Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not having driven a diesel car before the 300C I was quite surprised by engine noise at low revs (my previous car was a Rover 75 2.5l V6). I thought it was quite loud especially when stop starting in traffic in town.

I read in the TSB section, 04/08/08 … 0607 .. #09-001-08 …. 3.0L Diesel Engine Tick, Rattle Or Knock Sound .. (3) and went to the dealership to have them take a look (or should that be listen?). Anyway, the technician said that that it was no different to other 300C diesels.

This I've accepted as I've only experienced this one 300C but I was wondering if any forum members have had their 2006 3.0l CRD's bearings replaced?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Maybe you are listening and worrying a tad too much. Drive and enjoy! Being a diesel, it's bound, by the law of physics, to be somewhat noisier than a petrol. Have you given a thought to coming to the Hampshire car festival on either this Sunday or Monday. ( Or both!)Check out the thread. It would be nice to see you. Good Luck. Merl.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
My 300C is the same. Sounds to me like it is very noisy at low revs when pulling of or moving in slow heavy traffic. Once the revs hit about 1500 or it changes into 2nd it is quiet. My partner and friends don't notice the noise, in fact they all think it is super quiet never mind being quiet for a coal burner. I think it's just what all 300C's are like.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd have loved to have joined you all in Hants but it's my step daughters 30th this weekend and we're off to a family BBQ to celebrate.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
aaaah,the sweet sound of silence from the Hemi.lol

·
Registered
144 Posts
There is noise at low revs/speeds but people still seem to be oblivious to this and walk in front of the car as if its not there or silent like an electric car. Maybe its just us owners that can here it!

·
Registered
623 Posts
There is an inherent ticking noise that comes from the CRD units. I questioned my dealer about this and he says it's the hydraulic tappets. I have now driven 3 other diesel 300C's and they all sound exactly the same.

It is only noticeable when driving slowly, however with the radio on it disappears.

It's just a characteristic of the engine, only alternative is a hemi, more silent but also more thirsty!

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
It's just a characteristic of the engine, only alternative is a hemi, more silent but also more thirsty!
Dont forget quicker,faster and all the toys standard.LMAO

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
A quick word to the wise for anyone who is finding their CRD a bit noisier than it used to be / than they think it should be.

Check that the plastic engine cover is firmly in place on all 4 grommets. If it gets removed for any reason (at service time or adding a chip etc) its very easy to replace it, but not replace it firmly enough to make sure that it seats properly. & if its sitting 'slightly proud' the sound insulation isn't working properly on it.
Its also a good opportunity to make sure that your brake hose isn't trapped/kinked, which can have very unpleasant consequences.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
There is noise at low revs/speeds but people still seem to be oblivious to this and walk in front of the car as if its not there or silent like an electric car.
Yorky,
I stepped out of the car and trotted around the front and you are quite right. Silence. I'm happier now

It is only noticeable when driving slowly, however with the radio on it disappears
Da Pimp,
I got back in the car but Terry Wogan's soft lilt didn't drown the sound but the Who's Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy did the trick

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Sorry Ray, couldn't resist it,

"Quicker ,Faster" you are referring to depreciation???

SDM197

(Only Kidding:biggrin: )

It's either that or the rate it empties your wallet at!

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
not a problem boys,I can take aswell as give,

it only depreciates when you sell it.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Plus another ten grand to buy and more expensive insurance.

I just kept the extra money and got a set of earmuffs :biggrin:
so yours was £20,000 when it was new???.
Insurance isnt an issue with me,I have a traders policy

·
Registered
623 Posts
Looking at the new prices on Chryslers website (not taking in to account dealer discounts or inside trading) it is over £13,000 difference actually!

3.0 CRD V6 - £27,505.00
SRT-8 - £41,100.00

Not sure where the 5.7 fits in when it was sold, but when I was looking at them, there was a definite £10,000 difference between the CRD and Hemi.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
There was a distinct ticking noise, under gentle acceleration, on the demonstrator that I borrowed, but I have never experienced it on the car that I eventually purchased.

If you do a search, you will find this topic has been discussed before.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
I paid £30,000 3 years ago for my 5.7 hemi,new with the wheels n grille.The SRT8 wasnt out then

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
There is ticking/pinking/tapping noise under gentle acceleration on mine, especially when the engine is cold/just warm up. Someone told me to change the engine oil to 0W-40 which may help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts