Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever drove with 22' chrome wheels in the winter?

What will happen?

Why don't peeps do it?

What damage will occur?

thx.

·
Registered
331 Posts
No!!!!!!!!!

NO!!
NO!!
NO!!
NO!!
NO!!
NO!!
NO!!
NO!!
NO!!
NO!!
NO!!
NO!!
NO!!
NO!!
NO!!

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salt, sand and/or freezing rain almost daily here in Oklahoma. I would not be able to keep them clean. I at least get to handwash my car weekly in the Spring and Summer. I use the automatic carwash int he winter. Wheels and tires are too wide to fit the guide at the automatic carwash.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Sure if you live in California, Florida or somewhere where it's warm and the coldest it gets is 40-50 degrees at night.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Back to stockers for the wintertime for me. Road salt + Chrome = BAD NEWS... it takes enough time and effort to keep 22's cleaned and polished in the summertime!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Don't do it. I just bought 22" chrome wheels and won't even put them on for at least another month.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Move To Az Lol

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
As already stated, it's an all around bad idea. I don't know about the rest of the snowy states... but in Michigan the larger concern would be the potholes that are created by the plows. Talk about bent rims, blah. Boo winter.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are amazing,

Ok Now I understand why not.

I didn't do it I put the stocks on but I saw a car with chrome wheels pass me so I wondered why not.

Thank you all so much for the replies.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I swap 2-3 times per month from steelies to 22's. Hate the look if 17's, but cannot live with the salt and 22's...:cussing:

Few more months..........

·
Registered
465 Posts
my 22's are stored in the garage. i am heading to las vegas so im putting them on for the trip. its almost spring here too!

·
Registered
690 Posts
def not worth keeping them on if your area has salt. salt plus chrome dosent mix.
on top of that im assuming that you have summer tires on your 22s. Summers and cold weather dont mix well either. Summer tires are a harder compund that will jsut freeze once temps get near freezing. Winter tires are a much softer compound that will remain usable even at sub zero temps.

·
Registered
155 Posts
def not worth keeping them on if your area has salt. salt plus chrome dosent mix.
on top of that im assuming that you have summer tires on your 22s. Summers and cold weather dont mix well either. Summer tires are a harder compund that will jsut freeze once temps get near freezing. Winter tires are a much softer compound that will remain usable even at sub zero temps.
Like he said. Once salt pits your chrome, no amount of cleaning will make them shine again. Not worth the risk. I wont put my chromes back on until after a couple of good rain falls in the spring to rinse the roads.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The chrome won't be bothered by the salt...it's that the snow/ice performance of a large lo-pro wheel and tire will be CRAP. You need sidewalls to help move you along in deep snow.
Chroming was originally developed as a plating to increase the durability of otherwise very delicate finishes (steel, aluminum, etc) because chrome doesn't rust, and is VERY hard, so being exposed to the elements isn't the problem. They're harder to keep looking clean, so that's probally what most people's problem with them in the winter is. I have the stock chrome 18"s on my car, and while they don't look the best, there's no trouble with them rusting or pitting or anything. Polished aluminum though, you'd better watch out.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The chrome won't be bothered by the salt...it's that the snow/ice performance of a large lo-pro wheel and tire will be CRAP. You need sidewalls to help move you along in deep snow.
Chroming was originally developed as a plating to increase the durability of otherwise very delicate finishes (steel, aluminum, etc) because chrome doesn't rust, and is VERY hard, so being exposed to the elements isn't the problem. They're harder to keep looking clean, so that's probally what most people's problem with them in the winter is. I have the stock chrome 18"s on my car, and while they don't look the best, there's no trouble with them rusting or pitting or anything. Polished aluminum though, you'd better watch out.
I beg to differ. It is largely dependent on the quality of the chroming job and alot of these wheels are made cheaply offshore.
No one said they would rust but they do corrode, you know that white powerdery crap. I use my factory wheels, chrome, every winter and they look like crap, corroded everywhere from the salt. The plastic center is ok but the chrome plated aluminum edge is now corroded garbage. My chrome wheels that I take off for the winter and never see salt shine like mirrors and only require a light dusting once in a while. Chrome doesnt rust but it will corrode when it comes into contact with salt and it is not cleaned off.

Excellent info can be found here:
PDK AUTOMOTIVE - CHROME PLATING WARRANTY ISSUES

·
Premium Member
697 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
i live in michigan and keep them on all year they really suck in the winter thoe you dont move very well but i go back and forth to missouri every week so i dont feel like switching them all the time so i say f it and run them i have had to replace 2 rims this year due to potholes but o well need to look good
and there is a price to pay for that

1 - 20 of 20 Posts