Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this has nothing to do with 300's. I woke up early and decieded i wanted to go fishing. I didnt want to go anywhere local i was feeling advernturous so i went for a drive. so about 3hrs later somewhere past sacramento i was following this river and i seen a sandbar from the road so i decieded that was my spot. i set up at the bank and was enjoying the weather. i seen all these nice size gold flakes all in the sand. and right below the surface of the waters edge was GOLD EVERYWHERE. i walked up and down this 300 foot sandbar and there it was......all over the place.

so i thought to myself.........is this stuff real? or is it fools gold? its not like i discovered this place its obvious people go there all the time to fish and hang out. so i came home and did some research. fools gold doesnt come in dust form. it comes in off yellow/bronze cube form. so i really did discover gold. what should i do?!?!?! here is a picture i took with my phone so you can see what im talking about, its a shot of gold under the water in the sand.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Here's what you should do.....
Tell me where this location is and then forget everything about it!!!!:biggrin:

Seriously, collect as much as you can with a swimming pool net ( skimming ones) and take it too someone reliable for an analysis. Then call me!!

·
Banned
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
should i really do something about it? its allllllll along the shore in both directions. i think its cuz the waves produced by boats cause some sort of "panning" action. the thought of becoming a gold miner sounds to weird to me.

·
Registered
494 Posts
should i really do something about it? its allllllll along the shore in both directions. i think its cuz the waves produced by boats cause some sort of "panning" action. the thought of becoming a gold miner sounds to weird to me.
JRod, first try to determine if it's real 'gold flakes' or something called Iron Pyrite ( fool's gold). Try this link to get some more info 2008 April 14 « Bedrock Dreams

·
Banned
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i determined its real gold, Iron Pyrite (fools gold) doesnt come in dust format only in crystal chunks. i got some flakes bent them with some tweezers. it bends alright. fools gold shatters according to that website. currently gold is at $916 per ounce. i find it a coincidence that the gold i discovered is in the 916 area code......weird huh? 5 quarters weigh the same as an ounce. its not a lot......all this gold talk is starting to make me think crazy thoughts

·
Banned
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
what to do........what to do hm.
any suggestions?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Remember how california came to have most of it's base population? You just found it.
Go to a kitchen store, get a sifter. If you're cheap, you could also use some window screen and four pieces of wood. Then you go back, and collect as much of the stuff as you can find. It's pretty simple, really.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
What to do? Do you even need to ask?

Get back there and scoop as much of it up as you can. Worry about whether it is fools gold when you get it valued. Better to have grabbed it and it not been anything than to wonder what it is whilst someone else is down there getting rich.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I work for a geotechnical engineering company and I've all the equip. at my disposal to filter all the good stuff, You could either send it up here where I can have one of our geologists look at it or more importantly you could just give me GPS coordinants and I'll just go get it myself!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
collect and sell, then buy a challenger srt8:biggrin:

·
Banned
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
well i stayed up late last night just thinking about it. i talked to my pops and showed him pictures. I told him it was kinda crazy going and looking for gold. he said i know where gold is i would be crazy not going and getting it. so im gonna go get some simple equipment and go check it out. i went from 300C lover/weekend casual fishermen to gold digger lol (would that be the right word?) well ill take some pix of what i gathered when i get home later today. wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Years ago when I was working in Alberta, I took a course in panning for gold. With a portable sluice and three of us shoveling for about an hour, we got about an ounce of gold. And this was right within the city limits of Edmonton If all those sparkles in the picture are gold, you could do pretty good just panning for the stuff, especially at close to $1000 an ounce. Normally, the pan is just a prospecting tool use to find the deposits and then you use a sluice to sort through allot more deposit material. I am sure you can find more info on the internet. Careful you don't start another California gold rush!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Jrod707 try to collect as much as you can and ship it to me,dont worry I will pay for shipping,and I will let you know as soon as I find out if its real.:biggrin:

Good luck with your great find,I hope you find out that you really striked gold!And dont forget all your friends on the forum when you cash it in:fing02:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
1) Google panning for gold - should give you an idea of items needed to pan
2) Find a local coin shop/jeweler. They should have what is needed to tell if it's real
3) Become wealthy
4) Good luck

·
Registered
223 Posts
Grab a bunch of silt and take it home. Filter out the "gold" and take it somewhere to be verified. Immediately upon finding out if it's real, return to the site regardless of the time and start filtering your riches. And don't stop 'til its all gone and DONE... No rest. You only get one shot at stuff like that.

But, if it's all up and down the shore I doubt it's gold. We have the same thing here along some streams. I remember in my neighborhood growing up we had a stream behind our house that looked just like that all along the banks.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Check it out but don't get your hopes up too high. Panning for gold works because the gold is much denser than the other particles in the pan. For the same reason, you are not likely to see gold flecks all over the surface of a stream bed. The gold is the first thing to settle out and is likely to be covered by lighter deposits. If the spring runoff left a layer of deposits, the gold would likely be concentrated below the surface of the deposit. On the other hand, perhaps a second rush of water washed away the lighter deposits. Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
494 Posts
WE need to put an APB out for Jrod!!!:grouphug:
It's late and he's not back yet. Hope, the Mafia didn't meet him there!!! LOL.

·
Banned
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
okay so ive returned and im all pink from the sun. i took my lil brother so i could have another person to see this so people dont think im making this up. So i went out and bought a pan so i can "pan for gold" um......has anyone ever tried panning for gold? its freakin hard! does anyone know how to get gold out of sand? besides sitting there and picking it out with tweezers? so i gave up after about an hr and just did some fishing. tons of fish jumping but didnt catch anything. i filled up a cup with sand and ill just tweeze some gold flakes out for further analysis.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts