Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just got my 300c its a 05 it says boston on door by mirror and it has a spot for sub in the rear deck not sure if I have a center in the dash yet. I have just a basic cd am fm oem in it now plan on putting in a double din pioneer but waiting on nav dash to arrive. Besides pulling grill off center speaker is there any other way to know if I have 6 or 8 speakers secondly im installing a JBL MS-8 as of now my plan is to by pass factory amp and use exicting wires and simply putting ms-8 in factory amp location with slight mods my question is what is everyone using as far as factory retention of the wheel controls and display in dash. It sounds good now but I noticed it sounds as if the doors are the drivers and dash is highs?? Has anyone made a custom box and used the existing sub hole as a blow threw so you dont have the poor sound with back seat up??

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Taking the grille off is really easy. If you really want to find out how your car is equipped you can check this out:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/general-discussion/98275-how-my-car-equipped.html

To keep the steering wheel controls involves you using an adapter that can speak with the CAN-BUS in the car. Speaking of that, you'll need that anyway as there is no such ignition lead in the harness at the radio. The CAN-BUS system handles that.

I would suggest getting a unit from PAC. Look at the C2R-CHY4 plus SWI-RC.
To save on buying two parts you can also look at the RP4-CH11. That has all you need to make sure your new double-din radio will talk to the car's computer and vice versa.

There are a couple of sure fire ways to get good bass in the car:

1. enclosure with the subs firing forward behind the seats. The key here is you MUST ensure the front is sealed from the trunk, otherwise you will get cancellation.

2. enclosure with the subs firing rearward. You mentioned the stock sub opening. Make sure this stays open as it will help the bass get into the car. This method will be more forgiving as you don't have to seal the enclosure against the back seats and you will get reinforcement from the subs firing into the trunk wall. This is the method I used and I was able to hit mid 130s with a pair of 12s. (I'm not an spl guy btw).

There are tons of other methods such as mounting enclosures on the side wall between the wheel well and the tail lights, or using the spare tire well (I like this the least in this car).

You could even open the stock sub hole up more and put a larger sub in. Frankly I think this is too much work and wouldn't want to risk any structural problems down the road. However, we did have a user put a pair of 10s in an enclosure mounted in the rear deck.

We've even had someone mount the sub enclosure so that it fires through the rear seat arm rest.

I think you are better off using one of the other methods (1&2) and just leaving the stock sub mount open to let the bass flow in naturally.

And btw, your plan to bypass the stock amp makes the ms-8 unnecessary. You would use the ms-8 to fix the sound quality caused by the stock amp. But if you already have it, then by all means use it. It is a great piece.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only reason I said I would remove stock amp is because I dont want the ms-8 pushing power into the stock unit because the stock does not have any rca input

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I think you have is reversed. The MS-8 would receive the signal either from the radio or the amp, not the other way around. It would send the output toward the speakers.

And the MS-8 is designed to work with systems that don't have RCA connections, so you are covered there.

One reason you may want to have the amp feed the signal to the MS-8 is because without it there is no fader control. The radio communicates with the amp via CAN-BUS, which basically controls the tone controls, volume, and fader. Removing the stock amp will "trigger" the radio to start handling this function, BUT, there is only a single stereo lead from the radio.

Bottom line, if you remove the stock amp, you won't have fad capability at the radio. However, you should be able to shape the sound through the MS-8 any way.

Be aware that depending upon how many channels the stock amp feeds, you won't have a full range signal from some of them.

The dash are high passed around 120hz.
The doors are low passed around 120hz.

If it is a 6 speaker system the rear speakers receive a full range

If it is an 8 speaker system, the rear speakers are high passed at 120 hz and the sub is low passed around 90 hz.

I'm making the assumption that the MS-8 can take all of the inputs and create a "summed" signal for those that are filtered at the stock amp, clean up the signal and provide the appropriate processed outputs.

So you do have the option to connect the amplifier to the MS-8, or the radio to the MS-8.

I would first try connecting the stock amp's speaker leads to the MS-8, then using the MS-8's built-in amp to run the speakers.

Reactions: ekaz and MADDOG

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
One question I didn't answer and I should have. None of what you have planned will affect the steering wheel controls. Only if you replace the stock head unit will you have to do something.

·
Administrator
19,737 Posts
I kinda wondered about putting it before the amp. Seems to me you want that to stay in place to provide a digital signal downstream for an aftermarket one when it's inevitably added.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
You can put it before the amp, but as Maddog mentioned, you lose functionality when you do it.

I forgot to even ask, but if you have Uconnect or NAV, you MUST leave the stock amp in the signal path.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not have either of those basicly im installing ms8 now off stock radio(am/fm cd) until dash comes in then pulling stock putting in the 7 inch/nav pioneer and then disconnecting the high level input and pluggin in the rca but atm I have two plugs from other diagrams I found the smaller plug has only door n deck speakers in it and the other has input and can bus and dash speaker im a little concerned about yhe fact the diagram says the one with only 4 speakers is the output of stock amp and the big plug is input but yet im missing dash speakers??

·
Administrator
19,737 Posts
Did you buy the car used? It may be the previous owner had pulled the dash speakers or you may only have a 4 spkr system (front doors, rear package tray) which means you don't have an amp.

I'd pull the lower dash cover under the steering wheel and look for the amp.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I already pulled the amp to put the ms8 between amp and speakers and I can see the speaker in the dash from there my questiom is normaly one plug is input the other is out put but my output plug only has four speakers im heading back out now to finish it ill keep you posted

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
What you observed about the connectors is correct. The input connector does have outputs for speakers in it. Can't explain why Chrysler did it that way, but that's how they chose to do it.

If you removed the amp, then you really only have the left and right speaker leads from the stock radio to connect to the MS-8. Those leads would be on the "input" connector. You can see the color codes in the FAQ.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually went threw and left the stock amp and put the ms 8 after the amp and let me tell you running 24 wires to and from the ms8 to the truck was a nightmare since it wouldnt fit under dash or front seats it does sound better im very impressed with the boston stereo I should have the nav dash when I get back home this weekend so ill end up putting in the pioneer ill keep everyone posted how it sounds with it all updated

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I hear you.

Sounds like you got the hardest part done. I would suggest getting the pac rp4-ch11 adapter when you get your head unit. That will adapt the pioneer to the car and keep your steering wheel controls.

hopefully there will be pics?

Reactions: ekaz

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ill post pictures as soon as I get back home friday I did put rims on it soon ad I figure out how to put pictures on here ill post them

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quick question I have a jl 360/4 im throwing around the idea of deleting factory and using that or just the ms8 only eventually its gonna be a spl car but my question is if I buy ch11 and install my head unit will I have wheel retention and display in my speedo with out the factory amp

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Only the stock radio will display in the EVIC.

The CH11 will allow you replace the stock radio and keep your steering wheel controls.

If you replace the radio, there's no real reason to keep the stock amp in place.
You should really think about going directly from the radio to the MS-8 using RCA cables in that case.

Then you are free to use both the MS-8 and JL amp but follow the rules in the instructions.

Example,

use the MS-8 amplifier on channels 1-4 means you should only connect RCA cables on output channels 5-8 to your JL amp.

In other words, you shouldn't connect a speaker to channel 1 and use the RCA channel 1 output at the same time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes im aware of that just was not sure with the stock amp using the canbus?? My intention is to simply unplug the stock am since I had to run the output amp wires to the ms8 then back to thr stock harness.. as of now the plan is to use rca to ms8 and leave output connected as is just remove the hi level inputs. I have also read that if your going to replace the rear deck speakers you should do so before tinting because itd such a tight space you could harm your tint is there any truth to this or is that just a rookie move? Its scheduled for new tint saturday! !

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
yeah, the stock amp does connect and communicate through can-bus, but it can be removed without causing any issues computer-wise, especially since the radio will be replaced. I think you have a solid plan going forward.

With regard to the rear speakers: It is tight to work in the rear, but I'd say be careful and you should be ok. The panels pull away from the window, so I'm not sure why/how they damaged the tint.

We do have a step-by-step somewhere on here with how to get to the rear speakers as well.
And I don't think the author of that had any special warnings about tinting either.

I didn't get additional tint in my cool V, but I don't recall scraping the rear window while working back there at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts