Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering about the differences between the 2nd Gen (2014) and the 3rd Gen SRT other than the 8 speed transmission and appearance?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering about the differences between the 2nd Gen (2014) and the 3rd Gen SRT other than the 8 speed transmission and appearance?

Thanks in advance
No idea about India, but in the USA, there are only two generations of LX/LD 300s, and the SRT-8 was discontinued in 2015.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I looked at this issue as I was comparing US 300 SRTs (which were only sold to 2014) to 2015 and later US Dodge Charger SRTs.

The most meaningful difference is the switch from the 5 speed NAG1 transmission to the 8 speed ZF transmission. Because of the wider range and closer gears of the 8 speed, this should give quicker acceleration (particularly off the line) and better gas mileage. The shifter is also a dial rather than a shift handle, I believe.

The 2015 and higher SRTs have a bit more horsepower, from 470 to 485, due in part to a switch from hydraulic to electric power steering. I understand there were also internal engine changes, to add strength, taken from the stronger truck version of the 6.4 hemi (known as the BGE).

I believe the U connect systems were also changed, including the navigation system.

There are many other changes as in the normal course of car models. You find those as you are ordering parts and see different part
numbers.

Other than the 8 speed transmission, I don’t think you should base your choice on these differences as they are not that meaningful. Any SRT from 2012 and later will be a blast to drive and also a comfortable tourer.

I ended up buying a US 2012 300SRT, with very low miles and in great condition. I do my own mechanical work (or at least try) and so prefer the NAG1 5 speed transmission as it is a proven reliable Mercedes design and parts and aftermarket upgrades are more plentiful than for the ZF 8 speed. This will change as time moves on, of course.

I suspect others on this forum will chime in and likely correct some of my statements.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I like the 05-10 SRT8 if you are planning on building it up...the 5 speed is better for big power and the 6.1 is a better motor to start with. I stroked and built mine and couldn't be happier!

·
Premium Member
2019 Chrysler 300 SRT
883 Posts
We still have the SRT here in Australia, albeit in very limited numbers new.

Aside from the main differences the guys have mentioned above, there have been some very small cosmetic changes, in fact one of the only changes to the Australian model was a switch from carbon fibre to piano black trim in some internal areas on the 2020 onwards model.

There were a few different appearance changes to model designation such as Hyperblack, Satin Vapour but pretty much from 2017/18 onwards we have just two, Core (doesn't come with all the tech and driving aids, hifi etc.) and then a full fat SRT with everything (which I own a 2019 model).

Stef

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

1 - 5 of 5 Posts