Octane gas. I love it. I have the MDS turned off, which is worth the price of the tuner alone. I eventually plan to have a custom dyno tune done at HHP which is why I went with the Trinity over the InTune. (HHP recommended this.) Now as to the warrantee issue. I have had the car into the dealer about 5 times, mostly for oil changes (4 for the price of 1 deal). I always reinstall the factory tune and, at the advice of MADDOG, cycle the ignition on and off at least 10 times. One time I brought it in because my phone stopped syncing up with the U-Connect. I was a little nervous because I was pretty sure that they would run computer diagnostics to diagnose the problem. They replaced the U-Connect module to correct the problem, covered under warrantee. The dealer made no mention of a tune.

Now just to be clear, I'm not deluding myself. I think that Silver06hemic is correct in that the dealer is not going to see it unless they are specifically looking for it. I think that the biggest risk of being detected is if the factory gets involved in a major warrantee issue, say if you blow up your engine or tranny. I don't track the car, not yet anyway, and the 5.7 Hemi and tranny are pretty much bullet proof. It's a risk that I choose to take and anyone who installs a tune needs to be aware of.

·
Registered
311 Posts
What is the purpose of cycling the ignition 10x?

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
What is the purpose of cycling the ignition 10x?
I'm not exactly sure. It probably has to do with some type of "event log" in the computer. 10 key cycles moves the program change down or off the log. If MADDOG sees this maybe he will explain it.

2012 300S 5.7 V8

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
The key cycle 10X may be a myth as I can't scan my 1ST gen PCM like the dealer does.

However, the urban myth is that this clears any prior coding on 1st gen vehicles. For you both, with second gen vehicles, I suspect that the ghost image of the prior programmer coding is still on the PCM.

Regardless of whether it is or not, understand that Chrysler cannot blanket void the warranty on your entire car simply because you modified the car. The Magnuson - Moss Act outlines the rights of the seller and buyer with respects to warranty claims. The seller can disclaim a warranty if the buyer has modified the item and that modification was a direct result of the failure of an OEM part. Alternately, the seller cannot disclaim warranty for an item the buyer has modified if the modification was not the result of the failure.

In that context, let's look at the first scenario. You install an aftermarket supercharger and 3 weeks later your engine and transmission blow sky high. It won't be hard for the seller to prove your modifications caused the failure. Result is no warranty consideration for you!

Now the second scenario. You install an aftermarket audio head unit and 3 weeks later your engine and transmission blow up. It won't be hard for you to prove that your modification was not a cause for the drivetrain failure.

The issues with programmers, in addition to the "ghost image" which I have not seen direct proof of; is that it's difficult for both parties to prove or disprove they caused a problem. However, the consensus is that such a modification has a more direct impact on the drivetrain than simply an intake or exhaust modification.

Most of this will be tested in the courts or through mediation, which the Act provides for.

I know I may end up voiding any warranty I have given the fact that I have a programmer and a CMR tune on the car. But I am willing to take that risk as I believe my mods are not so radical as to significantly exceed the design of the components.

·
Registered
311 Posts
This is pretty much what I'm worried about... I am considering the lifetime warranty extension as I plan to keep the car well past 100k miles. Its primary use is as a standard daily driver, but I do read people have had good results with the fuel economy tune, as well as being able to eliminate the 118mph speed limiter (which isn't a big deal as I don't EVER drive that fast, it's more the principle of the matter, having pretty powerful and fast car artificially limited to such a low speed, and hey, you never know if I might end up in one of those high speed Hollywood chases trying to get me and my family away from some bad guys!)

My concern is, say I get the lifetime warranty, and at 200k+ miles the engine or trans start to go, more due to wear and tear than a catastrophic failure... Then the dealer sees some remnant of a reflash and decides the engine experienced abnormal wear due to non-factory PCM parameters. That doesn't seem like a terribly far-fetched idea.

OTOH, if I don't get the lifetime warranty, or if I decide to sell the car sooner, then it doesn't matter so much.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yep, I guess it will depend on whether we decide on the lifetime warranty or not, and evaluate how long we plan to keep the car. I don't think it would be an issue if we were only keeping the car for 100k or so, but considering I've averaged 120 miles per day since purchase, we'll hit 100k in less than 2 years..

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I think that I read somewhere that it's not a ghost image of the software that is left but a record of when the last reflash was done.

2012 300S 5.7 V8

·
Registered
311 Posts
Do we have any way to verify what the dealer/Chrysler would actually see?

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
This is pretty much what I'm worried about... I am considering the lifetime warranty extension as I plan to keep the car well past 100k miles. Its primary use is as a standard daily driver, but I do read people have had good results with the fuel economy tune, as well as being able to eliminate the 118mph speed limiter (which isn't a big deal as I don't EVER drive that fast, it's more the principle of the matter, having pretty powerful and fast car artificially limited to such a low speed, and hey, you never know if I might end up in one of those high speed Hollywood chases trying to get me and my family away from some bad guys!)

My concern is, say I get the lifetime warranty, and at 200k+ miles the engine or trans start to go, more due to wear and tear than a catastrophic failure... Then the dealer sees some remnant of a reflash and decides the engine experienced abnormal wear due to non-factory PCM parameters. That doesn't seem like a terribly far-fetched idea.

OTOH, if I don't get the lifetime warranty, or if I decide to sell the car sooner, then it doesn't matter so much.
I am also plan on keeping my car for a long time and am considering an extended warrantee. There is also a pretty good chance that I will continue to make modifications to my drivetrain. I am considering a cam even as we speak. If there is any drivetrain damage from those mods I will pay the price for playing and fix them myself. Part of the game. The reason that I will probably go for an extended warrantee is for all of the expensive electronic components on the car. Last month I had to have the hands free module replaced because it stopped syncing with my phone. Given the replacement cost of the major electronic components it only takes a couple of failures to make the extended warrantee worth it.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Good question!
With either the old starscan or the starmobile unit you would see what they see. To my knowledge there is no 'hidde menus' in their software, it's just where the tune file is listed would show the original tune and a ghost image of previously saved tunes from what I understand. If it shows anything other than stock then it would be recorded...now one again that in itself would void no warranties as per the law! However if you have a pcm issue or they can prove the motor you just blew a connecting rod through was blown due to a poor tune...then they could. Some people have claimed 'my warranty was voided' from a cai, that is garbage and not within the scope of the law. As Maddog stated so aptly, the Magnusson-moss act prohibits manufacturers from voiding warranties on any parts that cannot be directly proven were destroyed by the installation of an aftermarket part. Or else technically a set of rims could void a powertrain warranty! If you want the mods you pay your money and take your chance on the quality of the part you put on...in my experience if you read and review well and purchase good quality parts, most of the aftermarket stuff we install meets our exceeds OE specs anyway!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks guys for the info. I guess im just going to have to wait a few more years on making her go from red light to red light on warp speed. I do have one question that isn't exactly clear now though. that ghost image is if you install the tune correct. if I wanted to put an exhaust and just used the dcx I-100 to eliminate the mds then would the dealer ship know if I had cancelled out the mds just for the drone. seeing as though I cant make her a rocketship without voiding the warranty maybe I can make her sound like one for a little piece of mind.lol I just don't want the dealer to "see" that something was plugged in and turned off a "feature" of the car and start all their psychobabble about how turning the mds off caused the engine to jump out of the car and run away which in turn caused the tranny to lock the diff up and made my wiper blade not work correctly so the interior rattle wont be covered under warranty. You know.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts