Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, I am brand new to this site. I am going to purchase a 300c and am debating between AWD and RWD. I live in Reno Nevada and we get some snow, once in a while we get a lott. I love RWD in general but would like to have AWD in the snow. think i need it? Im in Real Estate so being able to drive at all times is good. Chrysler says the RWD is good in sknow and on ice but I dont know if I believe it after all its a heavy and long fullsize car. also I would like to be able to mod the car some and am concerned about that with the AWD, suspension, wheels etc. how about the performance of the two, any different? I also read some where that the AWD is 1 inch higher is that true?
any input would be very helpful. thanks all!
-Fionn

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I am in central Ohio and I bet we get a lot more snow than you, the RWD C behaved beautifully in the snow and ice on stock Contis. Having said that, I was more cautious than in the Jeep or X5, my last RWD was an 87 300E which was great as long as I had Blizzaks. The C with the MB ESP and TCS is very impressive in the snow, it will never be as good as an AWD however. This past Winter was my first, plenty of snow and I had to make it break traction just to test the systems. We never had snow scraping the bottom of the car, it is fairly low but they plow all night here and I never came close to getting stuck. If there is deep stuff any car can get hung up in it, the X5 did a few years ago at the entry to my driveway. AWD does give that extra feeling of confidence and may be worth it but looks so dang goofy on the 300 unlike the Audi/BMW/MB AWD whick looks like the RWD models. If I needed AWD I would prolly not get the 300 b/c of that awful, idiotic, and unnecessary wheel gap, I would prolly get an Audi.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've never tested the 300C with traction controll activated but I opted for the AWD because I live in MI. Last year I rented a Lincoln LS with "Traction Control" and drove in Boston for 10 days. It was about the most annoying thing I ever driven, since I got stuck couple of times. It was pretty embarassing! Well that's just say I'll take the one extra inch anyday and not get stuck when you are trying to merge on roads.

Due to my job, I drive about 20K per year, snow or ice, which made my decision easy. Three straight months there will be snow on the ground up here. And, Ann Arbor is probably the worst in MI when it comes to plowing their roads, hell the sun melts it quicker then they plow.

So I guess it all depends on how much snow and how well your roads are plowed.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
rbb2000 said:
I've never tested the 300C with traction controll activated
Not sure I understand your comment...it automatically comes on...you have disabled it every time you have driven?

·
Registered
96 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
I am in central Ohio and I bet we get a lot more snow than you, the RWD C behaved beautifully in the snow and ice on stock Contis. Having said that, I was more cautious than in the Jeep or X5, my last RWD was an 87 300E which was great as long as I had Blizzaks. The C with the MB ESP and TCS is very impressive in the snow, it will never be as good as an AWD however. This past Winter was my first, plenty of snow and I had to make it break traction just to test the systems. We never had snow scraping the bottom of the car, it is fairly low but they plow all night here and I never came close to getting stuck. If there is deep stuff any car can get hung up in it, the X5 did a few years ago at the entry to my driveway. AWD does give that extra feeling of confidence and may be worth it but looks so dang goofy on the 300 unlike the Audi/BMW/MB AWD whick looks like the RWD models. If I needed AWD I would prolly not get the 300 b/c of that awful, idiotic, and unnecessary wheel gap, I would prolly get an Audi.
"Dang Goofy" :fing26:

....to me there really isn't much of a noticable difference in that awful, idiotic wheel gap. And if it really bothers you put some 20's on it.

IMO, at least where I live AWD comes in real handy in the winter. You have a lot more confidence and the car will performe much better no matter how good the traction control is.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Many of the same storms hit me after they hit Reno. It only took one storm and near white out conditions to convince me that I made the right decision. I had my son and baby granddaughter with me and got caught in a bad snow storm just three days after I got the car. Even with 4 inches accumulating on the interstate and 6 to 12 inches on the surface street, it felt completely stable. In fact, it was much more stable than my 4X4 F-350 and even my Subaru in that kind of snow. The 300C is for my wife to drive year round up here in the Rocky Mountains. Screw the extrawheel gap. She and my granddaughter are worth more to me than a little extra bling.

These are links to other threads on the forum addressing the same subject. Read JoeSRT8's post on the second page of the first link. He's owned both.

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3993&page=2&pp=10

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=73256#post73256

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
C bandit, I hear you on the gap but 20s won't help the wheel gap if you maintain the same OD. Otherwise your speedo and rear end ratio will be off. I did state guys that the RWD will never be as good as AWD, having had several AWD vehicles, they are very comforting in incliment weather.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes I guess you could say that the AWD drive is very comforting since we were in some bad driving conditions between Rapid City SD and Colorado. A tractor trailer jack-knifed right in front of me due to real heavy slush, he lost control went in the ditch and threw wooden fence posts everywhere. I stopped and helped him clear the road and then got out of there before someone else lost control also. What I am getting at is that we didn't even realize the roads were icy and slushy in the 300C, This car is better on bad roads than my Durango R/T that is equipped with AWD also. The first time you get stuck or spin out in your RWD, I guarantee you wont give a shit about an extra inch of fenderwell clearance on the AWD not looking right.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have an awd and i like it. I don't have to worry about curbs when parallel parking, hitting the speed bumps, and shallow potholes. The gap is really annoying but i'm getting use to it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I also encourage you to make some decisions on aftermarket parts that you may want before making your decision. I can't tell you how many times I saw the footnote "does not fit AWD". This is especially for wheels, lowering springs, etc.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Advantages of AWD.
1. Smother ride due to 1" more travel and different suspension parts.
2. Extra travel to save your car on those speed bumps, curbs and messed up driveways.
3. Cornering out of turns feels like it's on a rail. Where the RWD will pitch out the back end the AWD holds on tight.
4. Launches better in almost all road conditions. Example: 0-60 in under 6 seconds in heavy rain.
5. Stealth takeoffs and no tire smoking avoiding possible exhibition of speed tickets.
6. Rare, I've never seen another AWD 300C on the rode yet.
7 ???

Disadvantages.
1. Many don't like the extra wheel gap.
2. No tire smoking takeoffs or wheel chirps to impress your friends.
3. Harder to find aftermarket rims.
4. ???
5. ???

·
Registered
96 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
C bandit, I hear you on the gap but 20s won't help the wheel gap if you maintain the same OD. Otherwise your speedo and rear end ratio will be off. I did state guys that the RWD will never be as good as AWD, having had several AWD vehicles, they are very comforting in incliment weather.[/QUOTE

You have a point there....I was just giving you a hard time :biggrin:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, one thing is for sure ... if you order an AWD, you won't get it for a while. Production has been halted to 7/18/05, no I mean 7/25/05, no now it's 9/1/05! I've been waiting since March, and it feels like I'll never get it. Winter drags on forever here in North Jersey, so RWD is not an option for me and my wife.

Today, for the first time, I'm seriously considering a different car. Any suggestions? :mad:

Does anyone have a clue why the AWD delay?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts