Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title say...Does the engine stamping # match the VIN number in some way? See my other post for reasons why I may need to know :(

Todd

·
Registered
145 Posts
not any more, I hope that helps

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jketron said:
not any more, I hope that helps
Good info. I'm not sure what the dealership will want to do about it, but it seems that engine replacement has become a standard these days and not rebuilding. I'm not sure what the oil issue is yet, it appears to be valve guide related, as it is a little dependent on crank position.

Todd

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
300CUL8R had his engine swapped and had concerns over the VIN and it no longer being a "matching numbers" car.

He was told they do NOT stamp the engine anymore by the dealership since engine swaps are more commonplace.

Philosophically speaking I think it's great! I can't stand the collector car market wanting "number's matching" A 71 427 Vette with original engine is work $75k. THe same 71 427 with a refurbed 71 427 block is worth about $20k less. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
437 Posts
There must be a number stamped somewhere on the block. At the very least a date code molded into the casting :confused:

·
Registered
435 Posts
vvv90 said:
300CUL8R had his engine swapped and had concerns over the VIN and it no longer being a "matching numbers" car.

He was told they do NOT stamp the engine anymore by the dealership since engine swaps are more commonplace.
Nice memory vvv!!! That is indeed what I was told. Whether it's correct is another story.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
300CUL8R said:
Nice memory vvv!!! That is indeed what I was told. Whether it's correct is another story.
It certainly would be hard to forget your heartbreaking thread that's for sure.

Glad everything worked out for you.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
arnoldw said:
There must be a number stamped somewhere on the block. At the very least a date code molded into the casting :confused:
That's what I'm thinking. I think more research is needed. I would think there's SOME kind of evidence like a date stamp or something.

·
Registered
437 Posts
vvv90 said:
That's what I'm thinking. I think more research is needed. I would think there's SOME kind of evidence like a date stamp or something.
I'm due for an oil change in a few days. I'll have a good look around. If I find something I'll take some pics. :reporter:

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
vvv90 said:
None what so ever... the engine has a part number / casting numbers / but no serialized numbers. The RPO codes for options specify configurations but not serialization, as it is not used on most production cars. Exceptions are those "handbuilt" production cars. Most others are just parts in a parts bin.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
btlfed1500 said:
None what so ever... the engine has a part number / casting numbers / but no serialized numbers. The RPO codes for options specify configurations but nor serialization is use on most production cars. Exceptions are those "handbuilt" production cars. Most others are just parts in a parts bin.

I think time will tell once the collector car market (maybe 30 years from now) actually furthers the research.

There has to be some reference somewhere docmented behind closed doors(not publicly released yet) that shows when and where part numbers and casting numbers were built.

Forensically speaking. There's always a trail.

Probably not something definite, but enough to determine if it's "possible" that engine is not original.

I only bring this up because of my experience dealing with NCRS Corvette owners. You would actually be amazed at what lengths they go to to determine orginality of parts. i.e. looking at size and shape of casting marks that show an iron injection caster being built and used for post '75 parts, so there's no way it would be a '74. Ridulous stuff like that! :eek:

If there's a will there's a way.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You had better bet that with ISO quality control programs that the auto industry uses (and requires vendors to use) there is a way to trace the origin and use of an individual engine. :yawn:

·
Registered
117 Posts
arnoldw said:
So, 20 Years from Now, it will be billed as a "Date Code Matching" Car...

The whole reason for the "Numbers Matching" craze is the so-called "Virginal" status of the car, i.e. "as She rolled off the Assemby Line," etc etc.

I must admit, given the choice betwixt a Numbers Match & Non Numbers Match, I'd pick the Numbers Match.

Now, an "ALL Numbers Matching Car", that's truly a rare find. Collector Cars with ALL their Serialed parts matching are unusual, esp Muscle Cars, which lead hard lives...

IMHO

LJB :smoker:

·
Registered
437 Posts
update!!!

Just got back from my oil change/photoshoot. Looks like everything is traceable. Here are pics of the engine/trans. The last 6 digits match. (they don't match the body number however) :eek:mfg:
The trans has 2 sets of numbers. I believe the top one is the individual sequence number(which matches the last 6 digits on the engine). The other one which starts with "P" is probably the transmission part number.
If someone with an '05 300c could verify that their numbers are the same or different from mine, then we'll know for sure that the number on the engine isn't just a part number.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Here's a couple of the diff. (looks like a 2:82 ratio)
and another one on the front of the driver side valve cover. The top number matches the number on the block.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts