Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Despite the 300C being a very comfortable car and it having loads of room I was finding my back very strained at times when driving. OK I have a very bad back and my hip and knee joints are not of the best but this was ruining my pleasure in the car. The problem really was that my right knee was not supported and tending to wobble on its own. I also didn't have a firm fulcrum point for throttle control. So I came up with this idea.

I used a number of foam rubber sponges taped to a hardboard backing which in turn was pinned to a wooden block at the top. Covered it with some mock sheepskin material I had to hand which I stapled on to the back. I adapted a small bracket which screws onto the top block in such a way as to prevent the rest from being pushed forward and that was only screwed to the block. The rest was then fastened to the door trim using of all things Uhu "White Tack". A product similar to Blu-Tak but white in colour, like its blue counterpart it can be removed without any staining or marking. What a difference this has made to my enjoyment of the car - but also to my driving as my body is now braced when cornering. If you don't like or fancy the idea fair enough but bear in mind that these cars and their basic seating were designed for LHD where the right knee would be supported by the central console.
Cheers John

·
Registered
152 Posts
Quick ,Patent it John before the Americans get a hold of it.:twak:
Right guys lets give John a hand in naming his new gadget.
1) FACKA (Fluffy Adaptive Cornering Knee Aid):fing02:

·
Registered
390 Posts
"mock sheepskin"??? You live in Scotland, for Pete's sake! :twak: If you want to keep the car classy, you have to go for the real thing... :)

In all seriousness, I can easily imagine your problem on RHD cars. My left leg tends to wander over to my door on my LHD car, which isn't terribly comfortable. I can't say that your solution is all that aesthectically pleasing, but I'm glad it does the job for you. I certainly know how hard it is to integrate any changes into the doors of these cars. I've been trying to figure out some way to get integrated arm rest padding for ages.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Listen mate, we keep all our sheep VERY busy over here - never mind the kilt - ask any true Scotsman what the Wellington Boots are for!! I'll give you a hint, left hind leg in there, right hind leg in there................... I remember well the TV program that referred to our Highland Cousins (Teuchters to us Lowlanders) as "Sheepsha99ers" So there is no real sheepskin available. :)
I would agree that aesthetically it is not 100% but it fulfills my two main purposes - one to support my knee and two to be removable when I trade the car without leaving a trace - I can have it off of there (Ooops I mean the rest off of there) in well under a minute including removal of every trace of the White Tack stuff.
Yours (with more than a touch of humour) John

·
Registered
315 Posts
All I can say is come back Hadrian all is forgiven. I prefer my sheep on a plate with a little mint sauce. Still the scots have always been 'Heath Robinson' or for those across the pond 'Rube Goldberg'

Derick

(In 122 AD the Roman Emporer Hadrian, ordered a wall to be built between the Solway Firth in the West and the River Tyne in the east "to separate Romans from Barbarians").

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ha Derick,
I managed to sneek over the border on Friday on a grab raid to Preston, (collecting my sons new telly). never seen no Barbarians though. Seen a Mineral Grey Touring heading southbound near Lanacaster at about 3pm. Anyone on here? Also Traffic gave me and my mate (also a Cop) a good look over before speeding off.
LOL

·
Registered
176 Posts
Despite the 300C being a very comfortable car and it having loads of room I was finding my back very strained at times when driving. OK I have a very bad back and my hip and knee joints are not of the best but this was ruining my pleasure in the car. The problem really was that my right knee was not supported and tending to wobble on its own. I also didn't have a firm fulcrum point for throttle control. So I came up with this idea.

I used a number of foam rubber sponges taped to a hardboard backing which in turn was pinned to a wooden block at the top. Covered it with some mock sheepskin material I had to hand which I stapled on to the back. I adapted a small bracket which screws onto the top block in such a way as to prevent the rest from being pushed forward and that was only screwed to the block. The rest was then fastened to the door trim using of all things Uhu "White Tack". A product similar to Blu-Tak but white in colour, like its blue counterpart it can be removed without any staining or marking. What a difference this has made to my enjoyment of the car - but also to my driving as my body is now braced when cornering. If you don't like or fancy the idea fair enough but bear in mind that these cars and their basic seating were designed for LHD where the right knee would be supported by the central console.
Cheers John

I don't like it.

Do not appear with it at the 4th May meet at New Lanark.

Maybe your local coach trimmer can take it as a prototype and come up with a leather pad. I recently got the elbow pad set from 22Elite. If something neat could be invented then someone could maybe market a leaft and a right design for both markets (ie the LHD and the RHD).

PS If you insist on wearing it on the 4th let me know so I can leave my B&Q vinyl flooring in the back of my car.

G.
PS well done on your solution. In fact, maybe you could dye it grey? Either that or install a matching white sheepskin steering wheel cover. And why not some sheepskin mats while you're at it?

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know why you all have a problem with it. The idea was to give me more comfort while driving but to be removable without leaving a trace when I got rid of the car. I made if from materials I had to hand at a total cost of zilch. Leather would change the whole feel of the pad and to be honest I fail to see any advantage in black sheepskin over white sheepskin. I certainly wouldn't be happy screwing that or even a leather pad onto the car but the design concept was achieved without having to resort to a permenant fitment. We had one UK Member who recently underwent a hip operation and it was for folk like him I decided to post the idea on here. It is a cheap, easy solution to discomfort that I am sure I am not alone in feeling.
Cheers John

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ok it was a cheap remark about Hadrian and his wall. You guys ( well Lol at least) have obviously found a way of getting over and / or around it.

At least the inventive nature of the Scots is still alive and kicking and I appreciate the thought as regards my metal inplant. Heh, John, can you design one for the Right posterior area now that you've sorted out your knee problem.
Derick

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The problem you lot have is that you keep thinking Hadrian built the wall to keep the Scots and Picts out. What you don't realise is that it was to stop the Roman soldiers escaping into beautiful Scotland to enjoy themselves - better women, faster chariots, stronger drink!! :fing02:
Cheers John

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, how about this then - it even matches my patented Knee Support. A nice bit of mock lambswool if I say so myself. You can visit their website at The Back Care Warehouse although they advertise just below these postings entitled "Knee Braces and Supports" Cheers John

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
i know where you can get hold of some free TEMPUR memory foam blocks which would be ideal for something like this ;-)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hey, how about this then - it even matches my patented Knee Support. A nice bit of mock lambswool if I say so myself. You can visit their website at The Back Care Warehouse although they advertise just below these postings entitled "Knee Braces and Supports" Cheers John
hey that's a good idea!
Aside from the car, one of those cushions would be useful on a 5 hour flight from Washington to San Francisco on one of the cheap airline economy seats with what feels like 1/4" foam padding. Particularly nice would be the model with the coccyx relief cut-out!

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi BMEWS, Grab 'em quick - I can feel a Mark 11 model coming on.
PM me if you have them to hand and can post them up.
Cheers John

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi BMEWS, Grab 'em quick - I can feel a Mark 11 model coming on.
PM me if you have them to hand and can post them up.
Cheers John
I'll have to go look for the carrier bag full of them that I perloined from a bed shop they even come with the fluffy cover. I was using them as screen cleaner for the inside of the car. The only problem you will have with them is they're rock hard when cold but soon as they warm up they go all nice and squidgy.

It may be worthwhile contacting tempur too for a "sample" I also know they make pillows which are pretty good for the rump end however, they're not cheap.

If I find the bag i'll PM you and you can give me some postal details (unless of course I get my new car and can make it up for the 4th).

Al

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still hopeful of coming up to see us I note. That would be excellent. Hope you can find the Tempur samples - it will give me a chance of improving on my idea.
Thanks and cheers, John

1 - 20 of 34 Posts