Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my oil changed with 7 qts Mobil 1 0W-40. When I got home, I double checked the oil level and it appeared to be considerably beyond the safe indicator on the dipstick. I took the car back to the service center and we measured it several times. On the side of the dipstick with the imprinting for measuring levels, it appeared to be about 1/2 quart high. On the backside of the dipstick, it was in the safe range. How do I interpret this? The service center said that they have seen this prior on other SRT models and were instructed to read both sides of the dipstick and refernce the lower of the readings. I checked it again this morning and saw similar results. The oil level on the side of the dipstick was above the safe line, but again on the back it was at the top of the safe line. I am concerned and understand that too much oil is worse than too little. Please give me some advice here.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've changed my oil 3 times now and usually put in 6.5 quarts of Mobil 1 ow-40. 7 quarts seems to be a little on the agressive side. Also, be sure that the car is on LEVEL ground and check it while engine is cold. Pull the stick out and clean it off the first time, stick it back in fully and then check it the 2nd time.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
this is a known issue, 7 quarts it will always read a little over, the general consensus is it's better to be a little over than under filled :)

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
The M1-301 Mobil 1 oil filter will take another 1/4 quart over the regular one. It has been stated that the SRT engineers played around with oil levels while testing. They ran the 6.1 1 quart overfull and 2 quarts underfull and had no problems, so we do have some wiggle room. I always like to be just past the overfill line myself - like 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Never had a problem in 53000 miles, I am on my 16th oil change now.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Mike, make sure you buy a catch can for that motor too if you don't want oil sitting in the intake. I generally collect maybe a 1/4 quart every 3k miles in the catch can. I'm only on my second change and that's what i've observed. A little extra oil in the motor won't help as long as it's in the oil pan lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. I had the oil lowered to the top of the safe line. Nice to know there is some tolerance at different levels. The last time I checked before I took it back to have the oil level dropped (cold), it was practically at the bend in the dipstick.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An oil catch can is next on my list. I have been eye-balling the Billet Technology can. Thanks

·
Registered
565 Posts
An oil catch can is next on my list. I have been eye-balling the Billet Technology can. Thanks
That's the one I have. Works well and looks good

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
6.5 qts puts me at the right level.

I put in 7qts once and also felt uncomfortable about the high-ish looking level... but I do my own changes and have a Fumoto valve installed which made it a breeze to drop a little out of the bottom.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very cool. I just installed my catch can from BT. I ordered with the Z-bracket because I have the factory air cleaner package still. CAI and Predator next!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts