Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sat in a 300C for the first time today and I was disappointed by the lack of luxury in the interior (Lots of plastic on dash and doors, plastic knobs and buttons, chrome-covered plastic, etc.) I have two questions:

1. Does anybody else share this concern?
2. Did anybody have this concern at first glance and now have a different opinion?

In my opinion, few cars can match the SRT-8's combination of size, horsepower, acceleration, braking, and handling. I am still very excited about buying the SRT-8, but I believe that the interior is mismatched with the rest of the car. (The interior of the 300C looks more like a $20,000 car than a $40,000 or $50,000 car.)

I hope no one finds my opinion offensive and I do hope that my first impression will change with time.

·
Registered
391 Posts
since the interior of the 300c shares with the cheaper base models, you actually are getting a 20k interior. The leather seats and optional walnut wood helps, but I totally agree with what you are talking about but you gotta remember, it's still a chrysler so it's not going to have the interiors like other High end luxury cars, but for the money, the 300c is the best bang for the buck as a whole.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
It's an American car, that is what we all live with. My Corvette interior isn't much better and that costs even more money. If you want fit and finish, you will need to look at foreign cars............

p.s. the CTS- V interior is nice, but then again, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Yes, we all generally agree - the 300C interior could use some sprucing up -- hence the hot market for wood dash kits.
Still, you'll find the quality of the materials (dash, knobs) is pretty good, and solid. Absolutely no rattles, shakes, etc from my C - 6000 miles and counting. It's also has an extremely quiet interior, and very smooth ride - thanx to the advanced SLA suspension upfront.
Think DCX was also "saving" something for the next LX-based model - the I-M-P-E-R-I-A-L. That car will feature ostrich-skinned dashboard, fine burled walnut, mouton carpetting, gold-,...well, I digress. But you get the idea.
What upsets me, is that they left off the little chrome rings on the steering wheel (see photo) and door pulls - that were on the Concept Car shown to the public. Would have cost all of 59 cents....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
silversrt8 said:
I sat in a 300C for the first time today and I was disappointed by the lack of luxury in the interior (Lots of plastic on dash and doors, plastic knobs and buttons, chrome-covered plastic, etc.) I have two questions:

2. Did anybody have this concern at first glance and now have a different opinion?

In my opinion, few cars can match the SRT-8's combination of size, horsepower, acceleration, braking, and handling. I am still very excited about buying the SRT-8, but I believe that the interior is mismatched with the rest of the car. (The interior of the 300C looks more like a $20,000 car than a $40,000 or $50,000 car.)

I hope no one finds my opinion offensive and I do hope that my first impression will change with time.
I agree 100%. Time to start adding things... There are leather console covers and door arm rests available. More to come...

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
aspendog,

how much is the leather console cover in medium sleight grey?

Thanks,

aspendog said:
I agree 100%. Time to start adding things... There are leather console covers and door arm rests available. More to come...

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Maybe I haven't sat in enough cars to get a good comparison, but I like the simplicity and look of the interior. Looks great to me, and I don't "feel" it is cheap looking. The only concern I have is the durability of the interior. For example, the brushed chrome key hole scratches too easily, and scratches/marks show up too easily on the plastics - such as the center console assembly, or dash.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
speedmeister said:
aspendog,

how much is the leather console cover in medium sleight grey?

Thanks,
I don't have the medium slate in-stock, the dark slate and Light Greystone are $62.95 shipped. If I get some more requests for the medium I will get a hide...

·
Registered
358 Posts
silversrt8 said:

According to Chrysler, a fancy interior would have put the car in at over 5K at least than we're paying now. They skimped on the interior, true. I own a 2002 BMW M3, and, the 300 isn't even close...

But, it's more than good enough, and, the car is a real steal for the cash, so, I'm waiting on an SRT8.

LJB ;)

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
silversrt8 said:

There are some shortcomings on the interior as many have pointed out. I have come to love the interior as I get to know it better.

I would be over the moon if my 300C could come anywhere close to a luxury car like the E series Mercedes for the small details such as:

• precise heater/ ac controls with click stops
  • comfortable articulate seats with dual memory
  • thick side glass with express up and down lever pulls
  • door locks that open when you open the doors
  • radio that stays on till you open the doors
  • lots of soft interior lighting in all the right places
  • a full articulated steering wheel that moves up-down-in-out electronically
  • sophisicated stalk mount cruise control
  • classic clockface analogue guages
  • firm precise germanic type steering with leather covering
  • soft smooth leather facing on seats with ample thigh support
  • seat that moves back automatically upon exit coordinated with a steering wheel that swings up out of the way
  • pedals that move in and out electrically and set in memory for the perfect driving position
  • a world class nav system with a large screen read out, a small between the gauges readout
  • a nice soft voice to prompt you for turns
  • airbags everywhere and a 5 star front and side safety rating
  • scary quiet cruising that is quieter than a deVille at 70 mph
  • heated mirrors that autodim and tilt downwards on reverse
  • an electronic info center that will give tons of info
  • carpets as soft as the finest mouse fur
Oh, and did I mention the C has all this, and more, already? And that much of it comes right off the Merecedes E class cars?

The yards of plastic in this big cruiser are boring though. It is fun to dress up the interior with leather trim (from Aspendog), upgraded carpets, and my favourite - Walnut Burlwood custom trim kit. Here's a link:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3070

·
Registered
11 Posts
This one area is unfortunately the reason I may not get the 300 SRT-8. The leather is cheap, there is way too much plastic, it looks like a 20K car interior.

When I went to check out the 300C, I sat in the back to get a feeling for the room. I put my head back and noticed that the headliner just sits there. Ther eis nothing attaching it to the back of the car (by the rear window). I put my hand up there and could pull the headliner down from the 1/2" gap that was there.

Looking into my other choice, the INfiniti M45, I get 335 hp, 340 ft. lbs. 4.5L motor with titanium valves, heated AND COOLED seats, navigation with voice control, rear back up camera, ability to play DVD's on the nav system, 5.1 surround with 14 speakers (1 speaker in each seat!), rear wheels that turn with you to aid in cornering (.90 g on the skid pad), brakes that haul the car down from 60 as fast as a Ferrari 360 Modena, 19" forged wheels, all aluminum suspension. Mp3 player, real rosewood, outstanding build quality, a loaner whenever I bring the car in for service (which shouldn't be often given Nissan/Infiniti's track record). Unfortunately, i'll be paying about 5K-10K more for that depending on how it is optioned. The SRT-8 will smoke me like i am standing still and the 300C will be just about even ( M45 13.8 @ 102 mph). I can't figure out if I should give up performance for luxury and just buy the Mini Cooper S that my wife wants and have fun with that at autocrosses and track events!!!

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
I love the interior of my C... It's much better looking than my 'vette or hubby's BMW 740is, and MUCH, MUCH quieter than either one! The seats are comfy for long trips and it's roomy... can't say that about the others either.

Most of NR's points are on the mark, although I am not a fan of wood kits or that crummy mouse fur :p. I would also add the heated seats to his list.. mmmm toasty.

For me 'clean & simple' is the ideal and I feel the C achieves that... many trims plain look overdone.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I too, like the basis of the interior. Sure it could have been more luxuriously appointed but, having said that the price would have soared and then we all would have had the exact same package.

I like the fact that I can go to a leather shop and redo/upgrade the interior to my taste and probably won't spend nearly as much as I would have been charged for something factory installed.

This car lends itself to personal customising so well.

The nice thing is we aren't paying a big chunk of change like the poor Cadi owners are, for their luxury appointments.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I find it interesting that there are such differing (all valid of course) view points on this one; For me, it’s the perfect balance of simplicity & function without being too severe. It’s kind of retro, but a clearly modern, functional layout with excellent ergonomics. At one point, I was considering a 5 series BMW, but their I-Drive system was the decision maker for me. Almost everyone hates it because there is nothing intuitive about it. You have to use the screen (with multiple layers) to access entertainment and HVAC controls. Inconvenient at best, dangerous at worst. Speaking of being thoroughly modern, I have the navigation system, and this thing just plain fascinates me; It is eerily accurate, especially going through expressway interchanges. There are big bold arrows prompting you, for example to ‘stay right, then left’, then a scale telling you it’s 1000 ft to your next turn, counting down to 900’, 800’ and so on. Better (and safer yet), are the voice prompts as well as a display (arrows and all) in the EVIC window between the speedo and tach. Since we plan to travel the country (just retired) this will be a big help in unfamiliar cities. Also, just go to the ‘Emergency Screen’, and the system will guide you to the nearest hospital, police or fire dept. If you are stranded, you can call for help and pinpoint your actual location (longitude / latitude). I love it! Excuse the rambling, but if any of you have questions regarding the Navigation system, perhaps I can help you. Just post the question. I’ll re-post part of this note under the Cars/Audio/Alarms/Navigation threat as well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
GaryCampbell said:
For me, it’s the perfect balance of simplicity & function without being too severe. It’s kind of retro, but a clearly modern, functional layout with excellent ergonomics.
Amen. I like tasteful simplicity. This definitely is a subjective thing.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
300C, Understated elegance, I like the interior, going with a wood kit in the spring. Newsflash, all of these cars have plastic dashes and trim, have you been in a Bimmer lately, what do you think the dash is leather? Same for Lexus, MB, etc. Even the "Real Wood" is coated in plastic on all these cars. For many years MB was known for teutonic, dark, drab interiors and described as businesslike to give it a passing grade even though materials were of good quality. Pontiacs are no more plastic than Infiniti but that hard pebble grain monotone dash with rubbery leather seats that look like wet cement sure looks cheap, it's not the plastic, it's the type, look,and feel of the plastic that makes all the difference.

D Nyholm, the 05 M45 is spectacular, beats the C to 60 and 1/4 mile. 5.3 and 13.8 at 101.6 in the latest R&T. 15,000 small problems all dollar bills. My C with Nav, PGII,HID, pedals was $35K the M45 starts at 50K.I think the C interior "look" is more infiniti than lexus. Leather feel is quite substandard in the C though. The M45 to SRT8 is close and don't bet on getting smoked to bad, the SRT8 is quoted at 4.9 and add 1/2 second to account for irrational exuberance. The C first did 5.3 and ALL subsequent tests were 5.8-6.3 (new Avalon 6.6! spooky close to 6.3). I think the M45 will actually do 5.3, gearing and a better transmission you can hold to redline which is important on an OHC engine.

Re: the Mini Cooper, it is still on my list, my wife likes it too as a fun 3rd car or RX8, problem with the Mini is just that "mini", I want more metal around my wife as does she and in the event of a stray civic (Lordy not an SUV) we don't want to get squished.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts