Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I cranked up the C and the A/C acted up (always have it on here in FL). I had not touched the controls. Instead of coming out of the vents, air was coming out of the defrost vents. Then some vacuum door kicked open and air came out of the vents - but HOT. I played with the 3 buttons, nothing changed, no cool air. I then suffered for 4 days while waiting for the dealers service dept (an hour away) to reopen this AM.

Dropped off the car, was greeted by the salesman before I made it to service dept, seated in his office while he got the service manager for me and basically took care of everything. All this while about 10 other owners were lined up outside in their cars sweltering. Got a loaner, expecting a 3 day fix, and wasted some time around the town. Just before leaving, checked with the dealer. "Air is working fine." My response - "Just what was wrong?" Young mechanic - "We'll, I noticed the A/C button wasn't on".
All my car experiences of the last 25 years flashed before my eyes - repairing, rebuilding, buying, selling, diagnosing problems. Could I have made such a stupid mistake?

The air seems to be fine now. Only thing is - I now have to push the A/C button each time I start the car to get cold air. This was never necessary before. Am I going nuts? Do any of your cars require this? :confused:

P.S. The salesman presented me with a copy of Road and Track's 300 supplement - all about the 300 line. Great reading material.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My AC seems to work fine in auto mode. In fact if I hit the AC button while in Auto mode, it just blinks a few times and goes out. Temps for me this past week have been 75 - 90 deg. Have both zones set to 72 for comfortable temps inside.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My buttons also reset sometimes intermittenly after shutting the car off. Sometimes I have to push one of the ac buttons, an sometimes I dont. Just another problem I have to add to the long list on my c.

·
Registered
272 Posts
hmmmm. i havent had any probs with a/c. i just leave it in auto in both zones at 72deg. it operates fine when i start engine, however, i have noticed that sometimes it seems to take about 5 minutes to start to cool (i'm in ga.).

·
Registered
58 Posts
For you guys leaving your temp on 72 you might as well turn it down all of the way because your mixing heat into your car. Your compressor does not shut off like in your house.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think when in manual mode the seat memory function controls the AC button. It took me a while to get the AC to be on when the car started. I would have the AC on in manual and then set one of the memory presets (the one for the key fob you are using) and see it that works.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a problem a couple weeks ago in Palm Springs on my first C road trip. Turned the car off and it reset, worked fine. If in auto you don't need to hit AC button, if not in auto you do.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is requiring the ac button be hit whether in manual or auto. I will have to check the presets to see if they are affecting this.

·
Banned
10 Posts
If you turn the system to auto ,and put controls to 70 degrees (or whatever) the a/c
will automaticly run with you doing nothing at all. If the inside temp is colder than
that it will automaticly turn on heat. The auto function does just that. there is a
beam that comes out of the eye above the switch's that detect what the temp is
inside the vehicle. The a/c light wont come on if you have everything in auto.
because it switchs from a/c to heat depending on what the temp is inside the vehicle.
Please tell me if i'm wrong but that is how it should work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts