Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got my heart set on getting a Getrag setup for me this year, 3.23 or 3.55 havnt decided yet.

I just assumed Getrag because that what everyone suggest/goes for.
But I see a lot of other diffs from say 2006 SRT8 cars, of course with a 3.06 like most Getrags have.

What is the difference between a Getrag 226 or just a common 215 setup from an older SRT8, is it just strength? I know axles are usually upgraded with either set, but If a older 215MM diff is good I can get those for like 300-400 compared to 800-1000 for the getrag.

Also, do the older diffs have a LSD stock? I have seen a how to thread over on LXF on how to upgrade the Getrag clutches....

·
Registered
931 Posts
So, I got my heart set on getting a Getrag setup for me this year, 3.23 or 3.55 havnt decided yet.

I just assumed Getrag because that what everyone suggest/goes for.
But I see a lot of other diffs from say 2006 SRT8 cars, of course with a 3.06 like most Getrags have.

What is the difference between a Getrag 226 or just a common 215 setup from an older SRT8, is it just strength? I know axles are usually upgraded with either set, but If a older 215MM diff is good I can get those for like 300-400 compared to 800-1000 for the getrag.

Also, do the older diffs have a LSD stock? I have seen a how to thread over on LXF on how to upgrade the Getrag clutches....
They upgraded the axles in SRT-8's to an axle with more splines back around 2008-2010. Can't remember exactly. But that would be my guess on the different model numbers.

·
Away From 300C Forum
19,587 Posts
Older (first gen 300's) came with an open differential and 3.06 gears. The first Limited Slip Differential (LSD) came with the Challenger and eventually made it's way to the 300 SRT. The newer LSD differentials (and the Getrag) have larger axles and have more splines for strength. I've seen a few first gen LX differential come apart, even with minimal mods, due to torque shock.

If you want more strength, better gearing ratios and the capacity to handle more torque, get a newer LSD from Chrysler or the Getrag.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How new are we talking? I was searching car-parts.com which searches "junk yards" and have found some getrags, but I was going off a 2011 Challenger. I could broaden that search more with knowing what years they came in, like I said I was guessing. The plan is to get a get rag, I only want to do this once and plan for the future which I do not know will hold yet powerwise.

·
Away From 300C Forum
19,587 Posts
2009 and up Challenger SRT is where I'd start. The only issue with the stock LSD from 2009 is the gearing, IMHO. 2010 & up offered more gear choices. I believe the axle size, spec and # of splines is the same from 2009 & up.

Remember, your stock axles won't fit the 2009 + LSD.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks maddog. Always appreciate your knowledge.

I am planning on having Erik at BFNY up near Cleveland Ohio to set it up for me. I got a quote already but was looking to make it a tad cheaper by bringing him a get rag. It does suck they only came in 3.06, 3.73 and 3.96, the last two might be to tall for a daily auto. 3.06 seems to short, Erik can set up either a 3.23 or 3.55 using US Gear just havnt decided which I want. He also has new axles.

The gears, trinity, lmi airhammer, and a catback would liven her up a bit. That's about all the plans I got for this year performance wise.

·
Away From 300C Forum
19,587 Posts
3.55 has always been my choice due to prior experience with gear set changes in 10.5" GM ring gear rear ends. I went from a 3.08 to a 3.42 gear in my Impala SS and it was an amazing change. 3.73's are a bit tall for freeway cruising & road trips.

Good luck with the mod!

·
Registered
931 Posts
3.55 has always been my choice due to prior experience with gear set changes in 10.5" GM ring gear rear ends. I went from a 3.08 to a 3.42 gear in my Impala SS and it was an amazing change. 3.73's are a bit tall for freeway cruising & road trips.

Good luck with the mod!
It would come down to the transmission gearing to tell you what is best, and what you're doing with the car. Don't want a rear gear that has you shifting to a higher transmission gear right before you trap at the dragstrip if you want to track the car. But I recall reading people having good expereince going 3.55 in gen1 SRT's.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, 3.55 may be it. I found some Getrags on car-part.com near me, 3.06 stock LSD from 09+ challenger, prices range from 400-1000. Will probably be calling soon, Also want to go ahead and swap in stronger axles but HOLY MOLY those a LOT pricier than I expected. Was Trying to do this swap for under $1200, Gears are around $500 I may not make that happen!

·
Away From 300C Forum
19,587 Posts
Yeah, it ain't cheap. Try pricing a new 3.55 setup with a WaveTrack or Getrag LSD & 600 or 1,000 HP axles!

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why not get the axels off the 09 challenger as well as the tone rings ,and if your talking to erik ask him what you will need to compleat this .he'll tell ya.
I have, he gave me a quote and said axles hubs and bolt kit, but didn't say what axles. Also a price for putting in the gears when I find a get rag I will talk to him again and find out what axles, I am guessing stock?

Which I haven't been able to research yet but what kind of power does a completely stock getrag setup hold?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Thanks guys, 3.55 may be it. I found some Getrags on car-part.com near me, 3.06 stock LSD from 09+ challenger, prices range from 400-1000. Will probably be calling soon, Also want to go ahead and swap in stronger axles but HOLY MOLY those a LOT pricier than I expected. Was Trying to do this swap for under $1200, Gears are around $500 I may not make that happen!

Lol. Yup I think my DSS 1000hp axles costed me 3200$ alone.

·
Premium Member
7,078 Posts
I have, he gave me a quote and said axles hubs and bolt kit, but didn't say what axles. Also a price for putting in the gears when I find a get rag I will talk to him again and find out what axles, I am guessing stock?

Which I haven't been able to research yet but what kind of power does a completely stock getrag setup hold?
The stock axels that came with the getrag are a lot stonger than the axels you have now.. how much HP do you want? and yep DSS axels will set you back but.. you won't have to worry about breakage.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The stock axels that came with the getrag are a lot stonger than the axels you have now.. how much HP do you want? and yep DSS axels will set you back but.. you won't have to worry about breakage.
Im not sure how much I want, in time I want to either stroke my 5.7 to 392 or buy a 426 short block from Arrington or someone and finish it.

Either way I think a supercharger would be great after that. I would really like to see a 3.6 Kenne Bell. But still I am not sure as of yet. I don't know if I will be able to do the axles this year along with some other plans, but yes stockers should hold me over.

I have a good lead on a SRT8 front fascia, and have found a few SRT8 rear fascias on eBay, plus paint on those as well.

Gotta limit the spending, I think a trip to Disney World is in the works this year as well!

Reactions: Sodak
1 - 15 of 15 Posts