Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so I plan on doing my own oil change and just purchased 7 quarts of mobil 0w-4- and the mobil filter for $54 (not bad).

My question is do I have to invest another $40 in ramps to get under the car or can I use what I already have.....jack and stands? Is there a place I can get the jack under the front hood to raise car high enough to put under the two jacks?

·
Registered
83 Posts
You should be good with your jack and stands. Make sure to let the car down when putting in the oil or the dip stick won't read right.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
You will have to put your jack in from each side of the car at the stock jacking points as the front of the car may be too low for a floor jack, and there is an expansive belly pan across the front just behind the front bumper fascia. Place the jack stands strategically to allow removal (4 bolts) of the rear central portion of the belly pan without jack stand interference.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You can buy a nice set of ramps from Walmart that are much safer than jacks and stands for about $30. I sprung for the 12,000 rated ones rather than the 8,000 lbs.. You need to be on a concrete or asphalt floor/drive........Then you don't have to worry about denting your frame/jacking points or crushing yourself if a stand collapses........

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can buy a nice set of ramps from Walmart that are much safer than jacks and stands for about $30. I sprung for the 12,000 rated ones rather than the 8,000 lbs.. You need to be on a concrete or asphalt floor/drive........Then you don't have to worry about denting your frame/jacking points or crushing yourself if a stand collapses........
probably a good point..I saw some ramps today at walmart for $40....It would be a shame if I screwed up and the car collapsed on me because I didn't want to spring for $40 ramps...good thing nobody would know because I wouldnt be around to tell!

Headin to walmart tomorrow...also going to buy the wrench to remove the filter...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Jacking points under the door tend to stress the door and body and should only be used to change a flat tire.Lift points under frame exist front and rear . Rear has 2 bumpers. Diagram is in the OWNERS MANUAL.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
The Wal-Mart ramps are the rhino ramps I believe...good luck on the frist change GoHerd90. Is this your first career effort?

Eric

·
Registered
787 Posts
i use the ramps. i also have a couple 2by6s that i put in front of the ramps to make sure the front lip clears.

let me know if you need anything Jim.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
On my car (5.7) I can get my regular sized floor jack under it just barely, then I jack up the front and place jack stands under the control arms; On my dad's SRT8, I have to drive the front wheels up onto a couple short 2 x 6's to make enough room to get the floor jack underneath.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Headin to walmart tomorrow...also going to buy the wrench to remove the filter...
Get the type that goes over the end of the filter, that you can put an extension and ratchet on (rather than the 'band' type that go around the filter and has a handle sticking out the side). Due to the filter's location there is much easier access with the end-cap type. If Wal-Mart doesn't have these, Autozone and Napa do.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Get the type that goes over the end of the filter, that you can put an extension and ratchet on (rather than the 'band' type that go around the filter and has a handle sticking out the side). Due to the filter's location there is much easier access with the end-cap type. If Wal-Mart doesn't have these, Autozone and Napa do.
great advice. when i first decided to change my own oil on my srt, i took kevinj's advise and bought the exact type from napa.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
well all done....besides some oil mess on my floor...ooops things went smooth. I went to autozone and got the rhino ramps...I used a pool paver and placed directly in front which gave it just enough lift to clear ramp. I also got the clamp that fits over entire oil filter ($5) although the filter was fairly loose and I probably didn't need it. Now the drain pin was a bit of a pain as this was on pretty tight but I managed.

I figure my first go around was a bit more expensive since I had to get ramps ($34), clamp ($5) and 15 qt drain pan ($8). Next go around will only cost me for the oil and filter ($55) which beats the $100 or so the dealers want to charge.

And believe me I am not auto mechanic....anyone can do this....even me who sits behind a desk all day long...LOL

There is a STICKY on how to change the oil with pics and everything...thanks for all the input...damn this forum rocks...so far I've manage to take my front fascia off and install grill and now doing my own OIL CHANGES.....damn..funny how the wifey pooh was laughing at me do this..

·
Registered
90 Posts
I considered buying ramps for my first DIY oil change, but found that I didn't need them as there is enough room to slide underneath and do the job without them, but I have an AWD which may have a little more clearance :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah no way on the SRT8...it was a tight fit for me even with the ramps...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Word of caution! I have the metal type ramps and would much prefer the new rubber style ramps. thinking back, I feel foolish to even mention that I had a minor incident where my mini van accidently drove over the tire rest part of the ramp along with a few other close calls. Metal ramps are very slippery if slightly damp, especially with radial tires. After that experience, I nearly Sh*T my pants. In case you're wondering - I no longer use them. FOR SALE!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yes the Rhino ramps are made of a plastic honey comb design and appear to be much stronger than the stamped steel design. Mine have a rubber foot that keeps them from sliding as you drive up on them and a slope so the front fascia doesn't hit them when you drive on and off... I've had the metal ramps and cheap jack stands. They slip around and look like they could collapse if not position right!!!!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Before you do it, you may want to invest in a Fumoto Drain Valve QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil. It'll make the job much easier next time. I got the one with the nipple and have an 18 inch hose on it. This way I can drain directly into waste bottles. No mess at all. When not in use, I cap the hose and tuck it up out of the way by the cross-member, then put the lower engine cover on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts