Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I would assume our cars have a limited slip diff don't they?
I was going into a steep driveway at a angle slowly to avoid taking off the front bumper, the car stopped and the left wheel started spinning.:wtf:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yeah, we have LSD in our cars...

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have thought it would transfer drive to the right wheel while the left was spinning.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I would have thought it would transfer drive to the right wheel while the left was spinning.
The SRTs have the Gertag LSD since 2010. The right wheel should have had traction even with the left wheel spinning. Maybe the Traction Control nanny kicked in and momentarily cut power. How long did the car stop for and when did it eventually get traction?

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My brother in law was driving, we stopped and the left started spinning he didn't put his foot much but ended up reversing out and going in again at a better angle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
QUOTE: My brother in law was driving, we stopped and the left started spinning he didn't put his foot much but ended up reversing out and going in again at a better angle.

Your brother probably took his foot off of the gas when the wheel started spinning. I wouldn't worry about it. You can always do a burnout and check that both wheels are "laying patch". (There's an old term for you.)

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just clicked over 800km so I'm going to have try that "just to check" of course....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
It has to do with the multiplication of power that is distributed to each wheel. If one wheel has zero traction, then the torque of the spinning wheel is multiplied by ZERO and nothing get transferred to the other side. But, if one wheel is spinning, but has some torque, then that gets transferred to the other side. The LSD is not LOCKED like an off road Jeep Rubicon diff

I built a track GTI and went with the wavetrac because of this issue. Read below from their website

To best understand how the Wavetrac® is truly different from the other gear differentials on the market, you first have to understand the primary problem that the Wavetrac® solves.
The problem: Loss of drive during zero or near-zero axle-load conditions.
Zero axle-load is a condition that occurs during normal driving, but creates the most noticeable problems when driving in extreme conditions. Zero or near-zero axle-load is the condition that exists when there is ‘no-load’ applied through the drivetrain, when one drive wheel is nearly or completely lifted (often in aggressive cornering). It also occurs during the transition from engine driving a vehicle to engine braking and back, even with both drive wheels firmly on the ground.
Here’s how that loss of drive hurts you:
1) If you lift a wheel, all gear diffs except Wavetrac®, will NOT power the other wheel.
2) During the transition from accel to decel, all gear diffs except Wavetrac®, do nothing.
Why does this happen?
All gear LSDs (including Torsen®, Truetrac®, Quaife®, Peloquin, OBX, etc.) work in basically the same manner: they divide the drive torque between the two axles, applying drive to each side, up to the available grip of each tire. The amount of drive torque one wheel can get over the other is described as the bias ratio, a measure of the torque split across the axle.
Standard, open differentials have a bias ratio of 1:1. They can only apply as much drive torque as there is available traction at one wheel. When one wheel loses grip, the total available drive is lost as well (at a 1:1 ratio). All your power goes out the slipping wheel - along the path of least resistance.
Torque biasing differentials offer increased bias ratios over open differentials. For example, if a diff has a bias ratio of 2.5:1, then it can apply drive torque to the wheel with the most traction (gripping wheel) at 2.5 times the traction limit of the wheel with the least traction (slipping wheel). This is a significant improvement over an open diff… most of the time.
The problem is that when one tire has LITTLE or NO grip (zero axle-load), the other wheel gets ZERO DRIVE, because (basic math here): 2.5 x 0 = 0.
Lift a wheel (or substantially unload a wheel) and you get zero axle-load on that side - that means that during the time the wheel is unloaded, the typical diff will NOT power the wheel that’s still on the ground. No matter how high the bias ratio, you get no power to the ground.
During the transition from accel to decel, where you have near zero torque on the axle, even if the wheels are on the ground, the typical diff is unable to begin applying drive torque until AFTER the zero torque condition is over. While this condition is generally short-lived, the fact that most diffs can do nothing during that time means that there will be a delay once the zero torque condition stops - creating a reaction time in the driveline.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Thanks for that explanation, CTSRT8...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome. I just joined last month. Picked up a 2013 that looks just like yours (hofb99). Had 14K miles. It is an awesome car. I had a deposit on new CLA45 but could not justify the cost. No discounts being given. I have always loved SRT vehicles. I almost went for the Jeep GCSRT, but a good set of winter tires should do the job...

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Welcome. I just joined last month. Picked up a 2013 that looks just like yours (hofb99). Had 14K miles. It is an awesome car. I had a deposit on new CLA45 but could not justify the cost. No discounts being given. I have always loved SRT vehicles. I almost went for the Jeep GCSRT, but a good set of winter tires should do the job...
You, my good Sir, have incredible taste in vehicles!!! :headbang: lol You know, it's quite crazy how I can't seem to find another 2nd Gen 300 SRT on the road! I come across tons of Chargers, Challys and 1st Gen 300 SRTs, but ours are REALLY hard to find out there! Everytime I see an "S", I get excited...until it gets closer, then I just sigh w/ disappointment... But, on the flip side of that, it's all good because I'm starting to appreciate the "exlusivity". :tongue2:

EDIT: And to add, for the money, the CLA45 AMG is where it's @!!! An AMG for around the same price as our car?!! Who'd thought you could own an entry level AMG for such an affordable price??? Tried to convince the wife to consider it, but she can't get over the "odd shape" of the body...lol And, she tried to convince me to get the Jeep SRT, but I couldn't see myself forking over an additional $10K for the same accomodations that the 300 offered. Who knows, maybe one day! (I do prefer the Jeep over the sedan--the GCSRT WK1 was my first favorite SRT anyway!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts